Join Strat-Talk Today

Strat Talk Improv Challenges Revisited: #111 - Be A Gypsy

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by fezz parka, Feb 3, 2019.

1. fezz parka

fezz parka The Return of the Red Helmet Strat-Talk Supporter

David has this style ( and a bunch of others too) down cold. :D

2. dogletnoir

dogletnoir WBLV Strat-Talk Supporter

i might just have to have another go at this one.

simoncroft and Omar like this.
  3. montemerrick

montemerrick you can't stay the fool Strat-Talk Supporter

here's how this challenge was for me:

4 years ago i had 2 guitars, a resonator and a parlor that i'd mounted a cheap single coil in... resonator was always in open G and the parlor in in open D and only used a slide..... at that point i had a scale i was using that sounded good for what i played (a kind of art noise/chicago train yard mashup ) that was to back up spoken word performances. as i mentioned before, that scale turned out to be harmonic minor, but i didn't know that -i just knew it wasn't pentatonic and it wasn't aeolian. (ionian and aeolian were the only two modes i knew)

challenge 111 was my 3rd or 4th challenge and i liked it because i knew that what i could play might fit in with it somewhat... but i didn't analyze the chords, and could not in real time break down the harmony... nor did i know the tune it was based off, Minor Swing. so whatever i played was just me leaning hard on my own ear, which is okay but without the knowledge, hard to articulate the whats and the wherefores about anything i played. you can hear the result upstream.

4 years later, intellectually, i know all the modes and can describe the harmonic structure. i'm playing in standard tuning almost exclusively these days. i know the fretboard better than ever. but in order to actually play on this now, i had to dig into the chords and play along as another rhythm guitarist a few times in order to get the last take i did. at first it was frustrating since i did no analysis of the tune 4 years ago and played "pretty damn good" apparently (i admit that there are things i like about that 4 year old take), but soon (but not soon enough) the frustration faded, because playing the changes, not soloing just playing the chords as they come around, simple chords, sure, but actually playing them gave me the song in a way that i would never have gotten otherwise...

the point is, i worked harder on this take in 2019 than i did in 2015.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    Dare1, davidKOS, Omar and 2 others like this.
  4. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I just checked this thread as a prelude to attempting my second take in four years. Good Lord, David! I am humbled and I am awed. Assuming I don't simply drift off to sleep in a house that now has heating for the first time in three days, I'll be right back to you. Just not with anything remotely that brilliant!

5. fezz parka

Boom!

Yes. You build the foundation first. That is how you do it. To continue the metaphor: Most players immediately put the roof on first. In other words blindly blow and see what sticks. What kind of structure builds the roof first?

Foundation.
    Load bearing walls.
    Roof.

:D

davidKOS, Omar, montemerrick and 2 others like this.
  6. simoncroft

I'm sorry guys, I'm a man barely awake right now. I wouldn't feed this to a dog, but it's the best I can manage:

mjark, Namelyguitar, davidKOS and 6 others like this.
  7. dogletnoir

One quick take....
    Chicken Wing

8. Omar

Omar Most Inquisitive Junior Jazzer Strat-Talk Supporter

@montemerrick thank you for sharing your inspiring experience :) you’re definitely more experienced than me guitar and music wise. During my short journey with guitar, I learned that anything you practice will be saved into your unconscious memory without you noticing. You’ll retrieve it unconsciously when needed; you’ll be surprised. It took me two sessions (4 hours) to learn “Shallow”, I honestly was surprised how fast I was able to learn a complete song that fast. I even used my own fingering and I’m planning to add my touch (I’d ruin the song for sure lol). Keep on inspiring us my friend :)

I started with the attic lol. I had high hopes, but now I’m back, down to earth. :)

dogletnoir and fezz parka like this.
  9. davidKOS

davidKOS over 48 years playing gigs Strat-Talk Supporter

Thanks for the praise - but in all honesty I have been working on Gypsy jazz style since the 70's. I'm finally just beginning to "getting it".

