Join Strat-Talk Today

Star Wars Episode IX Teaser Trailer

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Chont, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Class A Knob

Class A Knob Senior Stratmaster

TLJ was the equivalent of the missed field goal in the Super Bowl by the Buffalo Bill's kicker.

Chont likes this.
  2. DancesWithWeasels

DancesWithWeasels Strat-Talk Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I felt sorry for Portman and Christensen in the prequels. Both were young actors working under a director known for his tight and literal style. I can't recall the exact quote, but I think it was an exasperated Harrison Ford who said something like, "George, nobody can say these lines!"

Compared against "Force Awakens" and "Last Jedi" I'm obliged to give Lucas some credit. The prequels weren't rehashes or reboots. It's perhaps unfortunate that Lucas had such total control over the prequel scripts, but at least he had the courage to try new things. As weak as the prequel stories were, they weren't about pulling the rug out from under the audience or deconstructing the Star Wars mythos. Lucas was working to build up the mythos. With the help of better screenwriters, he might have succeeded.

Lucas also engaged in world building, something I think the new films have done poorly (with the exception of Rogue One). That Lucas perhaps emphasized world-building over story is arguable, but the two are not incompatible. What truly memorable new locations did "Force Awakens" or "Last Jedi" give us? "Last Jedi" gave us Luke's island, but it's just a rocky island that could be anywhere (like, you know, off the coast of Ireland). Of the new films, I thought "Rogue One" did an admirable job of creating the illusion of new settings and using them well. (I have not seen "Solo".) The prequels were not what I could have wished, but Lucas and his art team at least bothered to build up new settings. They tried to take us to new worlds, and that was a big part of what the original three films accomplished, especially for young minds learning to explore the power of fantasy.

Numbercruncher likes this.
  3. Class A Knob

Portman is doing just fine. I forgot she was even in a star wars movie. Hayden on the other hand, sorry dude....

4. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Senior Stratmaster

Outside of the discussion of the current movies etc....anyone else ever figure that the Rogue Squadron series of SW books would make a fine line of movies?
    Also, Shadow of the empire would be great as well IMHO.

Yup, I’m a fan....might explain the SITH sticker on the back of my vehicle.....:)

Chont likes this.
  5. fezz parka

fezz parka Going....Going....Gone. Strat-Talk Supporter

Surely bad guys can be force ghosts too? LOL

Chont likes this.
  6. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

Yeah that would make a lot more sense.

There is that Death-star wreckage In the trailer. I hope they don’t make him some decrepit old hermit who hitched a ride on a broken piece of the Death-Star hurling through space after he got tossed over the railing

7. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

Day One
    Sits in shack on Tatooine hiding from the Empire

Repeat

Numbercruncher likes this.
  8. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

So Palpatine is alive? He wasnt lying to Anakin when he said he had the secret to eternal life?

9. Numbercruncher

Numbercruncher Strat-O-Master

It is clear she gets special privileges in Hollywood just like getting into Harvard. She is at best an average actress but gets enough publicity that people cannot help but think she is better than she is.

NC

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  10. Class A Knob

Nkay......

11. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But seriously... I would imagine he's been a "Force Ghost" hanging around the wreckage of the Death Star for the last 30 years.

12. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Between Revenge of the Sith and New Hope, and Return of the Jedi and The force Awakens, there is 40-60 years of missing story that doesn't have to focus on the Skywalkers.
    The original trilogy covered what, 3-5 years? This last trilogy covered what, 6 months? The first trilogy spanned 20 years, but if we ignore Phantom Menace, we're only looking at maybe 3-5 years.
    Ya... An origin story featuring ObiWan being found and trained would be the only thing they could do at this point... and too much risk of that being a rewrite of Empire.

13. circles

circles Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

The Onion reviews Rogue One:

Chont likes this.
  14. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

They need to bring in Denis Lawson to reprise his role as Wedge Antilles

Would make sense to have him on board commanding the flight crews.

CB91710 likes this.
  15. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Senior Stratmaster

Wedge Antilles is in the Rogue Squadron series of books. Great series IMHO.

To clarify my original post for the none deep fans, Rogue Squadron is an extensive series of books that when I mention it people think I am referring to the Rogue One movie. 2 different entities.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.