Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Srv Strat cost in the US

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by rchris, Nov 2, 2017.

1. rchris

rchris Strat-Talk Member

Sep 5, 2016
    newcastle
    Hi guys, I am in the Uk and my brother in law is about to head home from San Francisco. Given the crap £ exchange rate and notwithstanding customs. I am considering asking him to pick me an Srv strat at the local SF guitar centre. Thing is I just can’t get US prices from their website. The cheeky buggers must know where I am..

So to those in residence in North American how much are these going for at the mo...

Cheers

Chris

john lavelle likes this.

2. rchris

rchris Strat-Talk Member

Sep 5, 2016
    newcastle
    Cheers bud! The link doesn’t work tho .....

3. rchris

rchris Strat-Talk Member

Sep 5, 2016
    newcastle
    £500 saving!

4. john lavelle

john lavelle Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 25, 2012
    North Carolina

5. john lavelle

john lavelle Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 25, 2012
    North Carolina
    Had to cut and paste....Don't understand why the link didn't work...Hope it all works out!

rchris likes this.

6. Deebs3

Deebs3 Strat-Talker

Jul 10, 2014
    Australia
    Yeah It's really stupid, I can't access fender.com, instead it always diverts to the Australian site, so same prob for me if I want to check out US fender.. But I can access the French site!!

diogoguitar, john lavelle and rchris like this.

7. creeseyspoon1

creeseyspoon1 Strat-Talk Member

Sep 3, 2016
    GB
    Bear in mind customs / import duty or whatever it's called.

rchris likes this.

8. creeseyspoon1

Sep 3, 2016
    GB
    Forget that, just read your post properly. Sorry.

9. rchris

rchris Strat-Talk Member

Sep 5, 2016
    newcastle
    The link John sent came up at a miniature toy for £30 something... yeah customs ... yep get that but remove case candy and other stuff that implies it’s new but still a punt!!

10. rchris

rchris Strat-Talk Member

Sep 5, 2016
    newcastle
    Has anyone tried this before... nice Holliday at Disney but even better taking home a nice and relatively cheaper US guitar!! Can’t be the 1st

john lavelle likes this.

11. problem-child

problem-child Strat-O-Master

Aug 28, 2008
    Left Coast, USA

12. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    500? That is very significant.
    Try using a VPN, and set the exit node to US. Every time I visit their site, they present prices in Aussie dollars or Euro, despite my current location.

13. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Strat-O-Master

Aug 30, 2010
    scottsville ny usa
    if you order this from a US retailer then removing case candy won't help nor is it likely they will. you will still have paper work from the seller stating it's a new item. they aren't going to lie as that does nothing for them and if there is an issue could hurt them.

14. dueducs

dueducs Strat-O-Master

@rchris
    Use a VPN to fool the sever into thinking you are in the U.S.
    I live in Turkey (and Qatar before that) and use a VPN every moment that I am on the interwebs to pay bills in the U.S., watch baseball games, etc etc.
    Absolute necessity for international internet use and much more secure against hacks and tracking.

15. himijendrix

himijendrix Senior Stratmaster

May 2, 2012
    Barrow Upon Soar, UK
    Bringing a new guitar into the UK will mean payment of 20% VAT plus import duty of around 5%. The customs people aren't stupid either.

I do know a couple of people who have breezed through the green channel and got away with it, depends how lucky you feel.

Neil.C likes this.

16. Neil.C

Neil.C Senior Stratmaster

Mar 3, 2012
    Surrey, England

No you're not the first to think of it, many have done it before with various degrees of success.

Don't forget when you land HMCE will want 20% VAT off of you, and as mentioned previously they are not silly and have seen all the scams before.

If you decide to go through the green channel without declaration you could end up being grilled for hours and having the guitar confiscated which hardly makes it worthwhile.

Also worth remembering that guitars etc for sale in the US don't have sales tax already added as we do in the UK which often makes them look cheaper.

Then of course you have to get the guitar home.

Guitars are usually not allowed in the overhead as they are too long and if there is no other room available your precious instrument will end up in the hold!

By the time you factor in VAT, US Sales tax and the complete bother of it all the savings are often negligible.

I fly in and out of the US a few times a year and have mulled it over many times but always thought it not worth the hassle TBH.

BTW your tax free allowance is £390 so a guitar up to that value can be bought in tax-free.

17. Rob Moreno

Rob Moreno Strat-Talker

May 28, 2017
    Tokyo
    I guess it depends which airlines you fly. Delta and United both allow a guitar (or any musical instrument, except for a piano ) as a carry-on item. I was able to take two guitars back to the US using a double gig bag, and it fit just fine in the overhead compartment of the jumbo jet.

18. creeseyspoon1

Sep 3, 2016
    GB
    As I mentioned in my recent post, Musicroom in Salisbury have one for £1,450, and I got him down to £1,375.

Authorised dealer with warranty case etc. I just got cold feet.

1509729034357.jpg 1509729047013.jpg

Yves and Neil.C like this.