Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Static Issue

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Dick Blackmore, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Strat-O-Master

Jan 10, 2017
    San Diego
    My sons friend came over with his MIM yesterday upset because of static. My son thought I could fix it for him. Initially I thought it was probably pick guard static.

Plugged it in. Got static from touching the pickup adjustment screws, not all but some. Played the guitar got the clear clean single coil sound but with it there was static, all positions. When I touched the output jack the static went away.

I rubbed down the scratch plate with a dryer sheet. Tuned her back up and same thing.

I am sorry I did not take pictures. Here are some things I observed.

57/62 set.
    Pickup mounting screws are touching foil on the scratchplate.
    Ground went to a screw in the bottom of the cavity instead of to the trem claw (where I usually go with this wire).
    Soldering job was a little sloppy but nothing was loose.
    Blender mod was wired. The 'blender' knob was probably modified with a razor 'no load' was written in sharpie. (the volume, tone and blender knob all worked correctly except for the static)
    Touching the output jack might have made the hiss subside.
    Only hisses when touching stuff or playing
    Static hiss is in all positions.

The static was consistent when playing but separate from the guitar signal, the pickup signal is clear and the static sits beside it if that makes sense. If anybody knows some things I can look at before I re wire the whole thing that would be great.

Just to be clear this is not 60 cycle hum.

2. Bodean

Bodean You'll shoot your eye out kid Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 23, 2014
    South Carolina
    Sounds like your hiss is a hum from a bad ground. More than likely from the bad solder job you describe.
    Another thing. The black wire screwed to the cavity is to ground the shielding. There should still be one to the claw as well.

Dick Blackmore likes this.

3. Willie D

Willie D Senior Stratmaster

I was thinking no ground to the trem claw sounded wrong.
    There's probably a cold solder joint in there somewhere.

4. Dick Blackmore

Jan 10, 2017
    San Diego
    There was no wire running to the trem. I did not have a ton of time with it but I am sure of that.

Bodean likes this.

5. Bodean

Aug 23, 2014
    South Carolina
    That is probably your problem, or one of them.:D
    That ground would run from volume pot to trem claw.
    Sounds like somebody did some shabby work. Probably all the wiring may need to be checked, and at the least resoldered. Normally the soldering at the pots is what trips everybody up. Using low heat soldering irons to try to solder those wires is like peeing in a fan.:D

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017

6. Dick Blackmore

Jan 10, 2017
    San Diego
    I'm feeling pretty confident this is the issue. I was planning on going over every joint once I had it on my workbench. My experience is mostly with changing pots and pickups not doing complete wiring jobs so your observations are greatly appreciated. Thanks for your insights I will report back.

Bodean likes this.

7. Bodean

Aug 23, 2014
    South Carolina
    Please do.