For real brilliance check out
    Biréli Lagrène

Website www.bireli-lagrene.fr

and

Angelo Debarre
    [​IMG]

Angélo Debarre performing in Paris, April 2013
    Angelo Debarre

10. montemerrick

montemerrick you can't stay the fool Strat-Talk Supporter

nice one E.!!! Bridget?

dogletnoir and davidKOS like this.
  11. dogletnoir

BIRELI et ANGELO, omg!!!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    fezz parka and davidKOS like this.
  12. dogletnoir

Actually Muffy that time... thanks, @montemerrick !
    i was playing around with the chords and arps on my Recording King 'Dirty Thirties' model;
    i might have to try a take with that at some point too.
    :)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    davidKOS and montemerrick like this.
  13. davidKOS

davidKOS over 48 years playing gigs Strat-Talk Supporter

Yeah, these guys are amazing players.

dogletnoir likes this.
  14. simoncroft

There's a lot of Angelo Debarre on YouTube, including this complete concert. Given a lot of time, I could probably copy his mustache. As for the rest...

dogletnoir, Alan L Cole and davidKOS like this.
  15. dogletnoir

That Angelo DeBarre concert is simply wonderful.
    i remember clearly the first time i watched it... being so awestruck.
    It's still awesome, and it just gets better every time i watch it.
    TY for posting it here, @simoncroft!
    :thumb::thumb:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    davidKOS and simoncroft like this.
  16. chrimturn

chrimturn Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Hi five on this track Fezz :thumb:. It’s really a lot of fun and has helped me focus on trying to make statements. Whether it fits the mold, I don’t know. I tried to hold it together as long as I could. Sorry for the crappy audio. The house is asleep.

Perrywinkle Blue....It’s fer me ma.

17. fezz parka

Wonderful. Thematic and fits like a glove. Well done. :)

chrimturn likes this.
  18. simoncroft

I felt that this was such a bravura performance that I'd tweak it a little to compensate for the challenging recording environment. I wouldn't normally interfere with someone elses recording without asking, but I haven't added anything that wasn't already there, just made it a little easier to hear just how well the band is following you. :)

Omar, fezz parka, chrimturn and 3 others like this.
  19. chrimturn

Very kind of you to make that enhancement, Simon. Especially on your own time. I wasn’t expecting such a humbling and supportive gesture. Thank you.

Sorry for the delayed response. It’s been a long day.

20. chrimturn

Long jibber jabber here...

I just want to take a second to say that I woke up this morning still feeling very appreciative of your efforts @simoncroft . Similarly, I myself like lending a helping hand to others. And when doing so, I never expect any praise or gratitude in return.

But when the shoe is on the other foot...and I find myself handicapped by particular situations such as logistical differences, time constraint, or (regarding this matter) technological “know-how”...I have a hard time accepting the fact that I’m not going to have an opportunity to be able to pay it forward. I’m afraid that this seems to qualify as such a case. So with sincere apologies and humble regret, I thank you again for your voluntary engagement. :thumb:

I’m sorry that I have been neglecting my recording arrangements. It does weigh heavily on my conscious and normally keeps me from submitting material in these Challenges. Without proper equipment, it’s really a chore to try and record something decent with just a phone. Anything that seems to have any balance or conformity to it. All kinds of factors come in to play. The Jams are one
    thing, but the Challenges seem to be more polished. And what’s the point if it can’t be heard and is going to be dismissed by the listener on the other end? (When I first read your post, I couldn’t help but think...Man, he’s such a polite, well spoken gentleman...is that his way of saying,“Ok kid, let’s make this the last one...”) :D

FOR EVERYONE
    Let it be known that for all of your individual talents, I view all of you as influences and motivation. I’m just a normal guy. I missed the bus a long time ago and ended up with a normal job like most people. But all I ever wanted to do was write, draw and play my guitar. Songs, poems, short stories, scribble...portraits, cartoons, stills...whatever. I still have notebooks full of material from when I was a kid all through high school.

Over time, I have gradually let it slip away from me. But this place and those who frequent here help me keep those passions alive. Although my audience will never be anything more than the spiders and the dirty socks, I just want to say thanks for helping to keep the fire burning. I owe you all a deep debt of gratitude.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.