Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Switch for MIJ Greco Strat

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by aixs, Jan 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. aixs

aixs Strat-Talk Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Stockholm, Sweden
    A couple of months ago I bought a 1978 Greco SE500 (http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/greco-se-1978-pickup-identification.453410/)

I have played it a lot and I find it is a good-sounding, very playable guitar.

Now I am thinking of tinkering with it a little :) It has the original (I think) 3-way switch with no "in-between" positions. I'm thinking of swapping this to a 5-way switch. But I notice that the original switch on the Greco is not the same dimensions as the standard switches of today, the Greco switch is noticably shorter.

Do any of you knowledgeable people on this board know if it possible to buy a switch with the original Greco measures - or would changing the switch require making new holes in the pickguard?

2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Would the DM-50 fit? The screws are at 41mm centres.

3. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    A clearer pic of the switch would help, I can't really see it. But from what I can see, it looks like the switches Tokai used in the 1970s/1980s. But these switches had a sort of "half way" detent for positions 2 & 4. I love them.

But Grecos were made by Fujigen weren't they? Not Tokai? But I suppose they might have used the same source for parts - Gotoh, perhaps?

If I knew of a decent source for those old Tokai switches, I would buy a few & fit them to some Fenders - and yes they do fit as I have an old Tokai switch in my No. 1 AVRI.

4. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Some of the Japanese three way switches looked like a DM30 but were 5mm less between screw centres.

5. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Senior Stratmaster

Feb 11, 2010
    Valley o Sun
    Man, I'm impressed....you dudes know your stuff...

Keep up the great work on helping aixs....

6. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    ......about obscure Japanese stuff that nobody else cares about, you mean?

Yup! :D

7. aixs

aixs Strat-Talk Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks for all the info. This is really the best place I have found for finding knowledge of old MIJ guitars! :)

I measured the switch but seems to have misplaced the note where I wrote it down.. Will have to remove the pickguard and re-measure and take some new pictures. Will get back with added info this weekend. Meanwhile I have what I think is a standard CTS 5-way switch. That measures around 41 mm between the mounting screws and that is definitely too big for my Greco.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

8. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    This shows the problem. The slot for the blade switch is the same length, but note the screw positions.

switches.png

aixs likes this.

9. aixs

aixs Strat-Talk Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thrup'ny bits, that picture on the right looks exactly like my MIJ Greco! I'm at home now and have measured the length between the center of the screws. It is somewhere between 30-31 mm (and the size of the slot is same as on the longer switch I already have). Given this - any ideas on where I could obtain a new 5-way switch with these measures?

10. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    I've never found one. I replaced the scratchplate and fitted the longer switch a long time ago. Over the years the original scratchplate and switch have gone missing, which is why I couldn't be accurate on the measurement.

My guitar wasn't a Greco and none of them were considered collectable back then.

aixs likes this.

11. Voidoid56

Voidoid56 Strat-Talker

Mar 15, 2012
    Göteborg, Sweden
    I had the same problem with my '79 SE-800 just recently: a three-way with no usable 2 and 4 positions whatsoever, and the shorter screw distance (something like 32 mm, if I remember correctly). It has a beautifully aged pickguard that I didn't want to replace.

But lo and behold I actually managed to find a five-way replacement, used, in the "Parts" section on Yahoo Japan Auctions. According to the seller, it came out of some mid-80's Aria Pro II hair metal Stratoid. Same dimension, even the same manufacturer, and an easy swap. Think I paid about 1,5k yen and got two pots in the bargain...

I also have a Greco SE (a non-standard but original '78 with a bound fretboard, probably some store special) with a short five-way factory-installed. They seem to appear at random in late-70's guitars, both the three and five-way version. I also have a Kawai-made mid-70's John Bennett with a short three-way.

So, there is hope.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

12. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    The chances of finding one are pretty slim and the switch will be going on 40 years old, but yes, that seems to be the only option.

13. Voidoid56

Voidoid56 Strat-Talker

Mar 15, 2012
    Göteborg, Sweden
    Yeah, and then you have the proxy service's iffy google translations on top of that. But the difference in screw spacing is actually pretty plainly visible if the pics are good enough. There are unbelievable amounts of junk for sale on there, so the chances might actually be better than you'd imagine.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.