Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Star Class World Championships

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by knh555, Oct 2, 2018.

1. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    With measurement of the boat, sails, and crew complete, we have today to finalize the boat before the opening ceremonies and first race of Worlds tomorrow.

For the curious, more information can be found here:
    https://2018worlds.starchampionships.org/

and live tracking from a web browser or smart phone can be accessed here:
    https://www.tractrac.com/web/event-page/event_20181005_StarWorlds/1439/

Racing is scheduled for 12:00 noon EDT starting Monday and going through Saturday.

News page:
    https://starclass.org/news/article/...w-at-the-tred-avon-yacht-club-in-maryland-usa

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    albala and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  2. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 19, 2011
    somewhere
    good luck tomorrow.

knh555 likes this.
  3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
  4. radd

radd Strat-O-Master

Jun 2, 2016
    Santa cruz
    Fantastic! I never raced, other than the weekly Wednesday night races with my sloop, but I loved it.

Good luck

knh555 likes this.
  5. jimyjazz

jimyjazz Senior Stratmaster

May 15, 2015
    New Zealand
    Good Luck guys , bring home one of those gold stars :thumb:

knh555 and abnormaltoy like this.
  6. nungesser

nungesser Whyyyyyyyyyyy can't I touch it Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2014
    Ireland
    Cool you got me excited! wishing you a big wind!

knh555 and abnormaltoy like this.
  7. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy BushBaby Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2013
    Tucson

How cool, good luck.

knh555 likes this.
  8. knh555

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Two days in and we haven't gotten a single race off due to a lack of wind. Monday, we never left the dock. Today, we floated around for three hours before the three guns sending us back in via a 40 minute tow. Maybe tomorrow.

On a high note, my son was the US flag bearer at the opening ceremonies Sunday evening as the youngest competitor here.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  9. nungesser

nungesser Whyyyyyyyyyyy can't I touch it Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2014
    Ireland
    bummer maybe that big bastard down Florida way will send some wind your way

10. circles

circles Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

11. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 19, 2011
    somewhere
    is there a window that you will race in? Too little or too much? I was crewing a small boat years ago and we had a tornado come through. Dismasted a couple of the boats.

12. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Tennessee
    Michael will be there Friday … maybe it'll float your boat .

13. knh555

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Finally got two races in today. My son and I are 60 lbs below the crew weight limit, so we paid for it when it piped up today without the crew weight to hold the boat down. We had a great first start and played the right side upwind, but the left breeze came in near the top of the two mile first leg/beat. After four legs, we finished 38th in the first race (of 60) after doing a penalty turn for fouling a boat at the first mark. I tried for a close cross to get to the left downwind and, well, sometimes these things happen. The 2nd race was a bit more difficult for us as our lighter crew weight very much limited our options and top speed. Wind was blowing 12 to 15 gusting to 18 with some very challenging chop. We ended up 52nd in this one putting us 47th so far. More wind tomorrow. I do wish we had some lighter, shifty, trickier stuff to sail, but there's no accounting for weather.

In the fourth leg of the 2nd race, one boat hooked their rig on another's mast, snapping it. I'm not clear who had rights, but the mast came down nonetheless. I did need to avoid the distressed boat while surfing the boat downwind.

14. roger@pennyflic

roger@pennyflic Senior Stratmaster

Jul 4, 2013
    melbourne
    Glad to hear you at least on the water Kev.
    Just two words for you mate, "winged keel"

knh555 likes this.
  15. jimyjazz

jimyjazz Senior Stratmaster

May 15, 2015
    New Zealand
    I bet it was good to get moving after 2 days sitting around Kevin .
    Have fun guys :)

knh555 likes this.
  16. knh555

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Haha!

There’s a sailor here who was on Stars and Stripes in ‘87 in Fremantle.

dogletnoir and roger@pennyflic like this.
  17. knh555

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Something tells me that wouldn’t measure in, though my keel generates particularly high lift, helping me upwind.

roger@pennyflic likes this.
  18. roger@pennyflic

roger@pennyflic Senior Stratmaster

Jul 4, 2013
    melbourne
    Bumping this thread.
    Whats happening Kev, dont leave us hanging:)

Stormy Monday likes this.
  19. knh555

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    OK. I'm exhausted and just got back to Boston tonight. I left the boat in New Jersey for some keel work. The awards banquet was last night and we have new world champions from Brazil. Me? I learned a lot and finished deep. We had a bit better speed than smarts and found ourselves on the wrong side of the course more than once, misreading the shifty conditions. We had some very good company at times with a Gold Star (former world champion) and some other hot shots going the wrong way as well. Due to being behind schedule, they squeezed in two races yesterday, but it took about 7 attempted starts, with two races abandoned and five general recalls. After the first abandon (we were doing well on the left side as the breeze went WAY left!), the sun came out and breeze and chop picked up dramatically with conditions on the edge of what I was willing to sail. We joined about 10 boats and headed in, calling it a day. 10 more came in after race five, skipping race six. One Argentinian boat lost their jib halyard and abandoned. Another boat snapped its mast in the choppy seas and 25 knots of wind. Most dramatically, both crew went overboard going downwind in one boat. Starboats are quite well-balanced downwind and the boat sailed more than half a mile without turning or any obvious trouble with no one on board. A friend of mine saw them in in the water and got on the radio, calling for help. Needless to say, I am certain we made the right decision going in early.

In terms of the week, we had a ball. The club was amazing with a huge number of super-friendly volunteers that made everyone involved feel like a VIP. We got in some good sailing, I learned a lot more about tuning this crazy rig both on shore and adjusting during the race. Some of the changes are quick and dynamic, shifting gears as the wind changes, and some of the the changes are a bit more involved but can be done mid-race, such as adjusting rig tension in a myriad of ways to reshape the sails. We found some speed, upwind height, and proved speed doesn't trump going the wrong way. We had a few good starts, even rolling beneath a gold star into clear air off the line on one general recall. Starting in fleets this large is quite challenging. I proved to myself I can sail 7101 fast downwind in waves, but struggle for speed in flat water. I'm still learning the idiosyncrasies of this boat. She's great upwind and I found a few new tricks working with my sailmaker to get the boat well-tuned for the various conditions.

We also hung out with old friends and made new ones from around the world. Paul Cayard (very famous sailor and all-around nice guy) came over to chat with and learn a bit about my son and encourage youth sailing these boats, which is something the class officers have been trying to push. We even briefly made the daily video. Check out 6:16 on the Wednesday show here. And a nice shot going upwind in the fleet at 10:39 in 7101.

And us finishing Race 3 on Thursday at 6:06 in USA 7101:

All the videos are here:
    https://2018worlds.starchampionships.org/media/videos

I've sailed against some pretty good competition for many years in the Snipe class, including a couple of the past Star World Champions that were here this week. I've never experienced racing taken to such extreme preparation and execution, including some of the hot shots speed testing different masts and recutting sails right up until measurement. Everything I learned will help me at the fleet and district level straight away. I can't wait to get back out there and learn more.

Oh, and we got to drink champaign out of the the 96 year-old trophy that lists a who's who of sailing these past 96 years.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  20. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Strat-Talker

Oct 10, 2014
    Asheville, NC
    Proud of you and your son. Job well done against some of the best in the world.

- Bob

knh555 likes this.