Join Strat-Talk Today

Strings don't line up on pole pieces

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Emmanuel X, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Emmanuel X

Emmanuel X New Member!

Just bought a brand new Fender American Standard Strat. It is a fine piece of wood and I don't why I didn't notice this before but the first and sixth strings don't line up with the neck pick up pole pieces. I got it from Guitar Center and I was thinking of taking it back and having them give me one that does line up but after some research I noticed they are almost all like that. What do you think. I will pose this question to Fender and see what they say. Other than that the guitar is really nice in in both tone and feel. Anyway I was just wondering what other players thoughts are on this.

2. MrPoppa2

MrPoppa2 Senior Stratmaster

A lot of guitars are like that, I wouldnt worry, seems to make no difference, I think the poles are close enough to pick up the string vibration. .........poppa

3. johnnyha

johnnyha Senior Stratmaster

No worries. The width between the strings gets wider the closer they get to the bridge so it's unlikely that all the pole pieces of all three pups would line up exactly with the strings. My 2008 American Deluxe the neck pup outboard poles are almost completely outside the E strings, on a brand new set of CS69s.

Congrats on your new guitar!

4. Emmanuel X

Emmanuel X New Member!

Thanks for the comments and you are right it doesn't make much difference and it sure plays nice. For years I played everything but so this is my first one since I always wanted one and why I waited so long I don't know. My plan now is to buy another one with the rosewood fretboard. Till then

5. normj

normj Strat-O-Master

Hello there,

I will respectfully disagree with the others. I believe the strings should be aligned over the center of the poles for best sound. On a new Fender American Standard, the strings should be pretty much centered. If not, there is a problem with that guitar. I would definitely return it for one that the strings to line up properly. Not all new Fender Am Stds have that problem.

Later,
    Norm

6. johnnyha

Norm - respectfully - I agree with yer theory of "perfect centering" but - assuming a perfectly centered neck and pups - do they have available pups where the neck poles are closer together than the bridge poles, to account for the difference in string width? I'm genuinely curious since I did not know this was an option but it kinda makes sense.

However for the OP, I have read a lotta threads now and the general consensus is that the factory pups are similar width so the spacing will be slightly off due to the change in string width, more important is that everything is centered but generally you will be OK. Again, please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  7. Menthu

Menthu Strat-O-Master

What are those things sticking up? They are all a magnet extension connected together within a coil around them. Do they really need to be directly over one string..... Nope . Do they have to be near a sting... Yes. Do you think they have been designed that way for uniform amplitude for each string; you bet maybe. Do you think it matters where you have to take the axe back; not likely

The vibrating stings produce a voltage as they cut through the magnetic field produced by the permeant magnet. Think of it as one big magnetic field extending the length and beyond the length of the pickups. Those things that stick up increase the voltage output for a given string frequency range in the area it's in. The length of these taps are pre designed into the pickup unlike the Gibson that are adjustable.

My bridge and middle pickup are close to the center but the neck pickup is not centered on the e strings. Toni Iomi uses 10 string pickups on his SG and are not mostly alighted on the strings.

8. Menthu

Menthu Strat-O-Master

What makes me disappointed is the lettering on on my Deluxe pickups to denote N3 Fender noiseless pickups rubbed off. So I took the pick and rubbed the other lettering off the other pickups.

9. johnnyha

I changed mine to "noisy" CS69s with an miniHB bridge and I am happy. My pole pieces on the neck pup are almost outside the strings and the tone is wonderful. Ce la vie.

10. MrPoppa2

MrPoppa2 Senior Stratmaster

On a Telecaster, the strings are adjustable for width, but not any Strat Ive ever seen. I have got planet senority...so I am right, I think?

What did I come to the kitchen for?? .......poppa

Hash McBrown likes this.
  11. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Norm,

With all due respect, I'm afraid you're wrong. Go somewhere where you can examine a dozen or so Strats of various types. You'll find this issue on the majority of Strats. I was going to say "all Strats", but this is the internet.....

12. Dynomark

Dynomark Strat-Talker

Since all three pickups have the same spacing, and the strings get wider towards the bridge, then they are never going to be perfectly aligned over all of them at the same time. Remember also that an American Standard has narrower string spacing than a vintage reissue for example, yet the pole pieces are the same spacing regardless, so it's going to be a bit more noticeable. At the end of the day, it really doesn't make much difference.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  13. Emmanuel X

Emmanuel X New Member!

Thanks for all the comments. Everything every one has said makes sense. This guitar was ordered by GC for me and it was ready to play right out of the box and I noticed the pole pieces after I got home. I compared a few after that and they all seemed to have the same problem. I saw pictures of some that were lined up so they are out there. I was just wondering and yes at the end of the day it is one fine sounding and playing guitar and it is 4 below here in Michigan so it is a good day to stay in and play all day. That will keep me nice and warm.

Mansonienne likes this.
  14. Craig Howard

Craig Howard Strat-O-Master

What y'all talking about?

I cant find anything made of string on any of my strats!

There was some string that held on some labels when I first got them but I cut that off. Didnt line up with anything anyway.

Should I have not done that?

15. rob12770

rob12770 Strat-Talker

-----------------------------------------------------

Attached Files:

Rialas likes this.
  16. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 A hapless Yeoman.............. Strat-Talk Supporter

That's just the way it is on most guitars, as the string spacing narrows as you move toward the nut, while all three pickups are generally a constant width. I've never seen that it matters much. My Affinity strat with the narrow nut has its e strings almost inside the necks outer poles and it picks them up just fine, no weakening of string volume vs the other pickups. My Barracuda strat copy, which has a much wider neck, lines up perfectly over all three.

You can get some pickup sets with different spacings to account for this, and a few guitars are built that way, but not most.

17. stratman in va

stratman in va Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

To me it seems that there is enough magnetic field out beyond the poles of the pickup that the sound should not be affected. I have a Tele copy in which the high E misses the pole but she sounds OK to my ears.

Strats are made in such a way that I don't think all the strings and poles can be aligned perfectly. The 3 pickups are the same size, and yet one is angled, and its the one under the widest spacing of the strings. The neck pickup sits at the most narrow string spacing, and is aligned differently, with the pickup perpendicular to the strings.

18. bbarott

bbarott Most Honored Senior Member

Yes, and in addition because the neck pickup in a strat is slanted and not 90 degrees with respect to the strings, the effective lateral distance between pole pieces on the bridge pickup is less than the other two pickups. Add to this the fact that the distance between the strings is largest at the bridge and diminishes toward the center and neck pickups and there simply isn't any way the strings will align over all pickups in the same way.

19. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

I assure you the strings not being centered directly over your pole pieces is purely a cosmetic issue. The magnetic field above each pole piece extends beyond the distance that your string is off-centered and will still "pick-up" any movement of the string quite easily. Think about it, EVH put a humbucker under the strings on his Frankenstrat well before pickup manufacturers came up with the idea of F-spaced pickups for FR bridges.

I'd be more concerned about your strings being correctly spaced on your guitar's nut and fretboard than over the pole pieces.

20. Underpants

Underpants Strat-Talk Member

If it was essential that the pick up poles were directly under each string then wouldn't the volume drop off as you bent a string?

As the vibrating string cuts through the magnetic field of the pole piece under that string does it also get picked up, to a much lesser extent, by the adjacent pole pieces?

Larry J likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.