Join Strat-Talk Today

Star Wars Episode IX Teaser Trailer

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Chont, Apr 14, 2019.

1. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Indeed. I was 16.
    10 years of looking forward to it.
    The new theme music (which ended up being used for TNG)
    Then the throwback trumpet riff from TOS drew cheers.
    Everyone laughed at "Toooorpeeeeedo Aaaawaaaaaaaeeeeeeee" in the wormhole.
    Everyone looked confused leaving the theater.

Thankfully ST-II was good enough to continue the franchise. Such a huge difference in production between the two.

2. Numbercruncher

Numbercruncher Strat-O-Master

I think the Lucas prequels catch a lot of underserved flack; from those slacker generation X'ers. Relax generation X'ers as I am one of you. But that generation went into the prequels expecting to be blown away the same way they were when they saw A New Hope when they were five years old (at least I was five at the time but had more realistic expectations than many). That is totally unrealistic unless you still have the mind of a five year old.

Natalie Portman sucked but I guess she is pretty enough even though she spends too much time trying to NOT be Natalie Portman. I think Hayden did just fine as Anakin and it sucks he has left Hollywood but that is another story. The rest of the casting was pretty strong and the gen X'ers who hate Jar Jar Binks need to think like a five year old.

All in all I thought the prequels were pretty good and JJ Abrams proved it with his Force Awakens. While the movie was entertaining enough he broke ZERO new ground and the movie turned into a remake of A New Hope. But it had many flaws.

1) Why did Kylo Ren's lights saber have a curved blade? It is a laser and I have yet to see any laser that can do anything other than move in a straight path. This may seem trivial but it breaks form the fictional Star Wars Universe. Every fictional worlds still has its rules and Abrams broke too many.

2) The Millennium Falcon made a jump into hyperspace without precise calculations from the nav computer. Even Han Solo commented, "that has never been done before." My favorite scene in all the movies is when the Millennium Falcon blasted out of Mos Eisley and had to make the jump into hyperspace. As Han so eloquently put it, "traveling through hyper-space ain't like dustin' crops boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star or bounce too close to a Supernova and that'd end your trip real quick wouldn't it?" This created an incredible level of tension and then we see the star trails as "The Falcon" jumps into hyperspace and all is safe.

3) Daisy Ridley wields a light saber with alarming efficiency even though she has had no training. This again breaks the Star Wars code in that to be a Jedi requires years of training.

The Force Awakens was only worth watching and nothing more.

The Last Jedi was a level below Force Awakens and all three are below Luca's three prequels. There was no reason to have Mark Hammil in this movie other than to draw the audience in. Abrams if famous for this. At least with his Star Trek reboot adding the Leonard Nimoy Spock strengthened the movie. He basically served the role of a hermit like Ben Kenobi in A New Hope but Ben at least left his cave and did something story wise.

Rogue One was a fantastic entry.

Solo sucked. The character looked a little like Han but never did we see Han's smirk. The beginning was also too damn dark. Did whichever director at the time not have the confidence to show us what we were supposed to see? Not even Ron Howard could save this.

Of the first three to hit the theaters, Jedi was the weakest entry. How can an empire that ruled the galaxy with an iron fist get defeated by teddy bears. I still don't get that. And another Death Star in only the 3rd movie? Was Lucas already running out of ideas?

I have heard too many theories as to how much of the storyline Lucas had firmed up prior to the success of A New Hope. I am not convinced he planned all along for Darth to be Luke's Dad. The line about betraying and murdering Luke's father can be interpreted as becoming him after all his good was destroyed but I think Lucas had not fleshed out the details yet. And Luke kissing his sister? I don't think Lucas planned for them to be brother and sister or he never would have written that into A New Hope.

So these are my thoughts which are worth no more than any of yours. I'll wait for this next movie to come out on Blu-Ray.
    But all in all the Star Wars films have had a huge impact on pop culture and until I contribute at this level I won't be any more critical than I have been here.

NC

CB91710 likes this.
  3. Numbercruncher

I think a movie can be made about Obi Wan Kenobi after the events in Revenge of the Sith.

NC

CB91710 likes this.
  4. fezz parka

fezz parka The Return of the Red Helmet Strat-Talk Supporter

Saw that in Westwood. I sat though it twice. :)

CB91710 likes this.
  5. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 A not so hapless yeoman............ Strat-Talk Supporter

Other than a few things where I feel George broke his own continuity and thus raised questions about the original trilogy, I mostly liked the prequel trilogy. Still don't like Jar Jar, but I can disregard him in favor of the things I did like.

I didn't buy it, either. I don't think the whole thing was as planned out as has been implied. Unless he's got some funny ideas about brothers and sisters............:eek:

6. circles

circles Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Lest we forget. :(

Numbercruncher and Chont like this.
  7. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 A not so hapless yeoman............ Strat-Talk Supporter

Oh no, please, let's DO forget it..............:D

Even Lucas would like to forget it.

circles likes this.
  8. fezz parka

fezz parka The Return of the Red Helmet Strat-Talk Supporter

I used to hang will Alan Ladd's daughter Kelly. He had the scripts/treatments (there was like 14 of them) in his study. And the original painting that the poster was made from. This was 78 -79.

