Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Squier Serial Number

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by ParishWorkhouse, Oct 11, 2010.

1. ParishWorkhouse

ParishWorkhouse New Member!

Hi all,

Can someone help me with some information on Squier serial numbers?

I have recently bought a Squier Strat and the serial number begins CY81. I know the CY stands for China Yako factory, but surely the year of manufacture wasn't 81? Were Squiers even being made then?

Any help that you can provide would be gratefully received.

2. Wayne D.

Wayne D. Senior Stratmaster

Hi Parish and welcome to the Forum. Correct Squier's weren't made until 1982 and in Taiwan I don't think until the '90's. So your serial number must be a mis-print. Could you post a pic? Just cover the rest of the numbers with black electrical tape.

3. Ausquier

Ausquier Senior Stratmaster

G'day mate. It might help if you could tell us what model it is, then we can narrow it down a bit. That is a pretty odd serial number.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. MadAxeDave

MadAxeDave New Member!

Yeah, mine is similar... CY80xxxxxx

Just bought a cheap beat-up Squier Strat Bullet off ebay for a project. Out of curiosity tried to see if I could find out it's age. Serial number starts CY80 then six numbers following it. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

6. MadAxeDave

MadAxeDave New Member!

CY80xxxxxx = 2008

I asked the ebay seller when he got it and he said he got it christmas 2008 (for 2 year old this thing has been neglected so much). I've took the neck off, neck pocket is stamped with an 08 date. Back of the neck also has a stamp thats pretty blurred but looks like it starts with 08.

PWH - Whip the neck off, probably your best solution.

7. Wayne D.

That sounds right to me MadAxe. (2008)

8. MadAxeDave

MadAxeDave New Member!

Surely CY08 would be more logical for 2008. Just wondering what year CY81 could be... Maybe a slightly different batch or model from 2008?

9. Wayne D.

No you're correct. Yours was a CY80xxxx and Parish's was a CY81xxxx. Just a thousand units after yours was made in 2008. A CY08xxxx would be a 2000 model.

10. MadAxeDave

MadAxeDave New Member!

I see. Thanks for that Wayne.

11. Little Esther

Little Esther New Member!

What about my Squier, which year is it manufacured?

Hello,

Can anybody tell from which year my China Squier Standard Stratocaster was build? And if there is a site to visit with further info?
    Its serial number begins with CY010.

Thank You

12. MrDR74

MrDR74 Strat-Talk Member

13. MrDR74

MrDR74 Strat-Talk Member

Mine says CSX 06 so I take that to mean 2006. I have done some research on my serial prefix CSX in these forums and discovered it refers to the Axl plant in China. If I am wrong anyone please correct me. Thanks!

14. sfcmark

sfcmark Strat-O-Master

From what I've read, I don't think they started using two digits for the year until 2000. Before that, the first digit of the SN was the last digit of the year, so the CY81 is really a CY8 and the rest of the SN happens to begin with 1, if that makes sense.

I guess it was Squier's version of the Y2K bug, where they didn't really think their serial numbering scheme through all the way. The Korean Squiers changed prefixes from 80s to 90s to differentiate.

15. Left_Hand_Strat

Left_Hand_Strat Strat-Talk Member

that Could well be 1998.

that isn't 08. Mine is a 2007 affinity and that is CY07. I have seen a chinese Squier serial number CY0000xxxx or something of that caliber.... (i can't remember full number)

also the photo does show a 'designed in america, crafted in china' above the number. again All I have on my 07 is 'Crafted in China'

I think it is 1998.

16. MrDR74

MrDR74 Strat-Talk Member

Mine also says "Crafted In China"

17. Ausquier

Ausquier Senior Stratmaster

I don't think they used the designed in the USA and crafted in China till around 06/07 if I'm not mistaken. I'm backing 2008, more pics would help. Modern Bullets have only been around a short while too.

18. Wayne D.

I think you mean CXS. My head is spinning from all these prefixs and numbers! lol I don't think my CY8 is a 1998 model, just too new looking to be 13 years old!

19. northernstrat

northernstrat Strat-Talk Member

I have a CY6 and before I ripped it a part for rebuild, it looked virtually unplayed. Very likely it just sat and was never played?

My neck had a date stamp of Sept 96 where it meets the body.

20. MrDR74

MrDR74 Strat-Talk Member

My bad thank you!

21. Citizen

Citizen New Member!

Hi I just joined two minutes ago. I know nothing about guitars, but was given a Squier Strat and would like to know more about it. I can't seem to find how old it is or where it was made. The serial number starts with CAE. I was wondering if anyone could help me out on this. Thanks.