Join Strat-Talk Today

Strat Wiring... Not Sure Which One?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by mjc02865, Apr 5, 2014.

1. mjc02865

mjc02865 Strat-Talker

I'm doing a [1-Master Volume/1-Master Tone/5-Way Switch] setup for a new set of '57/'62 Fender pickups I'm installing on my MIM. Searching online I came across 2-schematic diagrams but they are different from each other and I'm not sure which one is correct... Can anyone assist? Thanks, Mike

Attached Files:

2. sjtalon

sjtalon Senior Stratmaster

This would be easy:
    Wiring Diagram

Just like the diagram..................blacks ground & whites to the switch.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  3. stratelespaul

stratelespaul Strat-Talker

4. mjc02865

mjc02865 Strat-Talker

Here's a third one ... different from the other two ... This is confusing.

Attached Files:

5. JohnDH

JohnDH Senior Stratmaster

They all work fine. See one difference in the way the two sides of the switch are offset from each other? The Seymour Duncan, and the third diagram show the more common arrangement. You need to identify on your switch, which are the poles (on the SD, they are the ones joined by a wire across the switch). In all cases that I know, if it is a switch with two sides like these, the poles are lower left and top right, the difference can be the offset with left or right side lower as you view from the back. There are also switches with all lugs in a single line.

Cant go wrong with SD diagrams, but think it through so you understand how it works, it will give you more confidence and help troubleshoot if needed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.