Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

String gauges

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by marshallb461, Dec 2, 2017.

1. marshallb461

marshallb461 Strat-Talker

Jun 14, 2017
    Texas

2. marshallb461

marshallb461 Strat-Talker

Jun 14, 2017
    Texas

3. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va

4. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter Vendor Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Stratford,Ontario
    8-36 on mine and I've gone down to C# with them.

5. nederemer

nederemer Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2017
    Somerset, Kentucky, USA.
    I usually use 9-42 tuned a half step down. I do though enjoy a nice set of 8s too.

Groovey likes this.

6. rolandson

rolandson Senior Stratmaster

Jul 13, 2015
    Cascadia
    I played D'Addario 11's on Strats for 25 years before arthritis forced me down to 10's. Standard tuning. I much preferred the tone of the 11's.

7. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    I recently migrated to GHS 10-48 and 10.5-48 for long life high E bends and no buzz low E snaps.

I would prefer to stay with 9-46 but I have problems with the 9 surviving for very long. o_O

8. RB522

RB522 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 23, 2017
    Wisconsin
    I bounce between Dunlop 10s or 11s, depending on which guitar we're talking about.

9. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    I bought 10 packs of 9 - 42 for decades but I have been using 8 - 38 for a few years now.

Jimi Lightning, Stark and Groovey like this.

10. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    10's on everything for the last 30 years. It's what I'm used to and comfortable with.

Nate D, xland and Neil.C like this.

11. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2010
    The Midwest
    I'm using a hybrid 10-11 set that I build from 2 sets of D'Addarios. I got the idea from an Eric Johnson interview, and I like the thicker sound that I get from these (as opposed to basic 9s or 10s).

12. spyhawk36

spyhawk36 Strat-Talk Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Michigan
    I’m in my 50’s and I have Arthritis. A few weeks ago I bought some 8-38 gage to make it easier on me. I still haven’t put them on yet.

13. Seth McCormick

Seth McCormick Strat-Talk Member

Nov 30, 2017
    Broussard, Louisiana
    9-42 Ernie Ball :)!

owenmoney likes this.

14. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

11-54 (E.B. Beefy Slinky) or 12-56 (E.B. Not Even Slinky) here- about half the time I am in Eb

15. Guitar0621

Guitar0621 Strat-Talk Member

May 24, 2017
    USA
    I got some of those couple days ago to see if I was man enough. I don't drop tune. I could have done it but the G string was just too much-- but they sounded awesome. Fat tone.

If you're doing the SRV thing you should maybe check out the GHS Nickel Rockers SRV set.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/ghs-nickel-rockers-lo-tune-srv-set

Anyway since the subject is strings, I just want to share generally: When I was googling around yesterday giving up on the Beefy Slinkies I learned about string tension (and balanced sets) from a very old internet post that led me to an understanding of how strings work and why a thicker string can feel (and sometimes is) sloppier than a thinner string-- like, say, the B has less tension than the E, which feels and plays weird. I always used to assume there was something wrong with my setup or my fingers.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/string-tension-charts-73846.html

http://i.imgur.com/rms49Hh.jpg

Even the D'Addario Balanced Tension sets aren't completely balanced. The A and fat E (on the 11 set that I got) are still lower tension than they could be. This set on my strat now plays really nicely but I think I'm going to build a perfectly balanced set with a heavy bottom from singles as a Christmas gift. I'm totally on board with this balanced tension stuff.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    muf magician and dueducs like this.

16. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

Twenty years ago, when I was gigging semi-regularly, I used custom gauge GHS Nickel Rockers. Loved them. Then I got married, bought a house, blah blah blah and kind of dropped away from playing for about a long long time. About three years ago I started to practice again a little more regularly and started looking for over-the-counter string sets and had little luck finding any I liked. So, I started ordering 22p G-strings to sub out in heavier gauge sets... then I found the E.B.'s and they work great for me. I still sub a 22p in the 12-56 set, which is something you could do as well- maybe an 18.

Guitar0621 likes this.

17. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    I like the D'Addario 10-46 on my Fender-scale guitars and 11-49 on my Gretsches.
    My baritone Tele gets the 13-62 of course though. :D

18. muf magician

muf magician Strat-Talker

Jan 10, 2015
    Texas
    10-46 D'Addario Standard XL or DR Pure Blues 10-46, I'm just now trying a set of the latter by suggestion and they're pretty great. A lot can be said for the NYXLs, too.

19. muf magician

muf magician Strat-Talker

Jan 10, 2015
    Texas
    Most definitely, I really appreciate D'Addario's effort to produce a more balanced set but there's room for improvement.. I'm starting to feel like I need to try 11s after these comments, I've been on 10s pretty much always.

dueducs likes this.

20. fender kev

fender kev Strat-Talker

Jan 1, 2010
    uk