Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

strange pre-cbs '64 strat

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by stratowine, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-a-holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    I don't even think the neck is legit, that cut under the fender logo that leads into the ball of headstock is wayy too straight.....

There's also a lack of contouring on the back of the headstock....

johnnymg and Bazz Jass like this.

2. Guitar0621

Guitar0621 Strat-Talk Member

May 24, 2017
    USA
    Musikraft does do veneer! Was also wondering about if it was Brazilian or if it might have been darkened with something along with the dots.

Bazz Jass likes this.

3. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 19, 2014
    Comfy Chair
    The saddles.....

Saddles.jpg

....are from Crazy Parts:

https://www.crazyparts.de/images/img_1042_1038.jpg

PAT PEND and Fender positioning - too close to the height adjustment screws. Originals (and most repros actually!!) have the PAT PEND stamp further back in line with the string opening:

IMG_4245B.JPG

4. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 19, 2014
    Comfy Chair
    On a positive note, the guitar was inherited, not purchased :p

johnnymg likes this.

5. Guitar0621

Guitar0621 Strat-Talk Member

May 24, 2017
    USA
    It's a real nice relic with some top quality parts. Probably at least $1500 in it. Wonder what the pickups are.

muf magician likes this.

6. Mipstoo

Mipstoo Strat-Talker

Mar 18, 2013
    Rockingham Palace
    Well, one picture of the back of the neck where the heel is would prove it is or it isn't. Very simple.
    I'd guess the OP is not that ignorant that he can be fooled by that.

BTW, if you look at the concave joint on the fingerboard and neck, it's very much like other '64's. It's just a matter of lighting and angle and like said, without more and better pictures of seeing the guitar in real life, there's no way to be sure. I must admit that on that picture I'm not 100% convinced it's a braz board. Contouring is in no way a valid argument to use, since there's so much variation.
    If we need to validate the neck, I'd propose the buyer to remove the tuners and take pictures of the headstock from different angles, better picture of the joint between headstock and veneer rosewood board. A closeup of the dots AND side dots, a picture of the back of the heel of the neck.

Like said before, the body I have much doubts too, and somebody made a real effort to hide and keep certain details.
    For the knobs I'm 100% convinced they are not real, the picture of the bridge @Bazz Jass definitely shows that the bridge is repro which was suspected given the wear and corrosion it shows. The pots are not correct, pickups I'm no expert and I've seen enough builder ones that look convincing enough. The pickguard and shield look correct but I can only verify it in real life, even the Lashing ones will eventually not pass the test.

[​IMG]

7. bandmaster

bandmaster Strat-Talk Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Next to a Fender amp
    Pretty much everything on that guitar looks/ is fake. The tuners, pickguard, neckplate, saddles, bridge, claw, pots, cap, knobs, switch, PU's etc. The neck could be real, but I doubt it with all the other parts being fake/ repro. Would need to see in person to be sure.