Join Strat-Talk Today

Some Fender Mod Shop Questions ?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Markee, May 12, 2019.

1. Markee

Markee Strat-Talk Member

I'm a Lefty considering a Fender Mod Shop build. Really I just want to get an Elite but there is absolutely no color options except one for lefty's so hoping I can duplicate the the main Elite options I want along with a better choice of colors and a Maple finger board is all ?

I don't ask for much
    The main option I'm looking for is the Contoured Neck Heel ?

I see they offer the Modern Compound-profile “C” to “D”-shaped neck that come on the Elite but what I don't see is when you order that newer Modern neck does it also come with or do they offer the Contoured Neck Heel ? If not its a deal kill for me right off the bat

The other thing I'd like is the S-1 switching I see they offer the Gen 4 Noiseless pickups as a Mod Shop option same as the Elite but does it also come with or can you get the S-1 switching system ?

Hoping someone here can answer those questions for sure one way or the other is all ??

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  2. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Seems the "mod shop" is just a way to assemble unconventional colors and necks. I've not seen options for the contoured heel or non-standard electronics.
    I'd give Fender Customer Relations a call to clarify your concerns, but I really think you're either stuck with 3TSB or Cu$tom $hop.... or get the ModShop in the color you'd like and assemble your own loaded pickguard with the S1 options.

3. Markee

Markee Strat-Talk Member

Yeah waiting to hear back from Customer Relations
    I don't know anything about the Custom shop what do you think would be the cheapest I could get an Elite Lefty with all the normal options that the righty already comes with like Maple neck contoured heel and S-1 switching I'd be with almost any color other then boring 3TSB ????

4. CB91710

Pricing I've seen on CS "production" models is $3500+ at places like Sweetwater.
    I don't think you'd get one built to spec for less.
    If the electronics are more important than the contoured heel, I'd go for the mod shop and upgrade the electronics.

5. Markee

Markee Strat-Talk Member

Contoured heel is number one importance I don't think I could get myself to buy one with out it having Compound-profile “C” to “D”-shaped neck don't make alot of sense to me without a Contoured heel to go along with it

6. strats62

strats62 New Member!

http://www.usacustomguitars.com

build your own. you get exactly what you want

color, neck specs, pickups, hardware, contour heel....all of it

and for less $$

simoncroft and Groovey like this.
  7. Markee

Markee Strat-Talk Member

Can they make them for you with True Fender parts so it would be a true fender guitar and not a USA Custom ?

8. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster

That would not be a "true Fender guitar." It's a partscaster, assembled by USA Custom from Fender parts. I like the idea of a partscaster from 100% Fender parts, but that's not a Fender guitar.

9. strats62

strats62 New Member!

they won't do it for you but if it's that important that it has true fender parts you can do it yourself. go to ebay and or reverb and search for a fender body and neck with your specs, (refinish if necessary) order some fender hardware, pickups etc and find a luthier to set it up for you if you don't feel confident doing it yourself

choices are endless and you get exactly what you want

for example....

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=382499065643

https://www.ebay.com/p/Fender-Strat...rboard-0994622921/2255982373?iid=311897270500

fwiw, usacg and other aftermarkets make some quality stuff.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    Markee and Groovey like this.
  10. Markee

Markee Strat-Talk Member

Probably just buy this below used GC deal its got almost everything i want except the Maple neck and just settle for the boring 3TSB color i don't really want to buy a none Fender Custom.
    Pretty sure I can wheel and deal this thing out the door for 1K with some 15% coupons floating around and use my my bizness tax ID to kill the sales tax.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/F...e-Stratocaster-Left-Handed-Electric-Guitar.gc

IMG-0164.JPG IMG-0167.JPG

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  11. Numbercruncher

Numbercruncher Strat-O-Master

They are located in the same part of Washington State as Warmoth. I suspect they are the same company. At least the same like Fender and Charvel are the same.

