Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Tele choices

Discussion in 'Telecaster/Esquire Forum' started by Strat Jacket, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Senior Stratmaster

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    I started a thread in the wrong forum (oops) that some of you Tele players/owners might have not seen:

http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/kinda-jonesing-for-a-tele.474044/

Here's the thing; this jones is getting serious now. I've been doing some online shopping and am planning a trip to the local guitar store to try out a few. Before I do that, I have a few questions for the Tele experts here.
    Bear in mind I don't gig, play mostly at home, and for my own enjoyment, but I appreciate decent quality. With this in mind I would appreciate your honest answers to the following questions...

a) Are the Squier Teles complete junk, i.e. would they be OK for home playing or better to put that couple-hundred toward a better quality instrument?

b) Same question for the G&L ASAT Tele

c) Is there a Fender MIM version available for under 500 bucks? I really like my MIM Strat and am quite satisfied with the quality compared to an AS for the difference in price?

d) Is the best way to go to build a Warmoth or equivalent using the choice components I can choose? I've explored this a bit and it looks like I would end up totaling at around some of the cheaper American Fender models, the difference being I don't have to buy everything all at once, and the downside being I can't play it until it's finished.

Bottom line; if the Squiers or G&Ls are decent, it would probably be best to grab one. If they are garbage and I'd be wasting my money, I'd rather not do that. I realize everyone has a different opinion but if you've had either a very good or very bad experience either way, I'd like to hear about it before I drop the dime.
    Thanks in advance.

Taurus likes this.

2. john lavelle

john lavelle Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 25, 2012
    North Carolina
    Keith268, irie, Nick-O and 1 other person like this.

3. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    The Squier classic vibe line are very nice Teles. The G&L Tributes are great as well. Everything on the MIM tele is very good but my only reason I would not own one is the Std does not come with a 3 saddle bridge like a Tele should IMO. Now the Baja is an excellent MIM Tele as is the Special Run Ash bodied ones but that one has the reversed control panel so the selector switch is kind of far away. I would look at the Baja if you like big fat necks, Classic Vibe if you want to dip your toes in the Tele pond without spending too much or an ASAT Tribute if you want to go in between the cost of the CV or Baja.

Taurus, xland, Omar and 2 others like this.

4. rich815

rich815 Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

I'd grab this. Great deal. However based on your posting I'd think you'll drive yourself nuts wondering if you should have gotten a different one. You might not be ready to decide. Or buy it and see, sell later and try another. Best would be get this one, stop researching and just play. Then a couple years from now get something different if your evolution takes you to a different needed direction.

5. Grux

Grux Strat-Talker

May 17, 2018
    Clarksville, TN
    Classic Vibe tele's are FAAAARR away from complete junk! The switch and Input jack and jackplate are the only thing I'd recommend replacing later.

irie and LunarSlingShot like this.

6. Strat Jacket

May 11, 2018
    Illinois

7. radd

radd Strat-O-Master

Jun 2, 2016
    Santa cruz
    The internet is a blessing and a curse regarding guitar shopping. Lots of info and choices but it is all meaningless with out playing the guitar.

I did not want a Tele, was not in the market for one and I was just killing time waiting for the guitar shop guy to find the case in the back of the store for the Gibson 335 I was buying and I pulled a FSR MIM Tele off the wall and fell in love. I came back a year later and bought that Tele. The 335 has since been sold, the Tele will never go.

8. Strat Jacket

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    I agree...this is why I want to check out the LGS and actually play a few. I know I can get those guys to deal, probably not as much as GC or MF will go...but at least I know if I actually like the thing. I can always buy it from an online source later.
    I've played a lot of guitars in my day but only one Tele (my brother's AS) and it sets the bar pretty high.

9. bigtuna

bigtuna Strat-Talk Member

Dec 5, 2017
    s.w. mo
    Speakin of jonesen. This classic vibe has tv Jones pickups top and bottom. Yes far far away from junk. Plays amazing and has helluva good tones.some people call her vintage blonde. I call her dirty blonde. 20180610_205618.jpg 20180610_210140.jpg

Nadnitram, Omar, Grux and 1 other person like this.

10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Strat-Talker

Dec 16, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Squier Teles are quite good and compare well with MIM models although the feature sets vary. The CV and VM lines are really good. Standards are good but a little different from the typical Tele. Affinity is good but tend to have more setup issues and QC misses. Mods are easy to do to any of them, much easier than on Strats.

You should be able to find a used MIM in the under $500 range but new would be unlikely outside a very great sale. $499 (aka $500) is the starting price on them.

Strat Jacket likes this.

11. Strat Jacket

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    What color is that beautiful Strat next to the Tele?

12. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

Buy a straight non-modified MIM Tele used. The three saddle mod is easy to do "bubba mod", 4-way switch mod like a Baja is easy. If you get a stock MIM you'll know where you are at. You already like the MIM Strat you have.

The Squier Affinity Tele are good. I'd lean toward the MIM though.

Skip all the other MIJs, VMs, CVs, etc etc as they will be distracting to the problem. You seem to be searching for the classic starting points.

MIM Standard or Affinity will get you the baseline flavors then you can explore from there.

13. rich815

rich815 Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Most of the people who think CV are junk are those who spent 4-digits on their tele and cannot stand that a CV, especially with just a few minor upgrades, might actually sound or play just as well. That said I do prefer Hwy 1 Fenders mostly for the nitro finish but have a few partscaster teles and strats with CV necks and a surf green CV Bullet strat that plays beautifully after pup, tuner, pots and trem/bridge upgrades (I put those dreaded ceramic MIM pups in it! And it sounds great!)

Taurus, Omar, Grux and 2 others like this.

14. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    Actually there are only a few 3 saddle vintage style bridges that fit the screw positions on MIM. There are some but you can't buy the Fender or Glendale 3 barrel to replace it and these to me are the best to get the classic Tele and slightly mircophonic bridge pickup that Teles are famous for.

15. bigtuna

Dec 5, 2017
    s.w. mo
    That color is called midrange. Isn't that cool. Squier S.E. which really in a nutshell means it has a full size thick body. And a full size very sweet playing neck. I just painted it. Was black. And missing paint chunks.any way in my opinion a step down from the classic vibe. Getting ready to order a loaded p.g. w/a 7way switch. Alnico p/us. And then it will be a legit player.

16. bigtuna

Dec 5, 2017
    s.w. mo

17. bigtuna

Dec 5, 2017
    s.w. mo
    Buy the classic vibe. Plug and play ready. Pocket the rest you would have spent on the mim.

Taurus, Grux and Stratoskater like this.

18. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    The advantage of buying from Guitar Center is that you can return the guitar there rather than pay to ship it back if you find you don't like it. These tribute G&L ASATS are only stocked online...I never saw them in stock in locals GC stores.

I own this guitar and I like it. I've played it at a few gigs and it did quite well! The playability is on par with my MiA strat. BUT, it was only after having it attended to by a pro with a pro set up and refinishing the frets.

I have read online reviews where people thought they were great out of the box...so you may have a different experience.

I also happen to really like this color...that sent me over the edge. If you lined up a bunch of teles in all of the typical colors, this is what I would have chosen.

Strat Jacket likes this.

19. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    It is free shipping. As I said in my other post...the big advantage here is ease of return if you don't like it, assuming you have a GC you can easily drive to.

What's interesting is this is exactly the deal I got on mine...almost exactly one year ago!! It will be interesting to see if the strat they have in this color comes up next for the same price :).

Strat Jacket likes this.

20. archetype

archetype Strat-O-Master

Nov 26, 2016
    Williamsville NY

Strat Jacket likes this.