Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

stratocaster clones

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by Rokkbert, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Rokkbert

Rokkbert Strat-O-Master

i have a squire affinity strat that i am constantly modding, but would like another strat to mod as well. other than squires what are some other good strat copies. starcaster guitars any good?

2. softwarejanitor

softwarejanitor Most Honored Senior Member

Starcasters are very inconsistent in quality. I've seen some that weren't too bad, similar in fit and finish quality to say, a Squier Affinity... and others that were complete crap, unplayable and some that had issues that wouldn't be easy to fix. You definitely have to look very carefully at one before you buy it. Pay particular attention to intonation, because I've seen some that either the neck pocket wasn't cut correctly or the trem was installed wrong or something because they couldn't be correctly intonated.

3. firebrand

firebrand Senior Stratmaster

Axl makes a great s-style guitar. Formerly known as Johnson, they are made overseas but setup when they reach distribution in the states. I've seen these used for $100 on average and they have matched any Squier I've played in quality.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Strat-Talker

I feel I'm astounding a bit fan boyish but depending on budget id check out ESP/LTD st203 series. For that vintage style guitar get the st203, it´s 3 singlecoild and a vintage trem. For that rocking 80´s balls to the wall metal playing, get the st203fr, amazing neck witch can compare to ibanez in playability, a floyd rose copy that´s supported by floyd rose themselves(that works really really well and holds tune).

Body is alder and neck is maple.

Butt ugly reliced guitars, and half bad pickups. But a great quality base to tweak on. I feel that good setup and pickup swap is all you need to have fender make a run for their money. Except in the finish and status department.

6. Rokkbert

Rokkbert Strat-O-Master

thank you for your comments. i have a squire affinity strat and i absolutely love it! new saddles, solid brass trem block, kluson vintage tuners ect...

7. MrPoppa2

MrPoppa2 Senior Stratmaster

You should hunt down and buy a Squier SE Strat, out of the Strat Pack! They are full size (1 3/4 in.) Fender bodys the look and feel is all Fender on these, and they will take on any electronics mod that you may have in mind. I have purchased 2 SE's at pawn shops, they are always cheap ($50.00) or so, since they came out of a Strat Pack, the pawn shops don't know what price they should be...Ha.Ha...we win! These Strats are made to mod, come in Sun burst, Black and Olympic White , and have 3 ply P/G's They do not say Affinity or Bullet o9n the headstock, they are different than either one.

...........poppa

8. SethStratMan

SethStratMan Senior Stratmaster

I have a SE for sale. Interested? PM me.

9. Rokkbert

Rokkbert Strat-O-Master

not quite yet i think. but it is an interesting prospect

10. Rokkbert

Rokkbert Strat-O-Master

im heading over to vancouver island in a couple days and i know for a fact that there is a pawnshop there that has an arrowhead starcaster. but i've never played it. are they any good?

11. thecableguy

thecableguy Senior Stratmaster

I'm in line to board the ferry to Nanaimo right now. Where's this pawn shop?? Any other good music stores on the island?

12. Rokkbert

Rokkbert Strat-O-Master

the pawn shop is called money max. there's a long and mcquade directly above it too which is clever :). other pawn shops are everywhere in nanimo, but i dont know their names off by heart

13. thecableguy

thecableguy Senior Stratmaster

Cool. Might have to check em out. Still waiting to get on the damn ferry!

14. Rokkbert

Rokkbert Strat-O-Master

haha. yeh those wait lines suck. but not quite as much as those prices. im leaving on wednesday

15. GordonRules24

GordonRules24 Strat-O-Master

I would buy Seth's SE over an arrowhead Starcaster any day.

16. Henrytwang

Henrytwang Strat-O-Master

The SE Squier is a good base for modding with its' full thickness body, HHH routs and excellent neck. Mine is on this forum under "Help what is it?". It cost me £10 which,I think, was a bit of a bargain. I've included a couple of before and after pictures. The original electrics have been replaced with new switch, full sized pots, orange drop tone capacitor, and Tonerider Pure Vintage pickups.

Attached Files:

17. dynosaur

dynosaur Strat-Talk Member

Looking good, how do you like the Toneriders?

18. Henrytwang

Henrytwang Strat-O-Master

Thanx. The Toneriders sound VERY much like Fender Custom Shop 57/62s' but cost half the price. I'm just starting work on another partscaster and have ordered a set of Ironstone "Gold" Strat-style alnico pickups, (UK Ebay), these are really cheap, (£28), but I've read great reviews.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  19. Dr Zombie

Dr Zombie Strat-O-Master

Really looks nice now! I'm sure those pickups sound great. Good job!

20. Rokkbert

Rokkbert Strat-O-Master

don't think i'm gonna buy another strat just yet i think. got too many projects already (making a danelectro from scratch, neck and everything). i may attempt a partscaster project in the future though...

21. softwarejanitor

softwarejanitor Most Honored Senior Member

Full thickness body and good neck yes... HHH routes? Not so much on the SEs I've had apart. They are usually HSH and the neck route is often a little smallish for putting a H in there... so it is safest to assume HSS.

FWIW, HHH normally ends up being basically "bath tub".