Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Star Class World Championships

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by knh555, Oct 2, 2018.

1. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    As some of you may know, I race sailboats. I'm now down in MD prepping for the Star Class World Championships next week. We begin boat and crew measurement Friday through Sunday with a practice race Sunday in Oxford, MD. The Worlds begins with Race 1 next Monday with six straight days of racing. The races will be long with a large fleet and crowded starting lines.

I've raced in the Snipe Class at the Nationals and North American level and the Star Class the past few years as high as the North American Championship, but this will be my first Worlds in any class, and the Star Class is about as tough as it gets with many of the best sailors in the world. There will be multiple America's Cup Sailors, six World Champions at last count, and more than a few Olympians, plus a winner of the Volvo Around the World race. These guys give no quarter on the race course. The Star was an Olympic class from 1932 to 2012 and has a long and storied history.

Anyhoo, I'm psyched no matter how I finish and really wanted to share. This is also why I'm a bit distracted and not participating as much on the jams and challenges.

The boat's in good shape and would be ready to race tomorrow if necessary, but there's always work to do to make it a bit better, including getting the rig tune just right and easy to change on the water as conditions change. These boats are very sensitive to small tuning changes, especially when competing at this level. I'm sailing the oldest boat at the event - hull #7101 - but managed to find myself an older boat (1985) that's been well maintained and still stiff and fast. She's one of the special ones and sails upwind particularly well. She goes by the name of 黑貓, or Black Cat.

I hear we will be carrying trackers on the boats with real-time tracking online. Once I know the URL, I'll post it here for anyone who might be curious.

I'll be sailing with my son, which I'm psyched about. Here we are on Long Island Sound a bit over a week ago at our last regatta together before Worlds.

Wish me luck!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018

2. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Dental Floss farmer Strat-Talk Supporter

Very cool good luck!

abnormaltoy and knh555 like this.

3. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Tennessee
    Awesome ! ! ! … and win :)

4. knh555

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Oooh. That'd be cool. Our class insignia is a star up on the sail. The default is red. World Champions carry a Gold Star on their sail for life.

5. Omar

Omar Most Inquisitive Junior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain
    Good luck Kevin!!

6. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Weeee doggie Strat-Talk Supporter

7. chrimturn

chrimturn Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 14, 2013
    Cincinnati
    That is pretty cool. Good luck out there! Hold the line! Rubbin’s racin’! (Not sure with sailboats though, lol).

I’m sure you’re a more than capable, well seasoned sailor Kevin. Take it to ‘em. And when it’s time to blow the hatch....”Blow the hatch!”

IMG_2834.JPG

knh555 likes this.

8. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Good luck Kevin.

knh555 likes this.

9. knh555

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Rubbin' often puts you in the Protest Room with risk of DSQ. But that doesn't mean we don't race very close at times!

chrimturn likes this.

10. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 21, 2014
    Santa Maria, CA
    Very cool...good luck!

knh555 likes this.

11. vlxerdon

vlxerdon Strat-O-Master

Jan 31, 2013
    Coastal Georgia
    Best of luck to you and your son. This will make for great memories no matter where you come in.

knh555 likes this.

12. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Senior Stratmaster

Oct 21, 2013
    Calgary
    Good luck to you guys

knh555 likes this.

13. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Strat-Talker

Oct 10, 2014
    Asheville, NC
    This is awesome! Good luck in a brutally tough class, as you mentioned. I was a sailmaker for eight years and managed a loft in Hampton, VA. As a perk, I got to race sailboats for a living, as well as a hobby. Been sailing since age 6, and have been fortunate enough to race J/24 and J/22 on the class level, down in Key West, and dozens of years racing around the Chesapeake Bay. The Star class is whole 'nother level. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Add your name to the cup along the likes of Melges, North, Conner, Elvstrom, Cayard and Blackaller!

- Bob

tery and knh555 like this.

14. knh555

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Thanks! Cayard will actually be there. Last year I won a small regatta in CT. At the end, I saw the trophy included a few familiar names such as Ogilvy, Etchells, Lippincott, and MacCausland.

tarheelbob likes this.

15. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Senior Stratmaster

Feb 20, 2018
    Wiltshire UK
    Used to race Hobie Cats in my time and I know how it feels so good luck old boy, wish I could still do it!
    [​IMG]

knh555 likes this.

16. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2015
    Maryland
    Good luck!

knh555 likes this.

17. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 17, 2017
    Lost
    That's awesome, good luck.

knh555 likes this.

18. roger@pennyflic

roger@pennyflic Senior Stratmaster

Jul 4, 2013
    melbourne
    Just noticed your thread now Kev.
    Here's a "good luck" to give it a bump and keep it visible:thumb::thumb:

knh555 likes this.

19. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    Good Luck, Godspeed and most importantly have a safe event !

knh555 likes this.