Join Strat-Talk Today

Stratocaster '79: original finish or re-finished?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by leopardv, Jan 10, 2019.

1. leopardv

leopardv Strat-Talk Member

I don't know, but I read Fender experimented different kinds of finish in the mid/late '70.

Cerb likes this.
  2. leopardv

You are right, but the point is "what would be a fair price for it?". This cannot be defined as "vintage" anymore. The vintage value of these kind of guitars, according to The Vintage Guitar Price Guide 2019, is between 1.650 - 2.200 USD. How much is worth a nitro refinished one?

3. problem-child

problem-child Senior Stratmaster

It is often stated here that Late 70s Fenders are done with Poly. I'm not convinced that is true. I can only speak with authority about my 79 Anniversary, but it is not poly. Well the neck minus the headstock face is, but the body is not what we typically recognize as poly.

I recall when I bought it that I took quite some time to look into this. I found a statement online from some years back. The poster said he worked in the factory at the time discussed. He confirmed that these were not done in poly and explained the process. I don't recall the details. Does that mean anything? Not really.

My 79 however shows finish checking which we know poly doesn't do. It also shows clear wear in the area that you rest your right forearm. Again a display that is not associated with poly.

I could go on, but I'm convinced this is not poly. I will say that it strikes me as being a bit different that any of the other "nitro" guitars I have. Could it be a combination of a poly color coat and a nitro clear coat? Hmmm, could be I guess. If you recall the Anniversary left the factory as a silver guitar. This then turned gold/green over the years (another non-poly indicator.) Where I see forearm wear I see the base coat is again silver. This is legit wear because it was not present, or much less pronounced when I bought it.

The guitar is downstairs and I am upstairs right now but if I recall this is also the area where some of the finish checking is most prominent. One last thing, There is clear evidence of the finish sinking into the wood all over the body, so again. No poly here.

I guess the final question raised by this post is, were the Anniversary guitars finished differently than the other production guitars? I have no idea.

Having said all of this, we know that we define finishes in two different categories around here, poly and nitro. The truth is There have been many dozens of different formulas for each over the years and even today. I guess in the end, if the guitar floats your boat, buy it and play it. I would guess, maybe a 10% reduction in value for a refin if you are convinced that it is one.

IMG_0648-1.jpg

leopardv likes this.
  4. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

It looks like it’s been sanded, where the right arm would be while playing. I have a 79 and it’s poly finished. Where my arm contacts the body, it is just starting to get some haziness on the edge.

If it has its original case, and the frets are good, then maybe you feel comfortable shelling out $1600 bucks. I paid 1800 for mine, but it is a spectacular piece of ash, one piece body, and it was near mint when I got it, and so was the original case.

In the condition that the one you are looking at is in, I would be less inclined to pay 1600 bucks for it. I paid more for mine, but it is in time capsule condition. Also check the fit of the neck pocket. Here is a picture of mine. 1A0FCAF6-52AA-45CA-8DFB-0F12ED2F407A.jpeg 11594460-E27A-4C60-B9A0-FE1739D09EC8.jpeg

leopardv likes this.
  5. Cerb

Cerb Most Honored Senior Member

Here's mine. It has been played hard and has substantial cosmetic wear but is mostly original except for the frets and the volume pot. One pickup has been rewired too. I paid $850 and it's the best guitar I've ever played.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Skickat från min CLT-L29 via Tapatalk

BuddyHollywood, leopardv and 3bolt79 like this.
  6. kurher

kurher Strat-Talker

leopardv and Cerb like this.
  7. Cerb

Cerb Most Honored Senior Member

8. leopardv

Well, thank you all for sharing your knowledge, experience, and suggestions!!:) I appreciated!

I was not aware about this Mark Kendrick state, so thank you Kurher for bringing it up.
    It can be true and it would make perfect sense but, honestly, I do not believe sources that quote words from someone, without reporting where and when the author said that. I made a quick research, and this statement is only reported in guitar "forum" and in the same exact form (perfect copy and paste from 2004). The first trace I could find of this quote is indeed in a web forum of 2004, and it didn't say where these words come from (is it an interview of Kendrick reported in a magazine? a letter? a video? a book? where?). So, I must be skeptical about this. Even though it would make perfect sense to me.

Cerb likes this.
  9. kurher

kurher Strat-Talker

Fair enough. This was written by Mark Kendrick himself here:http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.html?db=2000&topic_number=50113

Also, on Frontline magazines in the description of the CS'69 stratocaster, Fender says: "True to the original, the '69 Strat has a catalyzed undercoat and lacquer topcoat"
    (https://issuu.com/fender/docs/frontline_2006 - page 31).

leopardv likes this.
  10. leopardv

Kurther, you are my hero!
    Thank you so much!!!!!!

11. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I had a 1978 (?) CBS Strat with the black guard on a natural body that was very similar to the ones shown here. Mine was nearly new when I got it, and I'm convinced the body was poly. However, I think the front on the heads was nitro and therefore tended to yellow.

I'd say the finish is original. What looks to be a slightly sanded-down bash on the top horn looks like poly to me. As for the wear where the arm rests, individual body chemistry can lead to some strange results, in my experience.

Nice guitar!

leopardv likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.