Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Strat Dlx in series neck position: WTF?!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by StratPlus97, Jan 11, 2017.

1. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Strat-O-Master

Apr 7, 2016
    USA
    It sounds like a very small person playing in a tiny tin can.
    What's going on here?

Any suggested wiring?

[​IMG]

2. John C

John C Senior Stratmaster

Jul 17, 2012
    Kansas City
    Are you talking about with the S-1 switch on or with it off? Off it's supposed to be the normal neck pickup sound. On it should be quite loud because it's all 3 pickups on in series wiring.

I'm trying to remember how it sounded - I had a 2004 American Deluxe Strat back in 2004, but I mainly remember that I never really used the settings with the S-1 "on". I recall that neck setting as really obnoxiously muddy and loud (and the American Deluxe went out quickly, replaced with an EBMM Silhouette Special).

I wonder if you've got a neck pickup going bad, particularly if you're getting that tiny sound with the S-1 off.

3. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    What year is your Deluxe? I noticed Fender seemed to change the S-1 switching slightly between years, according to what I've seen online, and I had one for a little while. Mine was a 2013.

4. StratPlus97

Apr 7, 2016
    USA
    As I mentioned- NECK POSITION IN SERIES (S-1 switch on)

It's a 2011 and I bought it NOS.
    I do understand how the S-1 works, I was just curious about other peoples wiring configuration experiences

Again, there is no noise level lost.

5. John C

Jul 17, 2012
    Kansas City
    I know you said neck position in series, but I wanted to make sure because description of a "a very small person playing in a tiny tin can" read to me like a description of volume loss from a pickup going out.

Since it's not the case then you need to check out the wiring for that position - it should be louder than any position with the S-1 off and actually bassy.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017

6. StratPlus97

Apr 7, 2016
    USA
    Alrighty then. No attitude here at all...just answering your questions.

You are right, I am clueless.

Anyway, have a great day, and thank you!

7. John C

Jul 17, 2012
    Kansas City
    Sorry; pissy mood today. Good luck figuring it out.

8. Sonny

Sonny .. The smiles returning to the faces .. Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 9, 2009
    Ballerup Denmark
    I never use the S-1 system when I play my deluxe .. I actually never really surrendered to the pups, but the deluxe plays really well

9. StratPlus97

Apr 7, 2016
    USA
    I hear that. I feel that it sounds pretty good in a few of the positions...but your right. Your just better off not touching it.

A local Luthier here mentioned he has done a handful of writing configurations with it, so I'm going to give it a shot.

10. martin82

martin82 Strat-Talk Member

Jan 9, 2009
    New Jersey
    A single coil pup wired in series with another single coil pup should be louder and beefier than a single coil alone. What you describe sounds like an out of phase issue.