Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

String gauges

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by marshallb461, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Neil.C

Neil.C Senior Stratmaster

Mar 3, 2012
    Surrey, England

Same here, plus it's handy to be able to use the same strings for all guitars.

Ebidis likes this.

2. Guitar0621

Guitar0621 Strat-Talk Member

May 24, 2017
    USA
    I like the DRs and they are a real bargain but to me they lack a little bite. Curt Mangan also makes a round core pure nickel that I'd like to try. The best regular pure nickels I've tried are the Gibson re-issues-- really warm and sweet. Haven't done the NYXL or any other 'premium' string yet. Can't make myself spend $12+ on a set-- so far.

I just moved up to 11s recently. I think it's a combination of getting a little stronger and and having learned how to really setup my guitar properly.

That 22 in the Beefy set is a beast in standard tuning. If you check out those tension charts it has 28lbs of tension on it, which is just shy of the same tension as a 59 E string. I think what I'll end up doing is putting together singles that are really close to the beefy set but with a 19 G and a few other minor changes like a 40 and a 56 that perfectly balance the set. I really like this Ddario 11 balanced set even with the slightly softer than perfect 5th and 6th, though. It will hold me for a bit I think.

3. Mr Peabody

Mr Peabody Strat-Talker

Oct 11, 2016
    The Deep South
    13s. If life were meant to be easy, God would've stopped at 9's...

4. Mr Peabody

Mr Peabody Strat-Talker

Oct 11, 2016
    The Deep South
    Oh, forgot to mention -I also play in F# tuning...

5. xland

xland Senior Stratmaster

Oct 5, 2014
    Illinois
    10-46 on all of my guitars.

artgtr likes this.

6. artgtr

artgtr Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 18, 2013
    WURTSBORO, NY
    Dadarrio 10-46 on all of my guitars, acoustics are a little different! Standard tuning.

7. jazzman1021

jazzman1021 Strat-Talk Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Earlville, IL 60518
    11.5 or 12, 15, 20w, 28, 39, 50.

8. Nate D

Nate D Senior Stratmaster

Apr 2, 2016
    Ohio
    I used to run .11’s on my 24.75” scale guitars and some of my Strats with no problem. In fact, I really liked them.

The issue with that now is my limited playing time between my kiddos and career. I also don’t get to play acoustic nearly like I used to and my fingers aren’t quite as strong as they were when I was single and could happily play 3hrs a night. So, now it’s .10’s across the board on my electrics. :)

9. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I don't find the tension difference between the scale lengths to be great enough to warrant a separate string gauge.

Bob the builder and Nate D like this.

10. Nate D

Apr 2, 2016
    Ohio
    I’m not so sure if it’s the scale length or set up differences between vintage style fenders and Gibson Les Pauls and -335’s or a combination of the two.

11. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

Mar 7, 2013
    Harlow, Essex, UK
    10 Slinky for me, years on 9s but when I started out having lessons after a 10 year gap I was told I dug in too much so either change my style, play out of tune, or change to 10s
    Does that mean you were not giggling semi regularly at the same time?

12. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    For me the biggest difference is the scale length, and I seem to be able to get lower action on most Gibson type guitars than on a strat ( think because of fretboard radius). Still, I think many people make a bigger deal out of the scale length thing than it really is. I mean, come on, it's only a 3/4 inch difference over all. Yes there is a difference, but it's not earth shattering.

I guess because I've been playing both for ever, I'm adaptable, so I have no problem at all switching from one to the other.

Nate D likes this.

13. duzie

duzie Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

May 1, 2016
    northwest nj
    Tony is that you?

Ebidis likes this.

14. stormin1155

stormin1155 Strat-Talk Member

Mar 18, 2014
    Iowa
    Mostly 10-46, but I also like 10-52, especially on Gibson scale. Occasionally I'll throw on a set of 11s, only come to the realization once again that making a guitar harder to play doesn't make me a better player. 12s or 13s on my acoustics. There heavier strings do make some of my guitars sound better.

15. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter Vendor Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Stratford,Ontario
    Well, not quite...........:D

Tony's 8s are 8,8,11,18,24,32

Mine are 8,10,12,22,26,36

That's in-between his 8s and the custom 9-42 he uses for C#

16. Nate D

Apr 2, 2016
    Ohio
    It’s not too much of a bother for me, but I guess I found some Fenders that were friendly to .11’s and some that aren’t. The tone was a tad different, but I also played the guitars differently with different gauges in the strings.

You can definitely get a lower action on a Gibson just based on the construction of those guitars. Hence why a lot of people who play Gibson’s like a little relief in their neck and Fenders tend to be set up a tad on the straight side and/or need a shim/micro-tilt on the neck. Pure geometry really.

Ebidis likes this.

17. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member

10 - 52 hybrid sets here.

Nate D likes this.

18. Hairy Bear

Hairy Bear Strat Fumbler Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 30, 2010
    The stolen land of the Iceni
    9 - 42 on everything except my semi which has 10 - 46 with a wound G. I've tried all sorts of makes and gauges over the years but I always end up back with with the old favourites.

19. stratobiker

stratobiker Senior Stratmaster

Sep 16, 2011
    France
    9-42 ...fender pure nickel.
    10-46 on gibson.

20. garyhoos1

garyhoos1 Thinking about joining a pub band. Strat-Talk Supporter

10 gauge bullets..

On every thing apart from my Lester.

The Lester has bullet less 10s diaddoriios or what ever you call them.