Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Strings on your flat top acoustics?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Soundboard' started by oatsoda, Apr 17, 2017.

1. henderman

henderman Senior Stratmaster

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    Tried many kinds of strings and price points but the same Nano Web Elixers that came on it sound great to me.

I wish I knew what they were so I could get the strings before they get coated and try them naked.

2. moullineaux

moullineaux Strat-O-Master

Jul 11, 2009
    ATLANTA, GA
    Currently digging Rotosound Jumbos

3. Ecosse

Ecosse Strat-Talk Member

Jul 28, 2017
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I tried these on a whim recently and they've been my favorite feeling and sounding acoustic strings I've tried over the years. They're just RIGHT. I have no idea how long they'll last but they're great so far. My other favorites are phosphor bronze Nano web elixer, and phosphor bronze Martins.

4. Paully

Paully Strat-O-Master

Oct 16, 2014
    Maine, USA

5. Rich b in tempe

Rich b in tempe Strat-Talk Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Tempe az
    From what i was told- nano elixers are DaDario strings, but it seems nano coated elixers are the best!! I spent a year trying different(every brand i could find), on my Larrivee LV-3,, nano elixers in custom lite were unbeatable, after their break in period!!!

6. joebloggs

joebloggs Strat-Talk Member

Jun 18, 2017
    Canada
    Maybe I am in the minority, but I have tried the nano web Elixirs, and prefer the Gibson Masterbuilt premium PBs. I also use Gibson vintage reissue on my electric. If it ain't broke...

7. StillAlive&Well

StillAlive&Well Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 4, 2014
    Frog, Texas
    I use these EBs too.

8. Vindibona1

Vindibona1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Interesting... For me the Rotosounds have the record for the shortest time living on one of my guitars.... About an hour. I can see how someone might like them on guitars that just need them to help them along. But they literally sucked the mojo out of my guitar (I forgot which one I put them on- Martin or Epi, I think).

My Martin D35 really, really sounds great with DR Sunbeam 12's. Not the 13's, but the 12's. I've tried them on all my other acoustics and only the Sunbeams and D35 are a match in my stable.

However, I've found a brand of string that I have no idea what possessed me to try them: Straight Up Strings. The concept is that they are designed around tension rather than tension being a byproduct of gauge. So far I've tried them on my Taylor 614ce and 814ceDLX and my Epi. The just is still out on the Epi and it may just like Martin strings. But the Taylors? I have tried every reasonable gauge of Elixir on both the 614 and 814. The 614 showed a significant improvement in sound with the SUS strings. The improvement in the 814 was as life changing as when I discovered how the Sunbeams sounded on my D35. Read on...

I got my 814ceDLX about 5 weeks ago. I didn't understand how the Adirondack bracing would make this guitar sound different than the standard 814ce. I expected the same bass boom as I heard with the standard 814, but this guitar was more evenly balanced. I still wanted to hear that lower fundamental note supporting the rest of the chords. At first I was disappointed. I came *very* close to sending it back. I had violated Vindibona's 2nd law of guitar purchasing: I bought sight unseen. The guitar came with 3 month old strings so I changed them right away. The Elixir nano 12's just felt weak. I tried HD lights 13-53 and that wasn't it. I tried 12-56 and that wasn't it either. I went to 13-56, better, but missing something. Based on the results of the SUS strings on my 614 I thought that perhaps the SUS HEAVY TENSION would work on the 814. Better, but not quite there...Then I switched down to MEDIUM TENSION (12's). Ahhhh. Surprisingly, the guitar didn't lose any projection and in fact the bass projected just as I wanted it to when I had the brain fart to buy the guitar (not understanding the difference between the 814ce and 814ceDLX in how the sound would be different). The Straight Up Strings Medium Tension actually helped me to bond with this guitar. The tension is similar to the Sunbeams. The sound is balanced and robust at the same time. And...they're half the price of Elixir's.

FYI I am not connected to Straight Up Strings in any way. I just really really like them for certain guitars. If you haven't tried them and like to test strings, I'd put these at the top of the list with the Sunbeams.

moullineaux likes this.

9. Hugh

Hugh Needs Mo Motown Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 26, 2009
    Louisville (KY)
    I have been using these for the last 3 years.

81bXlWA2c6L._SY355_.jpg

The tone is phenomenal.
    I do tune a half step down.

10. stratman in va

stratman in va Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 27, 2012
    Virginia
    I have used the D'addario EJ16 strings ( high e = 12) for a couple years. In the past, have used Ernie Ball Earthwood. I like DR Rares, have used them some, but they are getting hard to find locally. I like to get things locally when I can to keep our local guys open.

I got a set of the EB Earthwood light ( 11s ) the other day for my next string change. I want to take it a little easier on the fingers, and the guitar neck too!!

I used to use the EB Rock and Blues set with the plain 3rd a LOT when I was playing more electric guitar several years ago. They are quite good strings. I think I broke them more often then than I do now, but might have been more bending and a rough technique back in those days.

11. Guitaraxe

Guitaraxe Strat-O-Master

Aug 22, 2015
    States

12. Hairy Bear

Hairy Bear Strat Fumbler Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 30, 2010
    The stolen land of the Iceni
    EB Earthwood PB medium lights on my old Eko Ranger.

13. Vindibona1

Vindibona1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

My earlier reply must have timed out for editing, so I guess I'm left replying to myself :) ...

EDIT:
    I played my first gig last night with the SUS 12's on the 814. What I'm noticing now is that the whole body of the guitar vibrates against my body and in my hands. I hadn't felt that before in the 5 weeks I've owned it. It certainly didn't happen with any of 5 sets of Elixir strings I had on it (recommended by Taylor as you know). It appears that the right set of strings will set off sympathetic vibrations (and also create resultant harmonics) in the instrument that don't happen when the strings are even just a bit "off". I'm noticing that now too with my Martin and Sunbeam 12's. And while the heavier gauge of strings theoretically is supposed to aid in projection, in both these cases I'm finding the opposite to be true. The lighter gauge in both brands on their respective guitars project better because of the sympathetic resonance as opposed to the pure muscle of the 13's (medium) that drive the guitar top.... I this is an something important that I discovered for myself.

Also important to note: The SUS strings aren't cutting it on my Epiphone. So far it's Martin Marquis 12's for that guitar. Bottom line- Just because someone loves a particular string doesn't mean you'll love it on your guitar too.... but you might, so when the time comes- try them.