Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Squier Affinity Model?

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by Shepard_man, May 31, 2010.

1. Shepard_man

Shepard_man Strat-O-Master

I've been trying to determine what model of Affinity Strat that I have. On the neck plate it says Made in China and the serial # is: NC710924.

According to the PDF guide on Squierguitars.com "Affinity Strats come from 3 different sources:
    Affinity Series-Reliant. Serial numbers begin with “CY”
    “Start Playing” Special-Cort. Serial numbers begin with “IC”
    Start Playing SE Series- AXL. Serial numbers begin with “CAX”
    Cort models “IC” serial numbers
    Maple- m/n 0310602xxx
    Rosewood- m/n 0310600xxx"

My serial doesn't really match any of those, lol...so I'm wondering if maybe it's a partscaster?

2. Paulbiz

Paulbiz Senior Stratmaster

From Wiki, Appears to be a Squier bullet:

NUMBER DESCRIPTION
    AMXN + 6 digits California Series electric guitars and basses; 1997 and 1998
    DN + 6 digits American Deluxe series instruments; 1998 and 1999
    NC(XXXXXX) Squier® Strat Bullets (dating unclear)
    FN(XXXXXX) U.S.-made guitars and basses destined for export market. Some may have stayed in the U.S. or found their way back (made to Standard Stratocaster specs; dating unclear)
    I(XXXXXXX) A limited number of these "I" series guitars were made in 1989 and 1990. They w

3. Shepard_man

Wow, so someone put an Affinity neck on a Bullet body. I'm a little disappointed, I was hoping for that Alder body. Oh well, at least I have a better idea of what I am in possession of.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. painter33

painter33 Strat-Talker

Those Affinities were made from '96 to '98. Full thickness (1.75") bodies, 1.68" at nut, three-piece alder, the "by Fender" is in small block letters under the Squier decal, right? Does the neck plate have a black plastic trim piece? 8-hole single-ply pickguard? Yours is probably a '97. I have two - '96 and '97, both were black (one is now surf green). I suspect that these were Fender bodies due to the nail holes under the sealer (under the sunburst that's under the paint) assembled in China. But can't know for certain due to the lack of info about this model. Fender is very reticent to give anything out about these. Why is that???!! Maybe they are Fenders disguised as Squiers?

Coemgen likes this.
  6. Mike S.

Mike S. Strat-Talker

I have one of these, and can confirm how difficult it is to cull information about this model. The body on mine is indeed alder, and full Fender American proportioned. It has a great neck that is every bit as comfortable and well made as my Fender American, sans the skunk stripe.

These make super modding platforms.

Coemgen likes this.
  7. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

Congrats on your guitar!

8. Shepard_man

I posted that back in May, lol. I don't have possession of it any more but it did play really nicely.

9. painter33

painter33 Strat-Talker

Strat in Masquerade

Sorry for picking this up again, but I know of a couple of others who also pride themselves in ownership of these. I since have suspicions that the bodies and necks were sent from Japan to China, and the early 90's Japanese Strats are thought to be better than MIA of the time. Nothing about this guitar says import except for the pups and pots, easily changed. American Strat pickguards are drop-in, and the weight is about the same, but a little less because of the swimming pool rout. I have two and if I had a chance to get another I's seriously think about it. I'm now finishing an overhaul now - new paint (the old black was covered w/stickers and had many chips and dents - not nice ones), pups and pots, and even though the neck was okay, the trussrod was stripped so I bought a new maple neck. It cost me $24 from eBay.

10. anuptuladhar

anuptuladhar Strat-Talk Member

i have one limited edition 20th anniversary series.it is also tagged as 'by fender'(doesn't have an official logo)..it says 'crafted in Indonesia'..my serial starts with IC ..any info about this??!!

11. Krab

Krab ----------------------

It was made in the Indonesia Cort factory in 02

12. anuptuladhar

One more question.What is the difference in having a fender official logo and something like "by FENDER'..in the headstock??!i have "by fender" in my guitar!

13. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

The "...by Fender" wording indicates you have a "Squier Strat by Fender". Its less costly than a "Fender Stratocaster" but similar in design and most dimensions.

Welcome to the forum!

14. anuptuladhar

ok but i have seen squier with a fender logo as well!!even the affinity ones..mine doesnot have a logo..but vit says :by fender"

15. anuptuladhar

16. anuptuladhar

17. anuptuladhar

Well,I forgot to mention..i hope you guys can help me with this..i met a guy from my near by suburb with this guitar.with all the excitement i call my good friend who was in search of a used stratocaster..so we both went by his place and tried this guITAR.. which was labeled fender stratocaster made in usa..and we bought it right away in 16500 nepalese rupees ie $200 approx..later on we found out it was labeled as FENDER STRAOCASTER!!! stratocaster without a 'T' ..we were confused..and we ended up no where..still unidentified.ANYONE ANY IDEA ABOUT THIS??
    http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/045ad7d178.jpg
    http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/013da1fd71.jpg

18. anuptuladhar

Well,I forgot to mention..i hope you guys can help me with this..i met a guy from my near by suburb with this guitar.with all the excitement i call my good friend who was in search of a used stratocaster..so we both went by his place and tried this guITAR.. which was labeled fender stratocaster made in usa..and we bought it right away in 16500 nepalese rupees ie $200 approx..later on we found out it was labeled as FENDER STRAOCASTER!!! stratocaster without a 'T' ..we were confused..and we ended up no where..still unidentified.ANYONE ANY IDEA ABOUT THIS??

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/045ad7d178.jpg

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/013da1fd71.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2011
  19. anuptuladhar

20. Krab

Krab ----------------------

looks like a really bad fake like a Rollx

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  21. anuptuladhar

i did some research later on..i found few amercian strat with serials ZO