Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Squier Affinity vs Standard Squier

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by fanon, Dec 11, 2011.

1. fanon

fanon New Member!

Which is the better of the two? I'm leaning towards Standard, but is Agathis a tone wood? What I've read has been mixed.

2. ekul785

ekul785 Senior Stratmaster

I think the Standard is better in general as it's not got the thinner body/neck that the Affinity does. I may be wrong, Standards are easier to upgrade because of their size/dimensions.

3. pchilson

pchilson Strat-O-Master

Sepc wise I would go with the Standard. The Affinitys are "slimmed" down.
    Neither will match up to the Classic Vibe models.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Dreamer56

Dreamer56 Strat-Talk Member

My Agathis NC96 Bullet is Full Thickness 22 Fret Dark Rosewood or Ebony Fretboard and
    has Awsome Tone. See Avatar. I'm just Say'n I think the pickups are ceramic

6. MrPoppa2

MrPoppa2 Senior Stratmaster

I own both an Affinity and a Standard, I upgraded the Affinity with a new loaded pick guard [ sounds awsome now ], my Standard has the dime size pots and they are 500k, and one small capaciter, most of them are like that and the result is they are treble sounding, but the good news is that the standard has AlNico magnets, so new 250k pots and a pair of .047 caps will make it a much better sounding guitar, and as noted, the standard is full sized, but somewhat heavier than most Strats.
    ..........poppa

7. Laylas Daddy

Laylas Daddy Banned

I like the Standards better.

8. stratsrgood

stratsrgood Strat-Talker

I have had good results with both these guitars, MrPoppa nails it - change the electrics to Fender "standard" ie 250K pots, good switch and 047 cap and you have got a nice sounding guitar.
    I would have loved to have had a guitar with this sort of quality in the early 70's !

9. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

They all are good. Standards are a step up build wise from bullets and affinities.
    The affinities and bullets can sound good stock, but I absolutely hate the sound of the standards alnicos. They are a turd in sheeps clothing. At least with the ceramics you know what you're getting.

But with pickup upgrades, you absolutely have a fender quality guitar on the squier standards in my opinion. Hardware is fine, necks are great, bodies are great with beautiful finished ala the cherry burst model. Better looking than many mims.

10. Trout

Trout Strat-O-Master

I wouldn't make the choice between the two based on wood type.

The Affinity has a very narrow 1 9/16" nut. If you don't like a narrow neck, then tonewood doesn't matter at all.

11. etechstan

etechstan Strat-Talker

I put Texas Specials and a MIM bridge in my Affinity and its now an awesome guitar. Neck replacement is next

12. softwarejanitor

softwarejanitor Most Honored Senior Member

I've got a Standard and an Affinity at the moment (trying to sell the Affinity)... Standards are in my opinion hands down better than Affinities.

13. Rockape

Rockape Senior Stratmaster

Agreed!..... :)

Here's me noodling away on my Standard:

Squier Standard Strat (2003) and G-dec Jr. - YouTube

14. MrPoppa2

Very well done my friend, and nice playing!

Once again...............good job! Is the Standard still stock? or if not, what have you done so far? The G-Decks are nice amps, I have a Mustang I amp, and since these are modeling amps, I can find a setting that masks the treble tendancy of my Standard, but if I use my 1965 Gibson Scout Valve amp, then the shrillness returns, and the Gibby is a great amp. Since I modded my Affinity, I have to say, it sounds better than my Standard, GFS uses oversized ceramic pickups that are very tasty! .........poppa

15. Rockape

Thanks MrPoppa,

Yes, it's still stock, and it gets played a lot.
    I just don't see any reason to mod it. I love the pickups, and it plays like butter (stays in tune well too!).

I no longer have the G-Dec Jr. My son moved into a new apartment and needed an amp that he could plug a pair of headphones into, so the G-Dec was ideal for him really.

I still have my Fender Twin and Marshall DSL so I'm happy... :)

16. Rockape

17. Rockape

Incidentily, I used to own an affinity Strat (black), and it had an amazing neck, low action, no fret buzz....beautiful! Unfortunately I didn't get on with the thinner body. The ceramic pickups were ok, but nothing special. The ceramic pickups in my pals 90's Korean Squier Strat are really good....to my ears anyway; punchy and slightly aggressive I'd say.

18. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm in the minority who loves the Thinner affinity necks.

I play in open tuning which means a lot of barring, and the thin neck with low action is optimus prime.

I like the thin body, too. the thin body is nice and light, and nobody can tell that it's thin from on stage. I prefer it light.

You'd better believe if Fender made a closely spaced, light bodied design, I'd be all over it.

In the Gibson world, thicker and heavier is better, not necessarily so for strats, IMO.

19. MrPoppa2

I put my stock Affinity parts and p/u's into a 1981 Fender Bullet, the one with a tele neck, they sound great in that! Then I put a GFS loaded pickguard in my Affinity. WOW, big difference, there is a lot of differences in creamic pups, and they use what they call [ full sized ceramics ], they are twice as big as stock Squier magnets, and the sound that results, is hard to believe, plus the loaded pickguards have full sized 250k pots and decent 0.047 caps, hard to believe, for the money spent on that pickguard. I'm about ready to upgrade the Standard, mine is an 05 CAR w/maple fretbrd, love it , but I know it could sound better with proper parts.
    ........poppa

20. eddking2003

eddking2003 Strat-Talk Member

I can't really say which one is the best as I only have an Affinity, however i absolutely love it. It is easy to play, sounds great and I can get some really good sounds out of it. Its ideal for carrying around as it is so light. it also looks the mutts nuts aswell!
    What do you guys mean by Standard Squier? Or is this a stooopid question?

21. MikeyT

MikeyT Strat-Talk Member

The 'Standard' is the next Squier model up, pricewise. Look at the Musician's Friend website for info.
    From low to high, it roughly goes:

Bullet (Plywood)
    SE (Agathis)
    Affinity (Alder)
    Standard (Agathis)
    Deluxe (Basswood)
    Vintage Modified (Cedar)
    Classic Vibe (Alder)

I love Affinity's because I like the smaller necks. Replace the pickups & electronics with something better and you're in business.