Join Strat-Talk Today

Strat Pickups in a Telecaster

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by Loth, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Nate D

Nate D Senior Stratmaster

I dig the neck pickup on my tele too

2. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

My fave bridge tele tone of all time is Keith Urban’s single-pup “Clarence” - EMG SA strat pup in the bridge.

3. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster

Fender can accommodate you with a James Burton Signature Telecaster. Three Strat pickups and a 5-way switch. It *might* sound a bit more solid than a typical Strat due to a Tele body having a bit more wood to it, but it all comes down to the individual chunk of wood you have.

4. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm afraid not. I simply got my local guitar tech to cut an extra hole for the middle pickup in the original scratchplate.

Zeekrider likes this.
  5. stratman323

I do have one of each! That's how I know how much I prefer a Strat pickup in the neck position. ;)

Also, I have never wanted a Tele to sound like "a flat-top acoustic guitar". The best Tele neck pickup (IMHO) is the Twisted Tele, mainly because it sounds close to a Strat neck pickup.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Zeekrider and td148 like this.
  6. stratman323

Don't the James Burton Teles all come with Lace Sensors or something "modern" like that? I don't like Lace Sensors.

Also, I think they only come in some sort of weird gold paisley pattern? And they only come with maple - I prefer rosewood. So while they might be great for some people, they are not what I would want.

7. td148

td148 Strat-Talker

1544108276825.jpg

Do it! I don't have a Tele, per se, but this is my number one guitar. Tele neck pup with Strat middle and neck. Makes all the sounds I want. I got tired of messing with guitars, so I finally said to myself, just get it built. Contacted Michael Delaney, and this is what I got.

8. Zeekrider

Zeekrider Strat-Talker

This is EXACTLY what I wanted... Strat tonal bliss, but with a Tele bridge pickup - AND, no volume control next to the bridge. My solution was to go with a Nashville body which was routed for 3 pickups!

I ordered an empty Deluxe Nashville body from Stratosphere, and just installed Fender Custom Shop Strat Fat '50s neck and middle position pickups in the Nashville body, with a Cavalier Huge Lion Tele bridge pickup. I used a Tele Baja '50s maple neck and modern Tele bridge to complete the guitar.

I will be replacing the pick guard with plain white-black-white 3-ply, and the Strat pickup covers with white instead of cream, but this is how she looks today.

[​IMG]

I don't like to "roll off" tone on Strat neck or middle pickups, as I like them to ring clear, clean, and bright... so I wired them to BYPASS the tone control.

The Tele bridge pickup can benefit from some tone control, so I wired in a No-Load tone pot and sent the bridge pickup signal through the no-load tone pot.

How is the sound? Absolutely GLORIOUS. The Fender Custom Shop Fat '50s Strat pickups sound better than I've ever heard them sound before (due to removing the tone circuit for them) and the combination with the Tele bridge pickup is fantastic.

I must say, I like the tones I'm able to get with this "STRAT-TELE" even more than I get with my other three "pure" Strats! It's a SWEET deal. And, no volume knob next to the bridge makes palm muting a lot easier.

I found that with all of my Strats, I never used the tone controls below "10" on either the neck, nor the middle pickups, so by cutting out the tone circuit for those two pickups, I'm really getting the best, clearest, brightest tones from the Fat '50s pickups.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.