Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Suggestions for superstrat.

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by AcesHigh, Jul 30, 2012.

1. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Strat-Talker

May 7, 2012
    Sweden
    I happen to have a 25th anniversary fluorescent pink(couldn't resist the craziness) Ibanez Rg(rg2xxv) its a great guitar but the pickups are NOT for me.

Its the infinity pickups that they use on most(all?) middle price models.

I find the "bland" sounding. They are hot enough to kick my amp into a hard overdrive but they lack "definition" so to speak.

What kind of pickups would you recommend(both neck and bridge)?

For the bridge i look for something thats dirty, but doesn't get to muddy when using distortion. I like to riff around a lot as opposed to just do power chords and i want those notes to really break through the effects and grab you by the balls. Id prefer a pickup thats a little bit trebly(but not harsh) sounding so it will cut trough a mix. Doesn't have to be a high output pickup.

For the neck, something that work´s for nice cleans and some dirty low gain blus type of thing. But not to boomy/bassy/muddy.

This axe is my workhorse, its going to see everything from 80´s metal(everything from hair metal to priest) to blues and clean ballads. Wich is what i always tend to end up playing wether i like it or not.

Im not being these pickups today, in fact it may take months before i pull the trigger. It all depends on how soon my strat is finished and how the economy is looking. But id like to know what I'm saving my bucks for, and what I'm going to scan the internet for good deals on.

2. juanjosebh

juanjosebh Senior Stratmaster

Mar 8, 2012
    Veracruz Mexico
    It's HSH? For the bridge I recommend a superdistortion, and for the neck I truly have no idea :S

3. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Strat-Talker

May 7, 2012
    Sweden
    Yeah its HSH but i didn't mention the single coil.

I want to add that i maybe a nice single coil could be recommended as well.

Something that will work with a coil split bridge and ned pickup.

4. slowesthand

slowesthand Senior Stratmaster

Oct 23, 2011
    NY

5. Richard Irons

Richard Irons Strat-Talk Member

Jul 20, 2012
    London UK
    From what you've said, I'd recommend (all SD):

JB in the bridge - nasty and growly but with definition and bite. Fits your description exactly.

59 in the neck - perfect for bluesy stuff and will go as far as your amp will take it.

And for the middle single coil - maybe a nice Alnico II Pro for Strat (it's a really sweet sounding all-rounder), or an SSL-1 if you wanted a true vintage Strat sound (which you probably don't).

Of course, other manufacturers make near equivalents of all these pickups, but these are the ones I know about.

6. captcoolaid

captcoolaid Strat-Talker

Oct 14, 2009
    California.
    How hot you wanna go. The JB is nice but benefits from an Ai8 mod. Yeah I know they say the Custom 8 is supposed to take care of that. Unfortunately the JB in most cases is a 1 trick pony, the 59 because of body style will not stand out,this is a mahogany guitar I think. If you are looking at off the shelf stuff Duncan custom or an invader would be cool for the bridge. If you can find a mid 80s Super d that would be stellar as well.

As far as the neck goes just about anything in a good A2 or A5 will fit the bill. For the middle what is it you are shooting for there. Quack or smooth. You might try a nice A2 middle like mentioned before, or for a bit more quack an 45 around 7.8k or so.

What are you looking to spend, that can make a diff as well.

7. Johnny V

Johnny V Senior Stratmaster

Apr 18, 2011
    Nashville
    Those have a perverse appeal to me, too. Is that the one with the black pups? If so, I can't in good conscious recommend you replace them with anything but some bright neon green, pink, or purple Dimarzios. Doesn't matter what kind. Because really, at that point will it even matter what they sound like? No. No it will not. [​IMG]

But, really, a super distortion bridge and something mellower like an Air Classic or a PAF 36th in the neck should give a pretty wide range of tones. Seriously though... neon.

8. Alan0354

Alan0354 Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    US
    Go to Jemsite, it's an Ibanez forum. This forum is not big on humbuckers.

9. abracadabra

abracadabra stationcalling? Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 5, 2009
    UK
    just searching the jemsite will get you a million ideas, probably too many! :mrgreen:

when I modded my RG I went for the Tone Zone, True Velvet and Air Norton, which is exactly what Ibanez puts in the 3550/3570 and a lot of other of the upper end of their range.

so you can go to a shop and try one of those out to see if you like the pups. they work great for me.

(and I agree on the stock pups. I had the DiM/IBZ pups and the news ones I put in sound much better)

10. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Strat-Talker

May 7, 2012
    Sweden
    Okay its NOT a mahogany body like someone suggested. It´s basswood.

I kind of want a stratty quack if possible, so the middle pup could be something that sorts that out good "enough".

I dont want to go jemsite because just by the quick results I've found as a lurker. I only see Vai, Gilbert, Satriani, dimarzio fanboys who would suggest the guitar explodes if its not equipped with dimarzio´s.

Im not against dimarzio´s but i feel i want a little less colored opinion from a forum with a more objective view on the matter.

11. Richard Irons

Richard Irons Strat-Talk Member

Jul 20, 2012
    London UK
    Right, Alnico II Pro or SSL-1 are definitely right for your middle position then - set it low down to the pickguard and get a NON-rwrp (ie a neck pickup) one. Then use an auto split 5-way to split to the slug coil on the two outer HBs in positions two and four, and you'll have hum cancelling.

I still really recommend the JB in the bridge and the 59 in the neck (I have a 59 in the neck of a tele). You could order an Alnico 8 magnet at the same time, and try the JB for a while. If you think it's bad then swap the mag, but I use a JB in the bridge of a superstrat, with the standard mag in it, and I have an Alnico 8 magnet sitting here, and I have no intention of doing the swap. It's great.

Seymour Duncan likes this.

12. Doglas Vaccaro

Doglas Vaccaro New Member!

Jan 1, 2018
    Brazil
    JEM JEM JEM kkk
    And customize...

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      914.4 KB