Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Revisited)

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Eoraptor1, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Chont

Chont Senior Stratmaster

Sep 25, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    The pickle the resistance was in kind of reminded me of the Battlestar Galactica episode "33" in the mid 2000’s series reboot. It worked very well in that episode so i think they could have made the tensity work in TLJ but yeah like you said they filled it up with busy work.

2. radd

radd Strat-O-Master

Jun 2, 2016
    Santa cruz
    I liked the movie. I did find one aspect of it I did not really like, typical of many action movies now the fight scenes are way to long and there are to many.

Chont and texastengu like this.
  3. stratman in va

stratman in va Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 27, 2012
    Virginia
    All in all I liked TLJ, but it was not my favorite of the Star Wars films. At some point I want to see it again, since I missed a little at the beginning ( usually our local theater has 10 plus minutes of ads and fluff before the movie, but none for TLJ) and missed a little midway.

I go way back with Star Wars, so always a lot of love for the original 3 films from the 70s and 80s. Not much love for Episodes I to III however! In some ways I feel that Rogue One was the strongest of these later films.
    I liked TFA and TLJ as far as a good trip to the movies. It did seem to me that there were a couple of side diversions in TLJ that were there to burn up time, and did not do much for the story. Perhaps one or the other side story, but not both would have worked better.

It seems to me that Rey is a "new Luke" of sorts, a young person from out in the sticks who is going to make a big splash in the world. Perhaps the next film has a lot of action in store with her at the center of it.

Chont likes this.
  4. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 4, 2008
    Stratford,Ontario
    I partly blame a certain type of "fan" for that. The kind that aren't happy no matter what they get. I remember all the uproar over The Force Awakens for just being a retread of the original. And in many ways, it was, hit all the same major plot points. Given that, I think they decided to go a completely different way with TLJ, to avoid any hint of a retread of ESB. And I don't think they fully thought out the new direction, or handled it as well as they could have, leading to a lot of the problems I have with the movie on a deeper level. And why I say, to me, it's not a good actual sequel.

Monkeyboy likes this.
  5. stratman in va

stratman in va Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 27, 2012
    Virginia

Give Rogue One a try ... might help to wash Ep 1 out of your system!

Chont likes this.
  6. Mr BC

Mr BC Strat-Talker

Jul 30, 2012
    NC
    I have yet to see TLJ, I was very disappointed in TFA. To me it was just a way to get original cast back in it before they all croak ( RIP, Carrie). It's Disney now, so..... merchandising. The whole concept of the 1st order is moronic, the humor was way too overt and forced, though I liked that reprogrammed droid. Han's death was terribly done, plot pacing, etc., etc....

Rogue One, to me, was the sequel these new movies should be/ have been.

So far, the new trend is capitalizing on the nostalgia from the original trilogy and the hope that parents will inspire the same in their kids because, merchandising.... ☹

I'm still going to see TLJ , I hope I'm not again disappointed.

Monkeyboy likes this.
  7. Chont

Chont Senior Stratmaster

Sep 25, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    yeah... Rogue One was pretty darn awesome.

The droid K2SO is probably one of my favorite characters of the newer batch of films. they really did well with him.

8. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    After reading some scathing reviews of TLJ on the internet, I went into the movie with pretty low expectations. However I really enjoyed it and it far exceeded my expectations. There were a few things in the plot that had me scratching my head, like the situation with Leia already mentioned.

I'm also a huge fan of Rogue One.

We'll see what I think when I watch TLJ again when it is released on Blu Ray, but I walked out of the theater thinking I had just watched my new favorite SW movie, which has always been Empire Strikes Back.

We watched Empire Strikes Back over the weekend and I was struck by how quaint it seemed...it's starting to really show it's age and the acting was nowhere near as good as I had once thought. Still a great movie!

Mississippi_Kid and Chont like this.
  9. Chont

Chont Senior Stratmaster

Sep 25, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    The ONLY complaint I have with Rogue One is that Donnie Yen's character didn't wield a lightsaber. Seems like he would have been a good fit for a lightsaber given he was on a planet that mined Kyber crystals. Could easily have passed that one off as yeah hes not a jedi but he's got access to and knowledge of kyber crystals so therefore he has a light saber.

stratman in va likes this.
  10. BallisticSquid

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    It seems they realized how they blew an opportunity with Maul when they resurrected him in the Clone Wars. No, even being cut in half isn't enough to kill you in Star Wars :). It was a pretty cool story arc, so you accepted it. When they revived him yet AGAIN in Star Wars Rebels, I was left shaking my head...really!?!?!

11. bchaffin72

Oct 4, 2008
    Stratford,Ontario
    I get cut in half all the time. Don't you? Just a temporary inconvenience, really....:D

BallisticSquid likes this.
  12. Chont

Chont Senior Stratmaster

Sep 25, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    It’s just a flesh wound

13. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    It’s only a flesh wound!

14. MagnusR

MagnusR Strat-O-Master

Feb 21, 2013
    Sweden
    Would have liked to know more about Snoke and also some history about Rey, and who was the kid in the end? Apart from that I was happy about TLJ. Good acting from Luke btw.

Mississippi_Kid likes this.
  15. BallisticSquid

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    There's still a chance to learn more about Rey. I supposed some background on Snoke could be worked in too.

I thought Luke's role in the film was great...the storyline involving he and Rey wasn't obvious...very well acted as you point out too.

Mississippi_Kid and MagnusR like this.
  16. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

Jun 13, 2012
    Here
  17. bchaffin72

Oct 4, 2008
    Stratford,Ontario
    The acting was fine, but I were to pick one thing in the movie I really think could have(and should have) been handled better, with just a little tweaking, it was Luke and Rey.

18. Eoraptor1

Eoraptor1 Senior Stratmaster

Aug 4, 2008
    Niagara Falls, NY
    I loved "33". It was one of my favorite Reboot BSG episodes. I didn't like them all. After a while, it seemed like the Colonials would automatically make the most self-destructive choice available, AND I was looking forward to seeing Reboot Count Iblis, but never got to.

JAMES

Chont likes this.
  19. Chont

Chont Senior Stratmaster

Sep 25, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I enjoyed the reboot for a while but stopped around season 2 due to busy life then forgot about it. Its on Amazon Prime so i'm going to watch them on my commute starting tonight. Now if only someone would make a good Buck Rogers film we'd be in business.

20. Eoraptor1

Eoraptor1 Senior Stratmaster

Aug 4, 2008
    Niagara Falls, NY
    I'm wondering, Chont. Is your avatar a self-portrait? Were your ancestors so persecuted in prehistory that they lost their wings, but ended up having really cool spaceships shaped like hawks?

JAMES

Chont likes this.