Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Steinberg UR-12 or Focusrite Scarlett Solo (2nd Gen)

Discussion in 'Home Recording Studio' started by Stratstruck, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Stratstruck

Stratstruck Strat-Talk Member

Dec 25, 2013
    Bangalore
    Hello friends !

Big dilemma.. which one to choose ?

Scarlett Solo 2nd Gen

or

Steinberg UR 12

I have used the Scarlett solo 1st gen few years ago.. I wasn't really happy as I had some issue's with clipping and the DAW it came with was quite an Einsteins equation to me to understand (Abelton Live lite) though I didn't face any major latency issues as such with 1st gen scarlett. I have heard good things about Steinberg in various online forums, Unfortunately I have no prior experience with Steinberg. Where I stay both are priced at similar cap, wherein in the Steinberg is a tad less expensive , I use a PC with Windows 7 OS. I am more inclined to record the instrument through a mic setup..

Help appreciated !!

2. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Senior Stratmaster

Oct 21, 2013
    Calgary
    I have really enjoyed my Focusrite Clarett - no experience with Steinberg.

This might be of interest though

3. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Im biased, as I use one, but I'd pick Scarlett Solo. The 2nd gen seems to have corrected the issues of the 1st gen models.

4. Stratstruck

Dec 25, 2013
    Bangalore
    Thank you both of you for your respective reply's..

I bought a Focusrite Scarlett solo 2nd Gen.. !!

GuitarPix and TheDuck like this.

5. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Senior Stratmaster

Oct 21, 2013
    Calgary
    What DAW will you be running? Being a Mac guy I use Logic - but I hear Reaper is a great , affordable, one and probably easier than Ableton Live which really is a live performance sample looper. I've also looked at Harrison Mix Bus which looks interesting.

6. Stratstruck

Dec 25, 2013
    Bangalore
    Well.. I need to fiddle around with the free DAW which comes with the bundle.. but if it turns out sour again.. Reaper would be the right option as you said.

7. moullineaux

moullineaux Senior Stratmaster

Jul 11, 2009
    ATLANTA, GA
    I used steinberg Cubase for years without problems, recently went Mac and using clarett as my DAW and it's amazing. All I got.

8. deke

deke Strat-Talk Member

May 10, 2014
    Philly
    Ah, finally I can be of help here! I had a Steinberg UR22 for many years. I almost exclusively used it for electric guitar, but some acoustic guitar recording too. I upgraded to more inputs with a Focusrite 18i8 and was immediately much more happy with my guitar tones (Mac using S-Gear, but also GR5, Amplitube...). Driver installs were also much less a hassle, though Scarlett Mix Control is an annoying usability disaster with a user interface straight out of 1998, though you don't need to use it much at all. Later I started using a direct box with it and that improved the guitar tones even more (thread on this here). So, I believe all the scarletts use the same preamps, so I say go for the Focusrite. As for free software... IMO I wouldn't bank on that too much. Go for the tone first! :)

Missed your post that you bought a Scarlett. You made a good decision. Enjoy!