NC

12. Markee

Markee Strat-Talk Member

Spoke to Fender Customer Relations twice today and there absolutely not going to let me get the contoured heel or any non-standard electronics like the S-1 switching if its not offered on the Mod shop page you can't get it no exceptions. They suck

13. Grux

Grux Strat-O-Master

Have you considered G&L? They are much cheaper than fenders cs and everyone you order is custom for YOU. Really well built and sound killer man, just my 2 cents.

Markee likes this.
  14. strats62

strats62 New Member!

i retrofitted one of my strats to a contour heel.

get a fender contour neck plate ($10)

take off the original plate, screw on the contour plate with the 3 original holes 1st then redrill the new 4th contour hole

mark off the area to be sanded away with some painters tape and have at it

once you get the desired contour, wood glue a dowel rod in the original 4th hole (i used the end of a golf tee)

smooth it all out with some wood filler and patch repaint

for the S-1 switching it shouldn't be hard to find someone to rewire it for you

not that difficult and you get what you want

[​IMG]

15. Markee

Markee Strat-Talk Member

The G&L's are interesting but kind of got my brain set on an one of the new Elite's

Grux likes this.
  16. Markee

Markee Strat-Talk Member

Nice job I already did one with Wudtone retrofit refinish on a Highway One Strat below and it wasn't fun lucky I didn't mess it up took about 20 redoes to get the finish looking right. Don't think it makes sense money wise to try and piece together all those lefty Elite parts when I can buy one in like new shape used for around $1100 from GC ?

11392904_10153487850038812_1911921809696678612_n.jpg 111.jpg

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    simoncroft, strats62 and 3bolt79 like this.
  17. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

I am thinking about ordering one from the mod shop for my next new strat, but their website is ridiculous, I will have to call and talk to somebody. It is probably going to be full on custom shop, though, as I don't think I can get the neck profile I want with a big headstock.

18. CB91710

Mod Shop only does the "American Performer" in the big headstock.
    I really do like the neck on my American Special, but it is a 9.5 "Modern C" and not for everyone.

19. strats62

strats62 New Member!

sounds like you've got 5 possibilities...

if everything must be original "Fender"

1) order from the mod shop and learn to live with what they won't give you

2) place an order with the custom shop and get exactly what you want (but have to wait 6-8 months and pay ~4K)

3) buy one off the rack and mod it best you can (or again, live with what you don't get)

4) piece together original fender parts until you get exactly what you want

or, if it's not a dealbreaker to have it be all original "Fender"

5) get an aftermarket body, neck, pickups etc, etc and go for it. there are people that can do a finish, wiring, setup etc if you don't want/can't do it yourself

here is my last build.

sonic blue thin nitro finish
    USACG one piece quartersawn maple neck finished vintage amber nitro and the back sanded off then recoated with a few light layers of Tru-Oil.
    1.685" nut width
    .830" at the 1st fret, .920" at the 12th
    10" radius
    6105 frets
    rolled fingerboard edges
    bone nut
    vintage Kluson tuners (18:1)
    USACG swamp ash body
    Fralin Blues Special pickups
    Vintage Callaham tremolo bridge/block and hardware
    Plek'd with George @ the Music Gallery (Chicago).....

fullsizeoutput_cf0.jpeg fullsizeoutput_cf1.jpeg

all told i have about $1300 in it.

i have a 58' CS Strat relic that looks, plays and sounds fantastic. is it better? no, especially when you consider the $$ difference (and there are a couple things i would have changed had i been able to order it)

good luck with your search. i hope you find what you want

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    simoncroft and Markee like this.
  20. Markee

Markee Strat-Talk Member

If I wasn't a lefty I'd have no problem finding what i want and tons of used ones kicking all around in almost every possible color but not in lefty. Guess I'll just have to settle for one with at-least all my mandatory functional features i want contoured neck heal modern C to D neck S-1 switching just not gonna be able to get the color of my choice and maybe no Maple fret board not to bad of a sacrifice specially if i can grab a like new used one off GC for around 1k or better yet if the one on Reverb below link with maple panes out

https://reverb.com/item/17629230-fender-american-elite-stratocaster-2015-left-handed

strats62 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.