Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Squier Bullet Strat @ MF

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by Rob DiStefano, Feb 24, 2018.

1. DougO

DougO Strat-Talk Member

Jul 30, 2016
    Texas
    I bought a Bullet Tele a couple of weeks ago when it was $149. It's really impressive for the price, feels great. The frets need breaking in, but otherwise pretty sweet. My biggest complaint is that that little e string is too close to the edge, so I'm thinking maybe a new nut may be in its future.

The other thing I may upgrade eventually is the tuning keys. I find myself tuning a lot, but maybe that's because I'm bending the crap out of the strings because it plays so easily.

2. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    That's a GREAT image.

Question: You say you only replaced the tuners (same here) but the PG and pup covers look aged/yellowed. Is that just the lighting shift for the image or a parts change?

3. johnnymg

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Wait for it.....................................

wait....................................

pics or it didn't happen!

4. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Strat-Talker

May 5, 2006
    Park Ridge, NJ, USA
    for the three current production bullet strats i've had, all had really cr@ppy 1/4" post tuners that just required 5/16" reaming for a set of gotoh deluxe vintage installed.

DSC03230.JPG

Polarbear likes this.

5. 1980

1980 Strat-Talker

Dec 18, 2016
    United States
    The tuners were the only upgrade I thought was truly necessary. I also did further mods for appearance and preference. Mint green PG, cream knobs and covers, added roller string trees, sanded and put a thicker coat of laquer on the neck, replaced the saddles, upgraded the pickups, and all electronics.

johnnymg likes this.

6. Rob DiStefano

May 5, 2006
    Park Ridge, NJ, USA
    'nother sea foam green coming, the hss version so that pickguard will immediately get tossed. :whistling: :sneaky: :D

sfg.png

Bob the builder likes this.

7. Rob DiStefano

May 5, 2006
    Park Ridge, NJ, USA
    MF sale on HSS sea foam green for $110/shipped or sea foam green SSS for $120/shipped. get 'em while ya can.

8. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    I found that too. They're decent guitars but why do they use those crappy tuners. I put fender locking tuners on mine because the original just wouldn't hold

1980 likes this.

9. Rob DiStefano

May 5, 2006
    Park Ridge, NJ, USA
    i could care less about the tuners and far more about the drill bit diameter used on the headstock tuner holes.

the "sea foam green" HSS arrived a few dayze ago and it turned out to be a pretty surf green SSS instead. makeover done. shakedown over. next up, a vintage bone nut. keeper!

DSC03683.JPG

DSC03684.JPG

l88vette likes this.

10. Philo426

Philo426 Strat-O-Master

Mar 16, 2017
    Struthers,ohio
    Why did you sand off the Squire decal?

11. Rob DiStefano

May 5, 2006
    Park Ridge, NJ, USA
    so i can fool people into thinking it's an MIA instead of an MII, then after playing i *always* tell them the truth - and watch their expression. :) when i create and install the nut, the headstock and neck will get a light amber shader coat, too.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018

12. rich815

rich815 Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Gotta add mine here. Got from a friend who had bought off another guy who supposedly upgraded the pots. My friend upgraded the trem/bridge with a very decent Wilkinson and put in an awesome set of CM Daugherty ‘55 RI pups. I changed the tuners out for Fender locking ones and changed the pickguard to black and the knobs, switch tip and pup covers to mint. I love it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018

13. Rob DiStefano

May 5, 2006
    Park Ridge, NJ, USA
    these guits iz like greasy deel 'tater chips - soooo good that ya just can't have 2 or 3 or 4, so i just bought a 5th. ya-huh, $110/shipped.

14. MrPoppa2

MrPoppa2 Senior Stratmaster

Apr 5, 2011
    Sun City, Az.
    I have a 2008 Squier in Surf Green, I put in a loaded pick guard awhile ago . The stange thing about mine is that it is a 1 5/8 inch body, it is a COB serial number, and I have heard that there are several COB Bullets around, they feel like a 1 3/4 full size fender, I'm happy. .........Poppa IMG_0078.JPG IMG_0074.JPG

1980, l88vette, Viking and 1 other person like this.

15. Polarbear

Polarbear Don Poleone Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 18, 2011
    St Leonards, UK

16. Polarbear

Polarbear Don Poleone Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 18, 2011
    St Leonards, UK
    Its a Bullet neck, does this count? :D

[​IMG]

l88vette and 1980 like this.

17. johnnymg

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca

18. AxeChimpanzee

AxeChimpanzee Strat-Talk Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Uk
    No you aren't weird lol. Its interesing.
    But can you explain why. Is it to do with Tone? Does a thicker strat have a nicer tone? Or is it about how it looks or feels?

19. AxeChimpanzee

AxeChimpanzee Strat-Talk Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Uk
    [QUOTE

PSA 2: If you plan on getting a Bullet: do yourself a favor and order some replacement tuners.[/QUOTE]

YES. Great advice. The Tuners are rubbish. Get better ones (its a mod worth the money to help tuning stability). Changing the nut and trees wouldn't hurt either and i would suggest graphtech tusq. They are fairly inexpensive but again excellent for improving tuning stability.

20. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    It is only a feel thing.