Ladd was the first movie's champion at the studio. The board at Fox was worried about the money the were spending. Ladd as head of the studio simply said "There's something here...we're going to roll the dice. I've got a great feeling about this". And...he was right.

9. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

Can the saga end a bit quicker please.

I can’t believe how much I don’t care about this movie.

10. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

I heard they're making another Trilogy just for you

11. Chont

Ian McDiarmid is in the cast. Hmmmm.....

wonder how they're gonna pull that one off.

Numbercruncher likes this.
  12. nadzab

nadzab Peace & Love, my Brothers & Sisters... Strat-Talk Supporter

Some very good points. I still liked Solo, though.

Chont likes this.
  13. Chont

gonna have to give it a fair shot. I wish it was downloadable on Netflix. I have a long commute so perfect opportunity to watch movies on the bus.

I haven't set my expectations too high on that one and i'm ok with them casting someone other than Harrison Ford to play a young Solo. Its a movie.

nadzab likes this.
  14. Numbercruncher

Hopefully NOT with time travel as that will prove that they are once and for all, out of ideas.

NC

DancesWithWeasels likes this.
  15. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Senior Stratmaster

Did not think this would be a huge topic here.

So let me start by saying I've been a huge fan over the years and I've also been a big comic book fan. I say that because in comics you have to accept that there are a few hard rules for a character, but the interpretation of said character and a given story arc can vary wildly between creative teams. That's fine for one off stories. Rogue One is when things go well. It holds to hard and fast rules, fleshes out a known element, but still manages to provide depth and add new characters. It's genuinely miles above A New Hope, but hey that first movie really was just a space western.

Solo was good, but only if you look at it through the lens of a one off or what-if kind of story. It does flow into the original story, but it's a different take on the character. Go into it knowing that it's a stand alone story *based* on the Han Solo character, and it stands on its own just fine. The same way movies *based* on a book can be great, but never fully live up to the book.

I liked The Force Awakens. I also enjoyed The Last Jedi. But, they should not have switched writers/directors. The property was too important to divvy up a trilogy between that many creative teams. This would be like a guest artist/writer stepping into the middle of a comic book story arc and just doing whatever the hell they wanted to. You're going to get mixed results and people unhappy with things. There was so much mystique to the backstory of many things set up in TFA that were either entirely brushed off with TLJ or done poorly. I still like the movie, but it was a mistake. Now they have the unfortunate situation of having to basically retcon a few things inside of their own trilogy.

All that said, I think they will wrap it up nicely and I'm excited for it.

16. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

I agree completely. And retcons can be fine. Rogue One retcons "why is the Death Star so easy to blow up." Empire retcons Luke & Leia as siblings. It works. The thing where Vader is Luke's father was planned from the beginning, and fairly transparent--"darth vader" is literally "dark father" in German.

The Anakin trilogy retcons Kenobi to make every single thing he ever said in A New Hope to be a lie. Right down to "This was your father's" lightsaber, could they not have tried to make the prop look like the original? And: "I don't recall having an R-2 unit." See, A New Hope needs Kenobi to be honorable and decent, for the story to work. Yes, he lies--once, when he thinks it's important. If you retcon him into a manipulative bastard who never once tells the truth, it ruins him as a character. There are lines you don't cross in comics, and this is one.

One-offs do occasionally cross the line, and even in comics they occasionally do things that are not accepted as canon. For instance, in the "X-Men and the Micronauts" miniseries Charles Xavier uses his telepathic power to psychically rape one of his teenage students. The rest of canon treats this as though it simply didn't happen. It goes entirely against his character, and the main X-Men comic never treated him as a child sex offender...I guess you can pretend it didn't happen, but that means he got away with it, right? If you know that's a thing he does, it makes his entire character different. Why spandex uniforms at this school, Chuck?

17. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Senior Stratmaster

Absolutely. I'm a big Batman fan and there are some truly wacky stories out there that just don't make the cut for canon. Some are explicitly made as such, but some you can pick and chose for yourself. The SW prequels are straight up non canon to me. I just pretend they don't exist. I as in HS when they came out and had been a fan for years, so I TRIED really hard to make myself love them. Didn't work out. There have been some fan edits of the prequels that cut it down to just one decent movie. Those are great. They usually start with the Darth Maul fight scene at the end of The Phantom Menance and then splice the good bits from the next two. I'll never watch all three as complete movies again. Not worth the time.

18. circles

circles Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Editing is important.

19. Class A Knob

Class A Knob Senior Stratmaster

Disney is polishing turds right now after the last debacle. Rogue One is the only good one outside of the original trilogy. Solo was epically bad.

20. Class A Knob

Class A Knob Senior Stratmaster

+1

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.