Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Strat with humbuckers

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by crossfire, Sep 15, 2013.

1. crossfire

crossfire Strat-Talker

Dec 8, 2012
    GA
    I know to some its unethical, but could I get some feedback on dual humbucking strats? I have a set of burst buckers I took from a Gibson LP sitting around and wondered how'd they pair up with an alder strat with a maple neck. Not many videos at all on YouTube with a strat and these pickups

2. itzed

itzed Strat-Talker

Nov 28, 2008
    Maryland
    I had bought a pre-wired EMG pickguard with SRO passive humbuckers and I've installed it into two different strat bodies. At first, I really liked it, and I think those pickups are pretty good, close to PAF sounds. In a Fender, with 25.5" scale bolt- on neck, It's going to retain some of the typical fender twang that comes from the hardware, scale, and overall design. But as I got used to it, I started to miss the clear chime of the single coil in the neck position. This has happened twice, and I've had the humbuckers uninstalled for about a year now, and I'm sure I will put them back in something again at some point.

3. blasphemoustrat

blasphemoustrat Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Pa
    I had that exact setup for a while, burstbucker 2/3 setup. It was surprisingly twangy. Didn't sound at all Les Paul like. I've got clips of me playing it if your interested.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Maltoftheearth

Maltoftheearth Strat-Talk Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Ohio
    My favorite "go to" guy is my Dave Murray like parts caster. It has the Paf Anniversary and a super distortion in he bridge. Had a pickup made for the center, as I couldn't find anything hot enough to keep up w/ the HB's. 5 way switch and push pull pots. The neck Paf is one of the best most versatile pickups I've ever played and IMHO, the best pickup DiMarzio makes. You can play anything with it. Love HSH setup. I roll with an Alder body and a neck off an old Waynes World 2 strat. Way!

Attached Files:

6. crossfire

crossfire Strat-Talker

Dec 8, 2012
    GA
    Very interested in hearing it. I really wanna stay traditional SSS but I'm curious as to what it'd be like.

7. rickfrl

rickfrl Strat-O-Master

Mar 17, 2013
    Missouri USA
    Very interesting ........

8. Maltoftheearth

Jul 14, 2013
    Ohio
    +1 on not sounding at all Gibson like. A shocking amount of spank for what they are. With that though, you will never get a pure single coil sound even tapped. It's better when blended with the true single in the middle. Sounds rather stratty. Super fun and versatile guitars.

9. Maltoftheearth

Jul 14, 2013
    Ohio
    I should clarify... The STRAT sound is better with the middle. The best sound on the guitar is the full boar humbuckers. Fun if you're after something different.

10. blasphemoustrat

blasphemoustrat Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Pa
    This is a single channel traynor dark horse, on the one watt setting volume at max with a tube screamer out front...still pretty strat like I think...guitar is set up with two volume two tone and a three way switch...

Pick it forward - YouTube

11. speedy mcfeely

speedy mcfeely Strat-O-Master

Jun 19, 2010
    Chico CA
    I approve. Still kinda stratty, but much more useful for my needs.

2004 AmDlx
    EMG JH "Het set"

Attached Files:

12. crossfire

crossfire Strat-Talker

Dec 8, 2012
    GA
    Good sound. I put a humbucker in the bridge of a strat once 10 yrs ago and it was incredibly bright

13. jymspeed

jymspeed Strat-Talker

Jan 11, 2013
    Manchester UK
    I have just had a Signature Humbucker Strat made by Ged Green of Manchester.
    It has Bare knuckle Stormy Monday Pups. Coil tap on the volume & blend control. No tone control as they are tremendously responsive by just using the volume control. The Schaller Hannes bridge is definitaly different.
    Since these photos were taken the pick guard has now been changed to mint green and fits very close to the bridge.
    The configuration and final sound quality was very "Suck it and see" but the tone of the ash body with ebony board combined with the knuckles really shines through with a shimmering split coil tele strat twang.

Attached Files:

• 017.jpg
      017.jpg
      File size:
      48.8 KB
      Views:
    • 016.jpg
      016.jpg
      File size:
      36.7 KB
      Views: