Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Squier neck profiles

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by bonefamily, Jul 11, 2011.

1. bonefamily

bonefamily Strat-Talker

I am wanting to know how similar the Squier Standard strat neck profiles are to the MIM Standrad and American Standard strat neck profiles. The ones I am referring to are the CV series, the Standard series, and the Standard Deluxe series. I really like the feel of the MIM and American Standard necks and would like to order a Squier if they are practically the same. If not, I will go with another used MIM Fender. There are no local dealers by me (about an hour and a half away) so was wanting to mail order one... Thanks.

2. softwarejanitor

softwarejanitor Most Honored Senior Member

If I'm not mistaken all the guitars you are talking about have a "modern C" neck shape.

3. ghostwolf

ghostwolf Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    some of the squier stds have a narrow nut width, not the 1 5/8".
    similar to the affinity necks.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. bonefamily

bonefamily Strat-Talker

Thanks guys. Let's narrow it down to just the CV series and Standard Deluxe series.

6. softwarejanitor

I'll take your word for it, but I haven't personally seen a Standard with a nut noticeably narrower than 1-5/8" (41mm).

7. stratphobic

stratphobic -----------------------

the squier standard neck is definitely narrower. the more i play mine, the more i notice it, but the profile feels thicker than my american standard.

8. softwarejanitor

I'll have to take my calipers to my 2000 IC Squier Standard neck and see what it measures at the nut. I've done that before and I don't remember it being significantly different than any of my other Squiers or my 1970s Fender.

9. ghostwolf

ghostwolf Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    apparently some older standards had the narrower nut, the one i had was a 2001, i believe.

10. Ausquier

Ausquier Senior Stratmaster

11. stratphobic

stratphobic -----------------------

so is mine

12. bonefamily

bonefamily Strat-Talker

Thanks for the replies everyone. By profile, I am referring to the shape of the back of the neck, not so much the nut width. I agree that nut width does have a factor on the overall feel of the neck, but I'm ok with the 1mm difference between the two. I am wanting to get the same depth feel in my hand. Do you all feel that the neck depth is similar in the CV Squiers and Standard Deluxe Squiers compared to the MIM Fenders? You'll notice that the two Squiers I am referring to have the smaller, non-70's style headstocks - which is what I am wanting. Thanks again!

13. blingdogg

blingdogg Strat-Talker

I have a Squier Standard Strat and the neck is definitely fatter and slightly rounder than the MIM Std I had, and most MIMs I've tried. This is why I like it better than MIM Strats (which have a thinner and flatter neck compared to my Squier Std).

I may be wrong but I think Squier Standards have a "C" shape, which is a bit fatter than the "Modern C" shape profile of the MIM Standard necks.

14. bonefamily

bonefamily Strat-Talker

Thanks for the info, blingdogg.

15. Gaolee

Gaolee Strat-Talker

My '80s vintage Bullet has what I consider a fairly small neck, but the profile is round enough to make it reasonable.

16. sfcmark

sfcmark Strat-O-Master

The B. Hefner website shows all of the Fender neck profiles with thickness at the 1st and 12th frets.

STRAT GUITAR NECKS, GUITAR PARTS

I can't get precise measurements without removing the strings, but my (COS10) Bullet neck approximates the Fender "modern C" shape, perhaps a hair thinner at the 12th fret.

17. bonefamily

bonefamily Strat-Talker

^^ Thanks for the link to the B. Hefner site. I've been considering doing a custom build and originally was thinking about the Mighty Mite body and neck, but the B. Hefner stuff looks to be a bit nicer.

18. 1998ccc

1998ccc Strat-Talk Member

Here's some spec's from Squier. Modern C to me feels a little slimmer vs. C but I've never seen any measurements on the two shapes . All are 9.5 radius if that's a factor in your decision.

Classic Vibe Stratocaster®
    1-Piece Maple, Modern “C” Shape,
    1.650” (42 mm)

Standard Stratocaster® (Rosewood)
    Maple, C-Shape,
    1.650” (42 mm)

Vintage Modified Strat®
    Maple, C-Shape,
    1.650” (42 mm)

19. sfcmark

sfcmark Strat-O-Master

The '62 C Shape is .800" thick at the 1st fret and .960" at the 12th fret.

The Modern C Shape is indeed a bit slimmer. It's supposed to be .800" thick at the 1st fret and .870" at the 12th fret.

20. bonefamily

bonefamily Strat-Talker

Thanks for the info everyone. I don't think I'd like the slimmer C as much as the regular C shape. I need to make it out and try some of these...

21. candyapple67

candyapple67 Strat-Talker

you should check out the new squier bullets I played one earlier this year and the neck shape and nut width were vary husky and big in my opinion I actually liked it better than my mexi or american strat necks.