Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Stratocaster Tremolo system replacement.

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Gilmore, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Gilmore

Gilmore New Member!

Hi

I have a American Standard Strat from around 2003. The tremolo system is damaged and I need a replacement. Instead of getting the same bridge model I was thinking if the newer bridges for models 2008 and beyond would fit my 2003 guitar without any major modification?

2. BOD2

BOD2 Strat-O-Master

What kind of trem system do you already have (is it a modern "2-post" model or the traditional 6-screw vintage style) ?

And what newer bridges do you have in mind ?

3. thaus

thaus Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

American Standard from that year would have had a 2-point. With a bit of work you could put in a vintage-style or something like a Wilkinson will work..........how is the trem damaged?

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Gilmore

Gilmore New Member!

I have the 2 way system that has been used from 1986 until 2007 (2 screws not 6). On the 2008 models Fender came up with new system that combined the modern and vintage bridges and with new materials. My concern is if the new ones fits my strat body.

My young son got a hold of my guitar 2 years ago and somhow bent the bar so it won´t fit the hole properly, i´ve tried a new bar but something has damaged inside the hole. But even if it´s not damaged I like to try the new bridge. :)

6. BOD2

BOD2 Strat-O-Master

7. Gilmore

Gilmore New Member!

Thanks alot, I will try this Callaham upgrade kit.

I´m reading some reviews and forums about this upgrade and some say this has more effect on tone than a pickup change. Can that be so?

Your instructions are so great and detailed.

What arm did you get, the 64" or Fender length?

8. BOD2

BOD2 Strat-O-Master

I can't really comment on any tonal differences, but there's already a thread discussing that here

http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/tech-talk/22605-changing-trem-block-worth.html

I changed mine more for aesthetic reasons - I've always preferred the look/feel of vintage style saddles and a vintage-look trem arm. I'm happy with the result - I have to say the Callaham gear is very well engineered.

I got the Fender length arm - it's what I'm accustomed to.

9. puertoricanfl15

puertoricanfl15 New Member!

i have a question. i have a 2009 squier deluxe strat that im turning into a american strat, i wanted to know if the american standard strat 2 point bridge will fit where my squier 2 point bridge is? will i have to do some adjusting with studs or will i have to put in the american studs for the bridge to fit?

10. okieactor

okieactor New Member!

11. muso.greg

muso.greg Strat-Talker

I'm fitting a Trem King to my latest partscaster. I had to do a bit more 'woodwork, than it sounded like I was going to need!! :neutral: I'm glad I was working on a bare body! I don't have a router so I used chisels and I'm happy with the result. It seems to work very well. I haven't gigged iot yet so yet to see how it stays in tune when really worked, or if it breaks strings (no problems so far, but really only spent 1/2 hour messing around to make sure it all works)

Attached Files:

12. Tele like it is

Tele like it is Left is right! Strat-Talk Supporter

The simplest fix to the original problem is a replacement block (and arm) from GFS or one of the other makers out there. No wood working required!

It's true that the saddles and block do effect tone and sustain, but not "more than pickups". For my ears, the traditional bent steel saddles are best, though milled solid types are good too; just not the light weight cast metal ones. The full size block is best too, but not the brass ones as they do weird things to the sound.