Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Strat Experts needed.. ID this 1989 USA Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by joeybsyc, Nov 26, 2011.

1. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    Thank you for posting this. The existence of US-built Squiers based on parts that failed Fender's MIA assembly-line QC is known and has been documented on this forum in the past. However, not a lot of people are aware of this, so it's worth flagging it up. The unfortunate legacy of Leo's bolt-together designs is how easy is to 'upgrade' one model to what seems to be another.

Of course, Leo's objective was to make playable instruments that working guitarists could afford. The idea that there would be 'up-market' and 'entry-level' Strats – with a mass of different models in between – would have probably infuriated him!

stratman323 likes this.

2. Americium

Americium New Member! Silver Member

Apr 9, 2018
    Paradise, CA
    True That, Good Sir! But with some of the prices I see on new USA Fenders (pretty as they are...) it makes it a bit more difficult for the average Joe to get.

I have been wondering about my "MIA" Strat for a while now and knowing that is it not a fake is helping ease the pain of the trade I did to obtain it.

3. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Well it is fake in the sense that it isn't what it's made out to be. You assumed it was an American Standard, but it definitely isn't. The person who removed the "Squier" part of the decal was engaging in an act intended to deceive - & he succeeded.

Shame on Fender for making Squiers in this way, badging them as MADE IN USA & playing into the hands of the fakers. They caused the confusion.

simoncroft likes this.

4. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-a-holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    That's just it....there was no Squier part of the decal removed....Fender legitimately messed up and put a factory American Standard decal and serial on a USA Squier guitar....and there are a few examples out there like this one from 1989/1990

So....there is a chance whoever traded with @Americium really did not know their guitar was NOT an American Standard....we know it's supposed to have a 2 point bridge and can spot other irregularities...but can the average joe?

5. Americium

Apr 9, 2018
    Paradise, CA
    Right, I agree. At the time I made the trade I didn’t know Strats as well even as I do since I started this thread. The logo does look factory, no weird water slide decal look or marks that would indicate it was changed.

What I meant is that even though it’s not a fully American Standard now I know it’s a legitimately MIA even if the parts are substandard or some are not made in the US. In fact in one of the threads guitarmaggedon provided there is a guy who showed a Fender dealer price book from 89 that listed a Strat version that was MIA (actually didn’t say that but didn’t show as MIM or MIJ) but much cheaper than the fully MIA Strat. It is thought that is probably these Strats that were MIA just prior to the beginning of the MIM Strats. Maybe Fender was proofing the build process before transferring to Mexico and why not sell the product as MIA if it mostly is?

6. Americium

Apr 9, 2018
    Paradise, CA
    And yes, it’s possible the guy I got it from didn’t know what it really was, as I didn’t.

7. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    You see, if I had been told that story from someone other than you, I probably wouldn't believe them. It's so far-fetched & ridiculous. But you have a proven track record of reliability on stuff like this, you seem to have a good memory, & I don't believe that you have "an agenda" - so I believe you.

But what a shocking indictment of Fender. Possibly even worse than 1997's California Series, which were also marked as MADE IN USA even though everything about them yells "Mexico!" in a very loud voice. Fender don't seem to value their brand name very much, do they?