Join Strat-Talk Today

Specs: 2001 US Deluxe vs 1996 US ‘anniversary’ & 2010 US standards

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by JonnyBGood, Mar 17, 2019.

1. JonnyBGood

JonnyBGood Strat-Talk Member

Hi guys

First post here, about to buy my first Strat and the 3 models in subject line are being sold privately locally. I am here to hopefully get some more details on the spec differences, and confirmation that my research is right (I know that the 96 isn’t an anniversary ltd edition). Forum rules do not allow me to post links to the ads yet.

I think I’m right in saying that all are 9.5 radius (pretty sure that the compound radius was introduced on later Deluxe models), same trem and 22 frets.

Tuners: The Deluxe has locking tuners, other two are standard non locking.

Pickups: I *think* noiseless on the Deluxe/Fat 50s on the 96? 2010 has been modded as per ad.

Any fret wire differences with these three? Body shape/contour differences? Anything else I am missing?

Will post links/pics as soon as I am able.

Thanks

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier Freak Strat-Talk Supporter

Welcome to the forum - what are the prices on these? That's just as important!!

A 1996 would not have Fat 50s, those pickups had not been invented yet.....

Body contours vary from guitar to guitar and year to year, you'd have to see in person to tell if any have deeper contours etc.....

3. John C

John C Senior Stratmaster

You are correct that all 3 have the 9.5" radius; the American Deluxes move to the compound radius for 2010. Fret wire would be whatever Fender was using at the time that they called "medium jumbo". They changed slightly over the year, but not drastically so. Body contour should be pretty much the same for the 2001 American Deluxe and the 2010 American Standard; the 1996 will have the more squared-off contours they used at that time.

Of those three:

• 2001 Deluxe should have Vintage Noiseless pickups, would have the locking tuners, and a snap-in trem arm. A 2001 would not have the S-1 switching (which starts in 2004) or the contoured neck heel (starts in mid-late 2002).
    • 1996 - we need more information - it could be an American Standard or it could be one of the other models (they had a Roadhouse Strat model that had Texas Special pickups instead of the regular American Standard pickups).
    • 2010 - what are the mods?

CyFan4036 and Guitarmageddon like this.
  4. JonnyBGood

OK thanks for info guys.

Deluxe: £750

96 Standard: £800. I'm pretty sure its American standard, that's what the owner says

2010 standard: £700 (mod. with Texas specials at neck and middle, Seymour Duncan Alnico II pro Humbucker at bridge. T-shell pickguard)

5. JonnyBGood

...and I should say I am a SRV/John Mayer trio tone fan so the 2010 is pretty enticing...

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  6. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

You'd do good at sharing the links to those sales if online.

7. JonnyBGood

I can't, as mentioned above. Looks like I have to be registered for a whole day first before I can post links.

8. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier Freak Strat-Talk Supporter

All you have to do is copy the link from your address bar into the message......super easy! Or, give the ebay item numbers.....

Or if it's gumtree tell us the location and titles of the ads.....

9. JonnyBGood

That's what I've been trying to do, as I keep saying it throws up an error message saying I can't post links yet. Lets try ID numbers as you suggest:

Gumtree; 1330924254
    Facebook market place: 537726440068911 and 369763090517192

10. ChrisD

ChrisD Strat-O-Master

11. JonnyBGood

Thanks Chris. Try editing these for Fbook ones:

wwwDOTfacebookDOTcomSLASHmarketplaceSLASHitemSLASH369763090517192SLASH?surface=product_details
    wwwDOTfacebookDOTcomSLASHmarketplaceSLASHitemSLASH537726440068911SLASH?surface=product_details

12. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Strat-O-Master

That 2010 looks pretty solid. I just picked up a 2016 American Standard and it is the best guitar, not just Strat, that I’ve ever played. So slinky it’s like the stings are rubber bands. I can always get my guitars slinky but this is oddly AMAZING! So I would, among many other reasons, eagerly recommend the last generation of American Standards.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  13. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Strat-O-Master

jaybones likes this.
  14. JonnyBGood

Not quite, you missed the ? before 'surface' in each link :)

CyFan4036 likes this.
  15. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Strat-O-Master

Oops

16. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Stratmaster

The benefit of the 2010 Standard is the straight screw, bent steel bridge saddles, where as the other two have the offset screw, block saddles. I don't want to start a big discussion of the several reasons why, but I'm not a fan of those offset saddles. In my opinion, the main downside of the 2010 is that the original pickups are no longer in it! While the pups in it aren't "bad" per-se, they won't give as many of those John Mayer and SRV sounds as the original, Standard pups would have. Now if he had the original pups to throw in, it would be fantastic!
    Just My $.02 & Likely Worth Even Less!
    Gene

17. JonnyBGood

Thanks for your input - could you tell me what pickups would have been in the 2010, and I'm curious why you think they would give more SRV-type sounds than the pickups SRV used. Not trying to be a smart ass here, I'm on this forum to learn/research.

18. Ace38

Ace38 Strat-Talker

Get the one that sounds best to your ears and plays best in your hands. Your amp setup will have more to do with your sound than the pickups will. I will grant one thing though, Mayer and SRV didn't use humbuckers, so the 2010's bridge humbucker counts against it if you're wanting something specific. The sounds we all know and love came from guys running mostly stock guitars (I dont know about Mayer, but SRV didn't have some fancy boutique wound pickup) so get the guitar you like best and invest in a good amp if you don't already have one.

CyFan4036 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.