Join Strat-Talk Today

Squier bass, needs neck shim

Discussion in 'Ace's BASS Place' started by amstratnut, Mar 24, 2019.

1. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Here are some bad picks of bridge height and string height.

What degree of shim is recommeneded? What is the best way to determine best neck angle?

Other info: Truss is completeley tight.

2. Yaralag

Yaralag Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

The best neck angle depends on your action preferences. I assume your truss rod is maxed because you were trying to get the action lower. Put a small piece of a business card between the top two screw holes and string it up. If that’s not enough then double it. I’ve shimmed a few basses and never used anything thicker than two business cards. I’m talking thick quality cards btw.

3. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

The Shim Police, they're inside of my head
    The Shim Police they....

Squittolo likes this.
  4. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Cut a half inch off the end of a business card, put it under the heel, test. If you need more add another strip of business card. Now you either leave that business card strip(s) as they are made of wood too, or measure their combined height to cut a shim or trig out the height and length to get your angle.

I'd just leave the business card strip(s) as that works and has been tested by thousands of players since the 60s. Some factories even ship guitars with this kind of shim.

5. Rallypoint_1

Rallypoint_1 New Member!

Wait, what amount of relief do you have? Loosen the truss before attempting to tighten it. If it’s maxed out and proper relief isn’t there then a washer or two could help. Set the relief first and then adjust string height.

As for the saddle height ya a piece of business card or veener will work to tilt that neck up. Don’t worry about that “ski-jump” nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.