Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Strat Talk Improv Challenges Revisited: #111 - Be A Gypsy

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by fezz parka, Feb 3, 2019.

1. fezz parka

fezz parka Do you Reach? Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    Going to Eden...Hey Brother...
    This one is based on Reinhardt's Minor Swing.

The original thread:

http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/improv-challenge-111-be-a-gypsy-mess-with-the-zoltan.350288/

The backing track:

My takes from the original challenge:

Lo-Fi

Hi-Fi

Here's the challenge:

You can go for the original head/melody if you want to, but to really challenge yourself, come up with your own melody/head. This is called a contrafact: creating a new melody over an existing chord progression. (Chords are in the original thread. Read it. ;) )

One of the most famous contrafacts I can think of is the Star Trek theme (TOS). It's a contrafact of the standard Out Of Nowhere. Another is Coltrane's Lazy Bird that's based on Tadd Dameron's Lady Bird.

So...write a melody. A refrain. Stick a little solo in the middle, and return to the head that you've created. Don't play licks. Play melodically.

Like most of these, fit into the ensemble. Play something that fits stylistically and musically with the "band". This means don't shoehorn Purple Haze or Enter Sandman tones in there.

Have fun!
    :D

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  2. Omar

Omar Most Inquisitive Junior Jazzer Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain
    Nice track my brother :thumb:

More like bass guitar player lol

3. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    This is what I'm talking about.

Now for some observations:

Try to start/end phrases on a chord tone. Resolution my brother. Resolution. Analyze the progression....find the chord tones. Let them guide you to a melody. Begin and end your phases on a chord tone.

Now that you have a good feel for the changes...try to let some notes ring a bit. whole notes...half notes... rests. Like breathing.

:D

Omar likes this.
  4. Omar

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain
    Thank you for the observations my brother :) I’ll listen to the track closely and work on the points you’ve mentioned :thumb:

fezz parka likes this.
  5. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
  6. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    I'm in, but here's the reality. At 'oh God' o'clock, four guys from a heating company are arriving to rip out out boiler, meaning we'll have no heating or hot water until they complete the new install on Wednesday. Whether I'm warm/awake enough to take part until then is an unknown. o_O

7. Omar

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain
    Bad timing indeed :confused: Stay warm Simon :thumb:

simoncroft likes this.
  8. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    Here's hoping you have a fireplace. And a microwave. :)

elduderinoTF and simoncroft like this.
  9. chrimturn

chrimturn Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 14, 2013
    Cincinnati
    That’s pretty slick. You’re all over it. I like the lo crackle in there. Yep. Pretty slick.

fezz parka likes this.
  10. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    It's good to have you here, and very nice to hear you play.

As this challenge has some specific things outlined above (it's not a free jam like other threads here and constructive criticism will be given as well. ) here's my observations:

• Here's the chord changes: It's 4 chords: Am/Dm/E7 (i/iv/V) with a E7/Bb7 turnaround. I'd work these first. Then I'd suggest playing the changes as triad arpeggios. That way you'll hear the basic chord tones. 1-b3-5 for the minor chords, 1-3-b7 for the 7th chords.
    • Once you've got those down, expand the arpeggios to quads. 1-b3-5-b7 for the minor chords, 1-3-5-b7 for the 7th chords. This will open up your melodic choices.
    • Working the arpeggios will lead you to thematic development: creating a melody...a refrain if you will. For the solo section, A Harmonic Minor will give you everything you need to get your Gypsy Jazz on. Then return to your refrain.

The revisited threads are for the people who played the first time around to see where they've been and where they are now. For new participants, it's to see where they are now, and where they could be going if they choose to. :D

dogletnoir, davidKOS, duzie and 2 others like this.
  11. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

here's mine from 2015, played on my crappy resonator - this challenge was a revelation for me... i'd been playing with half steps for a couple of years trying (and failing, as per) to sound like i was in a band that might have an oud player, not knowing it was harmonic minor.. ... if i was willing to post it then, might as well now! i'll be back with a 2019 take later...

12. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    Instinct. You gots that going on. Step out of yourself and listen to that. Its pretty damn good.

I can't wait to hear the 4 years later take. :)

13. Cerb

Cerb Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    I agree with fezz, that is pretty damn good., especially a minute in when you relax and let it go.

montemerrick and fezz parka like this.
  14. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    Well the backers been downloaded four times...;)

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  15. Omar

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain
    Yeaterday, I didn’t touch my guitar. I wasnt in the mood to play or practice. I feel bad when I skip my daily practice routine. Sometimes it extends to several days. :(

16. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

17. Alan L Cole

Alan L Cole Senior Stratmaster

Jan 29, 2018
    NY
    I downloaded it the other day but haven't worked my magic on it yet as #145 got some overdue attention. I should have some time today and tomorrow for both though.

fezz parka likes this.
  18. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Yorkshire
    One blast through, warts, boogers and all.

19. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    I, hoping the heating guys will be out some time tomorrow. Today, there are dust sheets and tools in my music room, and half my gear is in another room, because my room is next to the boiler cupboard, and it contains a little door into the crawl space, which is the only way to reach the pipes behind the boiler.

Until I get my life back, here's the take I did last time: