Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Squier fret ends, and other ramblings.....

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by MrPoppa2, May 4, 2011.

1. MrPoppa2

MrPoppa2 Senior Stratmaster

Seems like we know before we pick-up a Squier...that it will have some super sharp fret ends! Not all Squiers have this problem, but enough do .to make us angry, I cut my fingers on a pawn shop Affinity Tele [ all of us guard our fingers every day like crazy ] and the price was right...but I left the p.shop angry!

The good news is that it's an easy fix, I poked through my old car tools, and found my old ignition points file,very thin and with great file teeth on both sides, this took care of the fret ends very fast. I also , at the same time...rolled the fret brd edges with the same file..man what a big improvment , I can see why the Fender guys love the rolled fret brd's, had to re-file the frets a little, but they are as smooth as butter now!

Ive thought about the Squier Fret problem, and have concluded that the person in the line for fret filling...only works part time [ 3 days a week ] and thats why some Squiers are great and some need lots of work. I would think that Fender would lopok into this situation, I'm sure that They want the public to buy more guitars, and not discourage the young buyer with a bad fret end job...doe's anyone agree with me on this????....poppa

2. Ausquier

Ausquier Senior Stratmaster

I've seen very few fret end problems in Melbourne. I think you are more likely to find the local conditions are an issue. In Vic and southern NSW we have very low humidity, and I reckon the issue you are most likely seeing is due to the wood shrinking and expanding.

I have seen bad fret ends on the odd Squier, but certainly not near the amount you are talking. Especially not with the current batch of Squiers. My Affinity BSB Tele has a perfectly finished set of frets, not that that helps you. :D

3. Mr Rothery

Mr Rothery Strat-Talker

I keep hearing about the issue, but I've never found a squire with sharp frets yet.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. miurasv

miurasv Strat-O-Master

I've posted this before but the sharpest fret edges of any guitar I've seen were on a recent Fender EC Artist Signature Strat. The Squiers I've seen, admittedly not many, and were Standards and CVs, and no Bullets or Affinity's have been fine.

6. Lua1

Lua1 PolyMayerMaple Strat-Talk Supporter

my bullets were sharp, fixed them easily :)

i suppose its expensive to run stricter qc, and given where it sits in the market, they likely dont have a huge incentive to....no one is really offering better value at that price point anyway.

7. sfcmark

sfcmark Strat-O-Master

My experience has been more recent, but my new Bullet and my son's Affinity Tele fret ends are smooth as glass (and we live in a humid environment).

8. Lua1

Lua1 PolyMayerMaple Strat-Talk Supporter

i live in atlanta, and mine was a cos10, and mine were really, really sharp

(this was in late november, though)

9. Digangi

Digangi Strat-Talk Member

The fret job on both of my CVs is perfect...no issues

10. russ324

russ324 Senior Stratmaster

I just recrntly purchased 2 new CV's and both had no fret or any other problems. Russ

11. LuxB

LuxB Strat-Talker

My Bullet has no problems with fret ends. It is a COB08

12. coolbreeze

coolbreeze Strat-Talk Member

it varies widely, as far as I can tell. The e-series and CVs have all been beautiful. I have a Bullet that draws blood, and most of the Standards are pretty sharp, too.

Keeping in mind- we have a HUGE variation in temperature and humidity throughout the year. So some of those sharp frets in winter won't be there come summer:)

13. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

To roll a fretboard edges, I would not sand or file, but rather slightly compress the edges of the fretboard with the edge of a screwdriver shaft. Just "lightly" run the edge of the screw driver shaft on the edge of the fretboard, between frets, and you are good. Sanding or filing would remove some or all of the finish along the edge (oil for rosewood boards).

14. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Senior Stratmaster

Living in AZ, you are going to have fret sprouts on every guitar, unless you keep it in a humidified room. I've had MIA strats that needed a trim too. I always have a few guitars on stands in my office so I keep rotating my guitars to and from a humidified room every couple of weeks or so just for this reason.

With humidity levels in the 4 and 5% range there is bound to be some wood shrinkage if left out to sit. It really is a dry heat people!!!

Funny that this came up, I just noticed my MIM Tele frets yesterday were a bit sharp at the ends. Well, it has been sitting out for about 3 months, so back to it's room with no dinner or tv.

15. route66strat

route66strat Strat-Talk Member

Squier gets a bum wrap on this subject and it seems to be sharp frets are the minority. Unlike Epiphones current things out of china, I can pick up any Squier and not fear for losing a finger.

16. softwarejanitor

softwarejanitor Most Honored Senior Member

I've run into a few in pawn shops or on the cheaper models at GC. The better guitar stores like Musicmakers seem to either send the bad ones back or fix them and set them up before they get put out for display.

17. softwarejanitor

Interesting, the three Epis I have all have good fret work. Guess I lucked out.

18. DynoDave

DynoDave Strat-Talk Member

I have only handled a few dozen Squiers in my life (new player), but those I have handled have not exhibited the sort of sharpness you are describing (cutting your fingers).

Now I will admit, my new Indonesian Squier Strat has a few ends that are less "not sharp" than others...:D...but nothing extreme. Might like to touch them up though. A points file eh...I think I still have 1 or 2 of those...I wonder how many folks can say that? :oops:

Just for my own education...are we talking about sharpness on the beveled top edge, or the metal fret being a little too wide for the wood neck (hence the sensitivity to humidity)? Or both?

[​IMG]

19. Xpensive Wino

Xpensive Wino Senior Stratmaster

I've noticed sharpness on the fret ends in many recent Squiers - meaning that yes, you could cut yourself on the frets.

I've owned several Squiers, going back to when they were first introduced in the early 80's.

The Japanese & Korean Strats were fine, the more recent crop from Indonesia and China are much much more variable in terms of fret quality.

I got a Classic 50's Vibe that was atrocious fret-wise, and I had to replace the neck with an e-Bay MIJ purchase replacement. Cheaper than a refret...

The Mini I picked up on the road wouldn't play well at all, so I put a full-sized neck on it. Problem solved. But now it won't fit the gig bag, so it's not a mini travel guitar anymore!

20. Ausquier

Ausquier Senior Stratmaster

I have a theory, we could narrow down the fret work to the country of origin. I.E. I've only ever played one Indonesian Squier and it was OK. But one does not make for a yardstick. The only one I can remember for certain was Chinese. Not sure of the serial tho so it may have been CY (Taiwan).

Can those with dodgy frets list where they came from and also if they generally run into humidity issues?

21. softwarejanitor

It figures someone with a userid like "DynoDave" would have a points file or two. You probably have a few sets of feeler gauges and a dwell meter around your shop as well... I still do and I don't even have a car with points in it since I sold the last Chevelle I had... that one had an Accell dual point conversion kit on the original Delco distributor. Those were the days... The old Vette in the garage I replaced the Chevelle with is still new enough that it has an HEI distributor in it.