Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Stickers on new tubes

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Miotch, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Jun 28, 2011
    ok
    Got two pair of Mesa 84s recently and just stuck them in amp.
    All four have paper stickers around the top (pin side) of the glass, delineating proudly how they rated by color.

Just got to thinking that nothing good can come of paper stickers around really hot glass tubes.

Do I take 'em off? Loathe peeling stickers and removing glue, but wouldn't be the first nor last time.

2. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

Mesa tubes normally have the paper indication sticker around the base of the tube. not touching the glass, its usually wrapped around the bottom. I have never taken them off, I have never had a problem with them... if your stickers are on the actual tube glass, that is a shock... I would be surprised to see that. but if they do bother you, take them off, dont scratch the glass and use 99 percent alcohol to remove the glue and any hand oils.

but lets see these tubes.

bhr17 likes this.
  3. Miotch

Jun 28, 2011
    ok
    Definitely on the glass. Seems more of a plastic than paper, though.
    el84 tube.jpg

circles likes this.
  4. carver

That is a NEW one to me!

I have never seen that.

mind you the only tubes I have experience with for mesa would be El34 and 84, 12AX7 12AT7, 6L6, and 5U4G and these all had paper stickers around the base other than the Pre amp tubes

I wouldnt worry about that marking. I figure if mesa put it there, the tubes passed their tests with them on, so no harm should come from it.

then again mesa does "hand test" the tubes. so who knows how good they are? I have held tubes in the past and I dont see how that is testing them. your hands have very little current.. most tubes are better tested in an amp. friggen mesa. must be that california air.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    StratSounds likes this.
  5. StratSounds

StratSounds Senior Stratmaster

Sep 10, 2016
    Rocky Mountain Way
    That is strange. It must be some kind of plasticized label that can take the heat.

6. Miotch

Jun 28, 2011
    ok
    Reckon I’ll find out!!

7. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

Jan 8, 2016
    philadelphia
    There is no danger to your tubes from a sticker, or fingerprints etc.

That sticker will not affect them in any way.
    They are tubes, not halogen bulbs.

It is unusual to see a sticker on the glass part of a tube, but el84s have no plastic base, so .... that's why there's a sticker on the glass.

Peel it off, leave it on..... makes zero difference to your tubes.

shovelmike, Ebidis, rolandson and 2 others like this.
  8. Lester H

Lester H Strat-Talker

Jun 6, 2018
    Kansas
    Ruby puts stickers on their EL84 and preamp tubes as well. The sticker will smell a little bit once the tube gets hot the first couple of times and it will discolor some as well and then that's it. Over time they can fall off. Haven't had any catch fire in case you were wondering.

bhr17 likes this.
  9. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    I peel them off because I don't like the looks, particularly on my open-tube amp.

10. craigh

craigh Strat-Talker

Nov 20, 2016
    US
    Hand tested is better than foot tested

11. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    That depends on the product....

12. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    EL 84s get hot. I mean really hot.
    Way too hot to touch. That´s why it doesn´t make any sense to put on paper esp- on an EL84.
    If you touch an EL84 after playing it for a while your skin will stick to the glas because your skin is burned and it melted onto the glas.
    Don´t ask me how I know that. There was an AC30 20 years ago and I didn´t know the tubes did not cooled down enough and I thought well, how hot can they be. I found out.
    Not a good idea putting anything on a tube.
    The tubes doesn´t care about that and it really doesn´t matter for the tube.
    Paper can burn and it will burn. In an amp that is not a good thing.
    Maybe this is a new invention by Randall - post burn in tubes.
    We know - he invented all things about and around tubes - ever.
    By the way those are russian made tubes. You can get a quad of them for a handful of dollars in Russia.
    I know they are special hand selected by some blonde maidens in the Boogie paradise.
    Sorry, I just need more coffee this morning, I am afraid.

All the best,
    Robin

circles likes this.
  13. shovelmike

shovelmike Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2013
    Missouri
    Wow, Robin, I had no idea that any tube ran that hot. I did that searing fingers thing with a halogen bulb once, quite miserable.. won't do it again.

14. Triple Jim

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    I did it while making titles for an 8mm movie when I was about 13. The old 120v incandescent photo lights had a 4 hour life, and made very white light. I brushed my arm against one, and a half dollar sized piece of skin stuck to the light. Funny how I remember that 47 years later.

15. Miotch

Jun 28, 2011
    ok
    They do get damned hot. Smell when hot is subsiding after an hour of use. Started to take them off, but decided it’s easier to tell which are matched this way. Sure they will soon fade to where I can’t read them anyway. Plus I purposely place matched tubes where they are not matched on channels. Just an idiosyncrasy I developed years ago ...

16. carver

haha @Robins is perfectly in line there with the idea that those little suckers get hot

I also learnt the hard way.

DC 3 - running strong for a band practice when my 5150 at the time was in the shop.

Packing things up, I bumped my arm into those suckers.

nifty smell. followed by some nifty language.

not as bad as the time I got lifted from a marshall and a bad ground. my drummer was looking at me and just casually asked "you getting a lifter over there" then he kicked me. good guy. love him to bits.s

Robins likes this.
  17. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

Jan 8, 2016
    philadelphia
    Is that normal? I have el34 , 6l6, and 6v6 amps. (I don't seem to like el84s in guitar amps it would seem).

Yes they get hot (the power tubes). You certainly wouldn't want to hold one in the palm of your hand.

But i have never seared flesh on them.
    In fact, you would probably have to hold them for a good 10 seconds before you got a serious burn.

Do el84s run that hot?
    Are they supposed to?

18. Miotch

Jun 28, 2011
    ok
    Never seared flesh but have had very painful fingers trying to pull them out too soon. Painful for a day or more. After five minutes, still warm enough I used a cloth to pull them.

19. Triple Jim

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    It does make sense when you think about them both having a 12 watt plate dissipation maximum, but one is physically much larger than the other. You get the same amount of heat in a smaller envelope, so the temperature is much higher. On top of that, the EL84's heater current is higher, so it actually produces slightly more heat overall than the 6V6.

rocknrollrich likes this.
  20. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    That amp was an AC30 - no other amp pushes those little suckers harder than the AC30.
    The only reason you can´t bias any AC30 hotter is it runs them over the specs anyway.
    Hotter means tubes dying in split of a second.

The KT88 is around 100°C (212 Fahrenheit) - max temperature(limit) is about 250°C (482 Fahrenheit).
    Yes, the EL86 is smaller and gets hot esp. in the AC30. Brian May´s tech has to change them per gig. They are using the sturdiest tubes and a power conditioner to keep the voltage straight - because they have to.

It would be interesting though - maybe someone having an AC30 could measure the heat using one of those cool multimeters with heat measuring option. But I am afraid he/she would have to crank that amp xD

Let me put it that way - with normal tubes in normal amps you would absolutely get heat blisters. With an AC30 you get some "The Thing"-fingers but lovely red - skin removed but still on the tube. BBQ.

All the best,
    Robin

carver likes this.