Join Strat-Talk Today

speculative modification: EOB Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by circles, Mar 25, 2019.

1. circles

circles Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Lo my guitar shopping was put on brakes due to circumstances beyond my control (see how calm that was?), but that might be a good thing, as I've been investigating more options.

I was frustrated with Fender's offerings, and started looking at other guitars (gasp!). Once I turned down the Dark Side I was led to the PRS Custom 24 with piezo. But my searched 'circle'd me back to Fender when I found out about the EOB Strat.

Fender-EOB-Sustainer-Stratocaster.jpg

What it is: From what I can tell it's a EC inspired Mexi-Strat, that has some serious electrical modifications, most notably with a sustainer system, and very cool slim humbucker in the bridge. While it's not exactly what I was looking for, it's got possibilities.

What I wanna do: I'd be happy with it overall, but I'm very interested in installing (I really mean having a qualified luthier installing) a trem with piezo. Some routing would be required for wiring, and a new jack put in as well, but even with mods, I don't seeing costing as much as the PRS I was considering.

Why I wanna do it: That would give me two signals from the same guitar to play with, one of them piezo. The PRS's system is much more sophisticated, being able to blend the signals and so on, but I think that's more of a luxury than a necessity.

Damage: I do suppose I'd have to put in small knobs for piezo tone/volume, but the aesthetics of the design have already been violated by the two little switches, so whatever. I also plan to rip off Tom Anderson, remove the one strap point, and have two installed.

Pure Strat Tone? I'm not looking to replicate any Strat tone from the past, but to expand my musical palette, especially since I'm getting into pedals, weird ambient tracks, and exploring musical psychedelia.

Bonus: it's white/maple, my favorite.

So, those of you in the know - is that nuts?

Yves, elduderinoTF and Bowmap like this.
  2. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Gold Member

It's pretty crowded in the body. Where would you put the piezo pre-amp?

EOB002-sm.jpg

circles likes this.
  3. Bowmap

A couple points...

1) Battery life maybe good for 1 gig. Dead battery = no sound.
    2) In sustain mode, only the bridge pickup is active. The middle is just hanging out with it's buds and the neck is repeating (re-energizing) the strings.
    3) Soft V fat neck. After all it is an Ed O'Brien signature model. That is what the artist liked. I am getting used to it but my comfort zone is in a modern 'C'.

It is an interesting idea to see how the piezo would react with the Fernandez sustainer. Were you thinking about using Graphtec's Ghost system?

circles likes this.
  4. circles

Dunno, was thinking about that myself. I'd have to get hands on one to even speculate, but I don't mine drilling or modifying the guts or back to accommodate. Should be do-able, somehow.

Bowmap likes this.
  5. circles

Thanks for the info!

1 Battery life... I'll get a bunch of rechargeables.
    2 I'm cool with sustain mode knocking out the middle man.
    3 I was thinking much about the neck. I think I should be able to get my hands on one of those necks to try. But even if it's different, I should be able to adapt.
    4. I was thinking Fishman-like, but I am not educated yet on these things.

If I pull can this off, I can see running the piezo into a Roland amp, the magnetic into my Supersonic. Could be some crazy cool tone stacking.

Bowmap likes this.
  6. Bowmap

The Ghost pre-amp is small at 1 1/8 by 1 5/8. You could even go overboard on this with Graphtech's midi board. Anyways at that size on the opposite side of the battery box it looks like there is room for a route to hold the pre-amp.

circles likes this.
  7. circles

Thank you. It seems like it is do-able. I must investigate further.

Either way, I'll get a cool HSS Strat! :thumb:

Bowmap likes this.
  8. Bowmap

Graphtech's system replaces the saddles on a strat. So you can keep the same tremolo. I have not heard Graphtech's system. But on paper looks nice.

Andrew Wasson and circles like this.
  9. Bowmap

Well it's about time. he he.

circles likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.