Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Squier Deluxe Strat discontinued?

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by tsvkvyomi, Nov 2, 2017.

1. tsvkvyomi

tsvkvyomi New Member!

Sep 7, 2017
    India
    So the deluxe strat is no longer listed on fender/squier's official website, and it is out of stock on most of the online websites. Whats the scene here?

2. QMTstrat

QMTstrat Strat-O-Master

Maybe in your part of the world, but here it is still available in both colors:

Screen Shot 2017-11-02 at 6.33.37 AM.png

fattboyzz likes this.

3. papergoblin

papergoblin Strat-Talker

Sep 21, 2017
    Alabama
    I just looked at Fender, the Squier Deluxe is still listed as well as the Deluxe Hot Rails.

I have seen some stores say discontinued as well, but I'd imagine they are just no longer carrying the deluxe. I imagine it's due to sales, most seem to buy the affinity or CV series. The Deluxe is kind of caught in the middle ground thing.

If I were going to buy a Squire, I wouldn't want the cheapest but why spend say 299 on a deluxe which is okay, but for 399 I can get so much more. I don't like the Deluxe, I hate the big head stock.

Fendereedo likes this.

4. tsvkvyomi

tsvkvyomi New Member!

Sep 7, 2017
    India
    I like the deluxe because of the pickups, which are hotter than the toneriders, the neck is satin, and the trem is two point as well, what would you suggest? I live in India so cant really try them properly, i have tried the standard squier which in terms of feel is the same as the deluxe, more or less, and i liked the standard. Inputs would be appreciated.

5. QMTstrat

QMTstrat Strat-O-Master

I have both the Hot Rails and the Standard. The Standard has the same big headstock, 22 frets and 2 point bridge, which I have no issue with. But the neck is considerably nicer on the Hot Rails, which is the same as the Deluxe, rolled fretboard and satin finish. It is also chunkier than the Standards thin C profile neck.

I really like the Alnicos on the Standard, they are definitely keepers for me and still have not found better sounding pickups at that price point. They have a lot of character that the cheaper ceramics from Affinities lack.

6. papergoblin

papergoblin Strat-Talker

Sep 21, 2017
    Alabama
    First, I'm not saying the Deluxe is bad, it's just not for me. I like the CV style better, now if the hot rails had the smaller head stock, I'd probably already own one.

Looking at the deluxe vs standard, what I'm seeing is both about the same except deluxe gets you a smoother neck (satin finished) but steel wool or sandpaper could make the standard feel about the same. The deluxe also has Duncan designed pu's and standard is well standard. Here the price difference is $50, so on paper the deluxe sounds like a better deal, unless you will change the factory pu's. If you will eventually change them, I'd say go standard and put the extra cash to pu's of your choice. This is my opinion, so by no means am I right, just what I would look at. Daryll Braun (I think that's his name) has a YT video comparing the two.

I'm in the US, so prices and options from you to I vary greatly from what I've read. The best recommendation I can give is buy what you like. If you're into the deluxe, just keep an eye out, not sure of the used market around you, does it have to be new?

If you can't find a deluxe, I'd list all the specs on it and start looking at other models to see what matches up. It's what I did for the past few weeks, I just ordered a mim plus top (I did look at the hot rails Squier).

I knew I wanted hss, small head stock, and maple board. That killed the Am. Special, didn't want to go higher in the Am line this close to Christmas. I looked at the standards and when I saw a plus top was the same as regular, I went plus top.

Now this was looking through the company I wanted to buy from, not the whole internet. So their stock limited my selection but I trust them and hard to beat 2 day free shipping.

7. slash1814

slash1814 Strat-Talk Member

Oct 1, 2017
    India
    Sir ji,
    Standard Deluxe is far better than just standard. The latter is thin and edgy (unless thats your thing). deluxe retails at 31,800/- while standard retails at 23,500/- (approx.). BUT..deluxe it seems to me is being phased out, As today I can not see it on Fender website.If you want more info let us know.

8. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Are the DD SC-101's in the Deluxe hum cancelling in position 2 and 4?

9. LongLiveRock54

LongLiveRock54 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 21, 2010
    Heart of Dixie
    Big head stock?

My Deluxe does not have a big head stock, nor do the ones on the Fender web:

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/squie...atocaster/deluxe-stratocaster/0300500504.html

Squier Deluxe.png

metale likes this.

10. Eddie H

Eddie H Strat-Talk Member

Nov 11, 2017
    New York, NY
    The Deluxe is not a big seller. Squier is focusing it's energies on the big guns ... Affy's and Bullets. The Deluxe is priced at the same range as the VM, which has a stronger draw.

11. papergoblin

papergoblin Strat-Talker

Sep 21, 2017
    Alabama
    I was speaking to the Hot Rails model and should have been clearer. That was what threw me off that model, as at the time (don't know now) I was looking at a deluxe and HR deluxe were the same price. To me the HR offered more for the money (my opinion). I was wanting hss but could have lived with a HR setup, unfortunately, it's the large headstock only (nothing wrong with that, again just personal preference).

LongLiveRock54 likes this.

12. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-a-holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    of course they are - Squier makes no current production single coil guitars with non RWRP middle....

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017 at 10:56 AM
    johnnymg likes this.

13. LongLiveRock54

Jan 21, 2010
    Heart of Dixie
    No problem! To my chagrin, I had no idea they made a Hot Rod version of the Deluxe. :oops: 20171116_135140.jpg 20171116_135148.jpg 20171116_135201.jpg
    I bought mine new in 2009 for only $20 less than they are going for now.
    Here's mine. I added a Graphtech Nut, String Trees (and lubed them) and 5 aftermarket trem springs. It seems to hold tune a lot better that it did.

Fendereedo likes this.

14. papergoblin

papergoblin Strat-Talker

Sep 21, 2017
    Alabama
    It's no problem, I should have said HR, cause it does come off like I'm saying they all are. Nice pics, great looking guitar.

How do you like the Tusq string trees? I'm debating on replacing the butterfly on mine, it didn't come with a spacer from the factory, yet some how got the felt around the strap buttons, lol.

I just put a Tusq nut on mine last night, the high E sounded like a sitar. It didn't come through the amp but unplugged it was killing me. That and the factory nut had a couple of strings cut too low.

LongLiveRock54 likes this.

15. LongLiveRock54

Jan 21, 2010
    Heart of Dixie
    Thanks! The string trees did seem to help, plus I also lubed them a bit with a vaseline/dry graphite mix. I do that to all my guitars if I feel a little binding.

papergoblin likes this.

16. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2010
    The Midwest
    The Squier Deluxe is a great Strat. I regret selling the Daphne blue one I once had.

17. metale

metale Strat-Talk Member

Jun 4, 2011
    Portugal
    I opened mine yesterday to remove the plastic from the pickup covers (still had it and not easy from the top).

Was pretty amazed by the shielding on the cavities. Very neat, and it's grounded. I haven't seen this dedication on a strat before (havent't opened any MIA though).

Only mod on mine is a brass full size trem block with 5 springs.