Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Suhr V60LP - Fake?

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by JoshPhase90Wah, Nov 11, 2017.

1. JoshPhase90Wah

JoshPhase90Wah Strat-Talker

Sep 11, 2011
    KENT
    Hi Guys,

I just got this V60LP Suhr pickup on eBay, and I don't think it is a Suhr, just need your help identifying what it really is.

Many thanks for all your help.

Attached Files:

2. Antigua

Antigua Senior Stratmaster

Feb 28, 2014
    in between
    The base plate looks like it was added after the fact. It should say "SurhV60LP" under the plate if it's legit. It looks legitimate enough otherwise.

Here is some detailed info I collected about this pickup http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/suhr-v60lp-low-peak-analysis-and-review.401784/ They are surprisingly dark, nasal sounding pickups, due to a higher Q factor and "low resonant peak" as the name says. You can get this same tone by putting capacitors in parallel with any other Strat pickup with an inductance in the area of 2.5 henries (most Strat pickups wound to 6.0k ohms), and you can get a higher Q factor by using a 500k ohm tone pot. Given that you can achieve these things with $15 in parts, and even when you do it sounds bad, to my ear, I think the V60LP is a waste of money.

As for how they do what they do, they might be wound with 41AWG instead of the usual 42AWG, I got very similar electrical results from a test pickup I wound with the thicker gauge of wire http://www.tdpri.com/threads/electrical-differences-by-wire-gauge-a-practical-demonstration.729030/ , higher Q factor, but also higher capacitance.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017

3. JoshPhase90Wah

JoshPhase90Wah Strat-Talker

Sep 11, 2011
    KENT
    Hi Antigua! Thanks for all your help. I've just removed the baseplate and you are right it is indeed a Suhr! The other images of the Suhr pickups have the white and black wires the other way around causing some of my confusion.

Thanks for all your help, can't wait to get this installed!