Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Sticky fretboard, most frustrating!!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Maeneman, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Maeneman

Maeneman Former Member

Dec 30, 2012
    Belgium
    Hi guys,

Got another question for y'all.
    Got a new strat a few weeks ago and have been literally playing it for at least 3 hours a day. Before i sanded the back of the maple neck down to a mat kinda looking back.

Anyway since a day or two i really feel like the neck is slowing down, as in getting very sticky both on the fretboard (which is also maple) and the back as well although i sanded it down a bit.
    I did not do anything to the fretboard btw.

So my question: Should i sand the fretboard, will it make it faster??
    Did i make the back of the neck slower because of playing it
    so much? (making the mat finish kinda satin again?)

Let me know your thoughts, i'm really desperate to get this baby playing smooth as silk again!!

thanks a lot

2. David Garner

David Garner Senior Stratmaster

Is it a nitro finish or poly?

The former will wear in after a few months and the stickiness will go away. I lightly smoothed mine with 0000 steel wool, but you can certainly sand it if you want. Poly is a bit different -- it won't wear in, at least in my experience. I prefer satin finishes on poly necks for that reason.

It's really a personal preference. The only problem is if you don't like it, it's a permanent mod, so you can't "unsand" it.

3. Maeneman

Maeneman Former Member

Dec 30, 2012
    Belgium
    Well, it's a poly finish. And playability is my main concern. So i really don't mind the neck looking worn or dirty of whatsoever...
    Think i'm gonna go for a sand...

Thanks for the info!

4. joaquin.moreno

joaquin.moreno Strat-Talker

Jul 23, 2010
    uruguay
    you have to buff of the neck. What i do is to sand the back with a 600 grit or more just until i feel it slides ok, not too far. Then clean the fretboard with a polish solution.

The grab a dremel or a similar tool with a buffing accesory and some light buffing solution and polish all.

5. Maeneman

Maeneman Former Member

Dec 30, 2012
    Belgium
    But if i polish, won't i just have the same problem again after a few weeks?

6. Maeneman

Maeneman Former Member

Dec 30, 2012
    Belgium
    so was the neck you sanded poly or nitro?

7. tdrommond

tdrommond Senior Stratmaster

Jul 20, 2012
    Norman, OK
    Try this as a starting place:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxGz6IZ9BFI

Only other advice I'll throw in here is keep steel wool as far away from your guitar as possible. That sounds extreme, but there's a good reason.

Steel wool is like honey. It gets on everything and sticks like glue. Since it's magnetic, the pickups attracting like a moth to a flame. The furry little stuff will pit the pole pieces almost instantly. When it's charged in the magnetic field it becomes more aggresive. I learned this the hard way. I love steel wool for refinishing furniture. So I got after my Squier SE with it for the same reason you've asked. All three pickups were furry in about 5 min. On my Affinity, I thought I'd be smart and pull the neck off. It was a great idea...it didn't work. I got the neck back on, strung up and looked down to see furry pickups again.

I ran a big magnet over my clothes and found the source. It was in my jeans, my shirt, my socks and to tops of my tennis shoes. So I would have needed to change clothes before getting near the pickups to prevent it.

I now use 3M Scotchbright pads, Grey is like 00, Green is like 000 and the White Finishing pad is like 0000. It leaves a nice sheen, but is smooth and almost warm to the touch. I also use a little talc when I'm playing for a while. Jeff Beck piles it on, but I'm more of a duster.

8. Fernandomania

Fernandomania Senior Stratmaster

May 31, 2012
    SunnySoCal
    I find that if I keep the neck and my hands clean, it's not really an issue for me. That's on both poly and nitro.

9. BlueCajun

BlueCajun Senior Stratmaster

Apr 1, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    +1. I used a green scotch brite pad on the back of my Am Std Strat's neck, and it worked really well. The neck was finished in poly. It wasn't "sticky" per se, but more "grabby." I taped off the area around the neck pocket (so not to scratch the body), and applied 6-10 swipes. It's really smooth now.

10. Maeneman

Maeneman Former Member

Dec 30, 2012
    Belgium
    Talked to the guy who works on all of my guitars, he says "just play the heck out of it" and the stickyness will go away... Hope the poly won't endure my sliding fingers then...

11. Fernandomania

Fernandomania Senior Stratmaster

May 31, 2012
    SunnySoCal
    Yep. No shortcuts.