Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Springs on tremolo question

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by StratPlus97, Jun 13, 2018.

1. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Senior Stratmaster

Apr 7, 2016
    USA
    Just curious what using more springs on the trem does other than having to use more because of string gauge. Will using more springs give you a tighter feel?

2. Twelve8

Twelve8 Strat-O-Master

Dec 5, 2015
    Sheffield, UK
    You can use more springs to "deck the trem". This puts the the bridge flat to the body so the trem bar can only decrease pitch, not increase it. For some this makes tuning more stable
    & it's especially useful if you break a string on stage!

Strat Jacket likes this.

3. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 21, 2014
    Santa Maria, CA
    Its the overall tension of the springs that is going to have the most impact on the feel of using the bar more so than the number of springs or whether they are installed straight/angled.

For example: If you have a set of strings on exerting 85 lbs of tension, your springs need to equal that tension to keep the trem floating, whether that be 3 springs with the claw screwed in most of the way or 5 springs with the claw only screwed in partially.

4. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Senior Stratmaster

May 26, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    +1 on what Sam said... it's simple Physics + Math. And it ain't gonna change 'cause someone doesn't believe it...

rk

Strats4me likes this.

5. Chasy

Chasy Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 7, 2018
    Danbury CT
    A shorter arm will give you a tighter feel if that's what you are looking for. For a more precise feel you need a new bridge or rework on the fender plate.

6. Chasy

Jun 7, 2018
    Danbury CT
    Been a while since I have used big strings. I don't remember does the trem feel heavier with big strings? If it did, It must have been slight. You still end up with a counterbalance.

7. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster

Feb 13, 2014
    Florida
    Huh ? Can you be more specific on the rework required to get a more precise feel from your tremolo ?

8. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Strat-Talker

Apr 9, 2015
    UK
    If it's the arm itself you feel is loose ensure you have the tiny spring inserted in the trem arm hole in the block before screwing in the arm. That makes a big difference to the 'feel' of the arm.

PCollen likes this.

9. Chasy

Jun 7, 2018
    Danbury CT
    I was just referring to general setup. Take it apart, clean it. Set it up the way you want it. Make sure it is riding the screws just so. Using harder screws, knife edging, roller saddles. whatever it takes to make it feel right for you. The main issue is too much friction and this dead spot feel that's what gives it an imprecise feel where you have to apply a fair amount of pressure to initiate the motion and then once it starts to move it requires less pressure.

Works well enough as it is.

PCollen likes this.

10. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster

Feb 13, 2014
    Florida
    So many overlook, or slough this off and just screw the arm down until it stops, and it rarely stops in the right place so they stress and possibly strip threads or the arm has some slight play in it making it less stable and precise (floppy). Using the spring solves this problem, allowing the arm to be snug and stable and yet not completely cranked to the max tightness. They do take some management though, either leaving the bar in all the time (my solution) , or tapping over the hole and maybe even removing the spring altogether when the bar is out.