Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

String gauge question

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by D_Kita, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Stratmaster

Feb 11, 2013
    USA
    Gee, I guess as a professional tech for thirty years and a store owner for a few of those I don't know what I'm talking about, so thanks for setting me straight.
    Lol,

2. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    If heavier strings bow the neck, you tighten the truss rod to correct the issue. After that, a slight raising or lowering of the action might be needed to make the notes ring clear.
    That depends on a few things though, including but not limited to how hard the player plays, type of tone they're after, and other things.

Biddlin likes this.

3. Biddlin

Feb 11, 2013
    USA
    I actually used to do the final setup my pro clients' guitars while they wore them on the strap around their neck. That way I knew what their individual preferences and capacities allowed. My clients ran the gamut as far as styles of music/guitars and setup preferences. Doing it that way I got every setup perfect, every time.

TheDuck likes this.

4. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Seriously? How many people can get a decent slide sound using 9s? How many people can get that Jimmie Vaughan T-Birds bass string sound using 9s? They flop about all over the place - you need 10s or 11s to get that to sound decent.

Now maybe you never aim for either of those sounds - but other people do. If someone's main role in a band is hard hitting rhythm rather than string bending leads, strings heavier than 9s have a distinct advantage.

Whenever somebody says something such as "You can do anything and everything with light strings that you can do with heavier gauges", you can bet your life that they are assuming that everybody in the world plays the same as they do. Which is clearly wrong. Generalisations like that just don't work.

People should use the gauge of strings that feel best for their particular circumstances or style of playing. Not use what some bloke on the internet tells them is "best" or "right".

banjaxed and Dick Blackmore like this.

5. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Billy Gibbons and Joe Walsh come to mind.

Did I not say some people prefer heavier strings?
    No need for a hissy fit, you can disagree, its ok. :confused: :D

Fact is, light strings, heavy strings, its all in the hands.

Biddlin likes this.

6. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Strat-O-Master

Jan 10, 2017
    San Diego
    I thought we already confirmed that tone actually comes from your ass?

7. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I agree - it was your suggestion that anything other than your opinion is "bulls***" that prompted me to post. It wasn't a "hissy fit", as you so rudely put it, it was simply a repudiation of your unfortunate choice of words.

Try being a little less aggressive. ;)

8. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Point made @stratman323 :thumb:

Yea, I reread my post, I see how it could be misunderstood.
    Its all good though, sometimes words on a page dont convey true meaning.

My "aggression" was meant towards the folks who believe anything less than telephone wires for strings isnt worthy of playing, and have no bones about preaching it.

Ummm, thats not tone ...

Biddlin likes this.

9. Biddlin

Feb 11, 2013
    USA
    To be fair, we haven't heard him play.................

TheDuck likes this.

10. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter Vendor Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Stratford,Ontario
    I don't know about that! Maybe this guy has found the ever elusive "brown sound".:D

Biddlin and TheDuck like this.

11. pumpkin

pumpkin Former Member

Aug 5, 2017
    Richmond VA
    ... I switched to .009 to .046 .... they are light trebles and normal light basses.