Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Steve Miller and Peter Frampton Live tonight

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by nickmsmith, Jun 12, 2018.

1. circles

circles Most Honored Senior Member

Frampton Comes Alive and Fly Like an Eagle were both in my LP collection.

nickmsmith likes this.

2. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 10, 2009
    Texas
    I will echo what gas already been said about Mr. Frampton.

Frampton is an absolute killer guitar player and IMO better than he has ever been. He reminds me a little of Beck in how their playing just keeps getting better and better.

My humble prediction.....

Frampton steals the show by a country mile.

Wish I was going, have fun!

CigBurn and nickmsmith like this.

3. archetype

archetype Strat-O-Master

Nov 26, 2016
    Williamsville NY
    I remember seeing Frampton play for an evening with the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra. Stunning. The music all meshed together very well.

Textele likes this.

4. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    Absolutely true. Miller is on his encore now... frampton is miles better in every way.

Textele likes this.

5. Class A Knob

Class A Knob Strat-Talker

Nov 25, 2017
    California
    I saw Miller in '97 and it was great. He even talked about playing Monterry Pop (the one where Jimi torched his guitar)

6. Rob Moreno

Rob Moreno Strat-O-Master

May 28, 2017
    Tokyo
    I saw Steve Miller perform back in 1989. It was a great show, outdoors on a beautiful summer night. My friends and I had general admission tickets on the lawn. The first half of his set was just him performing solo with his acoustic guitar. Then the band kicked in for the 2nd half. It was a fantastic evening. I'm sure you'll have a blast tonight!

circles and nickmsmith like this.

7. rudos1

rudos1 Senior Stratmaster

Aug 16, 2013
    Boston
    Seen SM a few times and really enjoyed it, I have never seen Frampton and have worn out vinyl and cassette copies of Come Alive and am psyched to be going to see this show here in Boston in a couple weeks. Did they jam together? I heard that is the highlight of the shows...

8. nickmsmith

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    They did a few blues jams together during the Steve Miller set.

circles likes this.

9. Dynaman

Dynaman Strat-Talk Member

Jan 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Frampton is an awesome player and just looks like he is having a whale of a time whenever he plays.

nickmsmith likes this.

10. KillingTone

KillingTone Strat-Talker

Mar 13, 2017
    Yardley, PA USA
    Only saw Frampton once, on a summer stadium tour during the Frampton Comes Alive era ('76 I think). He headlined at old JFK stadium in Philadelphia and was, to my memory, absolutely as good as you'd expect him to be, given that we all had very high expectations since Frampton Comes Alive was made from a live mix of great performances. Talk about weird pairings, the second act at that show was Lynyrd Skynyrd so you had a mix of southern rock fans and more straight RnR fans. I also have seen him a couple of times on AXS TV recently, including a fantastic acoustic show. He is really a great player, with much more style variety in his later years. Very, very entertaining guy.

Textele likes this.

11. nickmsmith

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    He really was really good. I would pay to see him again.

Much more proficient than Steve Miller, who kinda seemed to stumble around the fretboard on excessive soloing, compared to Frampton, who stayed engaging.

Frampton should have closed out the night, although Steve miller was still good, and definitely had about 10 more recognizable songs.

If you can fiddle around on guitar and still keep people's attention like Frampton does, you're really doing something. Recently with Neal Schon and Steve Miller, I've just gotten tired of their performances mid-concert.

Journey was just an assault to the eardrum to me, High pitched singing and guitar playing grated on me after awhile, at high volumes, even though I love Journey's music.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018

12. KillingTone

KillingTone Strat-Talker

Mar 13, 2017
    Yardley, PA USA
    Forgot to mention Steve Miller in my previous post! Saw him once, before Fly Like an Eagle. Not as much rock-pop stuff, more straight ahead blues and rock. But, surprising to me at the time, he was a showman on stage, including playing behind his head. I seem to remember him being referred to on FM radio in those days as Stevie "Guitar" Miller, does anyone else remember that? BTW, really interesting interview with him recently by Dan Rather on The Big Interview on AXS TV.

Bob the builder likes this.

13. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    He has some fantastic Les Paul tones. His playing is so melodic. Not a typical player.

AncientAx and nickmsmith like this.

14. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Senior Stratmaster

Feb 20, 2018
    Wiltshire UK
    1968 Peter Frampton formed the group Humble Pie with Steve Marriott, he's done his apprenticeship!

15. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Senior Stratmaster

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    I saw PF live maybe 10-12 years ago in a small venue (under 5k) and he had not lost a thing. If anything, he was better than in the FCA era. Warm, humorous and genuine as well. That was one show I will never forget.

ukoldgit and nickmsmith like this.

16. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Senior Stratmaster

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    Oh, and he was LOUD, too...;)