Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Summer Project Idea - Clapton 25dB Mid Boost in a Pedal

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by Guitarmageddon, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-A-Holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Just thought up this idea....now I know, there was a Claptone by Cara pedal which used the Fender mid boost Clapton kit (part #0057577000), but they are no longer in production...and their price of $200-250 was ridiculous too....

So I thought to myself....okay....I can take the Clapton mid boost kit, pots and board and 9V battery etc and put them in a pedal housing.....and do it all for less than $100.....

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/fender-pre-amp-mid-boost-kit-25-db

There are however things I don't know how to do....

1 - How to wire the pedal to be true bypass when in 'off' mode

2 - how to wire in an LED that shows when the pedal is 'on'

3 - should I wire in the option to use it with a 9V power supply?

Now, we have to consider 'are these even necessary?' - conceivably you could mount the entire kit in a pedal housing, battery, pots, capacitor, resistor, etc WITHOUT even using an on/off switch, or LED, or power supply input.....

I'm hoping people can weigh in....because the 'KISS' principle tells me I should be able to do this without the need for all 3 of those 'what-ifs'....however is it going to be very useful in that case? Honestly I'm one of those set-it-and-forget-it kind of players when I go to open mic or gig with bands I've been in. What I mean by that is I tend to use one guitar (to avoid changes in volume between pickup changes etc), and also only one sound - I set it so there's a bit of dirt when the volume on the guitar is on full, then I roll it back to 6-7 for cleans.....

There's also the consideration 'does the mid boost kit play well with regular non-noiseless single coils?' - My gut and research told me previously that the answer was NO but some people on this forum have told me it works fine without much added noise....

So recommendations would be great.....I used to own a Clapton Artist Series Strat and LOVED the sound (Fender Vintage Noiseless version), but didn't like the super small frets....

Lastly....this could be one of the few documented experiments where you use the Fender mid boost kit on guitar with P90s, or humbuckers etc. I could conceivably use it on an Epiphone Les Paul Standard for example....

So there's a lot to consider, the kit right now is about $56 and free shipping, and I can get an aluminum housing shipped for about $15-20.

2. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    Guitarmageddon likes this.

3. steve26

steve26 Strat-Talker

Nov 5, 2012
    Lake Forest, Ca
    I wired both a stomp box and a Strat with a true bypass several years ago. I think I may have wired the box up for an outside power source also...(don't remember for sure if I did or just thought about it, I haven't used it in a couple years.) I didn't do the light. I won't be back home for a couple days but if no one else responds, I'll dig it out and open it up and take pictures, I might even
    still have the wiring diagram I drew up. I do remember it wasn't hard to figure it out and it worked well.

4. steve26

steve26 Strat-Talker

Nov 5, 2012
    Lake Forest, Ca
    Sorry, I can't be much help. I opened up the box, my wiring is very messy and the only diagram I could find was for the mid boost in guitar.

The "guitar in" is on the left and the out to amp is on the right. IMG_0671.JPG
    No outside power source or LED.
    It does work well even though wiring is sloppy. The TBX location is reversed because that's the way I installed the same system in my guitar to clear the pc board.
    IMG_0676.JPG

Again, sorry, probably not much help.

The-Kid likes this.

5. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Great idea...make brand that...

Sell um.

Good stuff.

Highly innovative. Not reinventing the wheel but still lots of gusto and will power.

This is a great idea.

6. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Totally brand and sell.

Nice work.

Makeum

Pair up with OP and plan a lucrative buinsess venture.

Call it the ClapTone. Keep the name send me a free pedal :D

7. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    Here's how to wire true bypass with an indicator
    1523973004124.jpg

8. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    To me, one advantage of Claptons on board mid boost is that you can dial varying amounts of boost by hand.

With a footswitch, it will be preset unless you add an expression pedal. This could make it prohibitively expensive.

I think control by pedal IS better than hand when youre trying to play.

Guitarmageddon and Mesaman like this.