Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Tele choices

Discussion in 'Telecaster/Esquire Forum' started by Strat Jacket, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Omar

Omar Most Inquisitive Junior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 9, 2017
    Marbella, Spain
    @Guitarmageddon

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-A-Holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    No Squier or Fender product is complete junk - I have an FSR Squier Bullet Tele, Surf Green with rosewood fretboard - amazing quality. I don't like Fender Mexico or USA, only Squier for me!

Grux, Triple Jim and Omar like this.

3. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Strat-Talker

Jul 22, 2011
    Venice, CA
    I think the Baja Telecasters are the best deal for a Telecaster around. They were designed by the Fender Custom Shop and come with great pickups but have the MIM price.

4. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    The only thing that fender does for me that squier doesn't, is it has a neck pocket that pretty much lines up with the majority of fender necks. That is really one of the only advantages that isn't easily taken away by an electronics swap, or a little bit of fretwork. Squiers tend to be far from universal, but that only matters when modding and swapping parts.

You get a lot more guitar for your 175 dollars worth, than a person spending 1,750 for a USA Tele.. that's for sure.

Strat Jacket likes this.

5. Guitarmageddon

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Squier is 100% universal and exact to Fender specs...the only time they weren't was like before 2004....

The new ones don't even neet fretwork, or any work - check 'em out!

Strat Jacket and nickmsmith like this.

6. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    Did not know that! Most of the squiers I modded were older. Cool.

So I could buy a new bullet tele, and a mim neck would line right up. Screw holes and everything?

7. Guitarmageddon

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Not screw holes and everything....that's not guaranteed from even one Fender to another made in the same factory and the exact same model.....

90% of the time yes but maybe not...it will fit the pocket though perfectly....

Strat Jacket and nickmsmith like this.

8. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Senior Stratmaster

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    So I almost bought a Tele tonight.:whistling:
    I had a quick moment to stop by the LGS as I was driving near it; stopped in and saw my sales guy and told him I was interested in the Classic Vibe Tele. He said that a few were on order and should be in around the last week of June and he could go around $350. Sounded OK to me, I said I would check back in a week or two.:)
    In the mean time, I saw on the sidebar ad here on the forum that Musician's Friend was advertising the G&L ASAT Tele for the same price...no sales tax, ships free 2 day shipping. Hmm. I actually liked the looks of the ASAT a bit better than the CV, loved the Olympic White color, and the tuners look much higher quality than the Kluson crap copies on the CV (I tossed my original Klusons in the garbage from my '65). So, what the heck, right? So I put one in my 'cart'.
    Then a little "oh yeah" pops up...ships 9/11.:eek:
    NINE ELEVEN?!!! Are you serious?:confused:
    Yep, they were. They apparently wanted me to pay for it now and wait until September for delivery.
    Um, no. I was born at night but not last night.
    I think I'll wait until the CV's come in at the LGS and see if I like them. That's a whole lot sooner than September. And maybe I can get my guy to knock off another 20 bucks while I'm at it.

9. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Best Teles around? Depends on how you like your necks. If you like slim necks, the Classic Vibes are excellent. I love the neck on my CVC Tele - the only drawback is that they only offer them in sunburst.

If you like fat necks, the Baja 50s Tele is the way to go. Not just a very nice guitar, but the pickups are better (IMHO) than the pickups in many Custom Shop Teles.

Ebidis, irie, RadioFM74 and 1 other person like this.

10. Strat Jacket

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    Speaking of the G&L ASAT...
    Why does both MF and GC have numerous models available on their website at the normal everyday price, yet the Stupid Deal/Daily Pick ones are not available?
    Is there something wrong with those sale models, were they 'on sale' because they were returns or factory seconds, etc?
    And why the HUGE price gap between the Indonesian ASATs and the domestic ones?
    More and more I feel like I probably need to actually PLAY the Tele I buy...regardless of any 'super savings'...to avoid getting somebody's return or factory second. Would any of you agree or am I being too picky?

11. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    The just had a blowout sale on them...both MF and GC. They may have had limited stock and sold them out. At $299 especially, it's a fantastic deal...so they sold them out. That would be my guess.

Why these go on sale periodically I don't know. The bluesboy model goes on sale also.

Nadnitram and Strat Jacket like this.

12. RJ Squirrel

RJ Squirrel Strat-Talker

Jan 28, 2018
    Frostbite Falls
    I have a CIJ 50's Bigsby Tele that I like a lot. I want two more Esquire types. I want one with a light weight Mahogany body, SSV neck with rosewood fingerboard, and a P90 pickup, kind of an Esquire meets LP Junior smashup. The second Esquire type I want is a lightweight Ash body, SSV one piece maple neck, and a late 50s Tele bridge pickup. I believe that my best options would be to assemble partscasters to get what I want.

Strat Jacket likes this.

13. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 10, 2009
    Texas
    Charvel Style 2!

HH Tele.jpg

Nadnitram likes this.

14. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Strat-O-Master

I think there are a few points you’d really have to clarify to yourself before pulling the trigger. What neck profiles do you like? Vintage or modern bridge and tuners (that’s way more important on a strat than on a tele)? What pickup “flavor”: muscular 50s, twangier late 50s/60s, modern? Fredboard radius and fretwire?

There’s plenty of decent to great teles on the market at very affordable prices: CV Squiers, Baja 50s and Baja 60s teles, Classic series, heck even Standard MIMs have their fervent admirers… But you have to know a bit more about those basic options, because the specs cover all the variations I’ve been talking about. For instance, if “full vintage” is your set preference, and you don’t like thin necks, your choice is basically among the Classic Series 50s and 60s.

If you have no idea, you owe it to yourself to try a few teles around. I’d say: CV Squiers and the whole Mex range (but really, put your hands on any tele you come across and this will give you an idea of the variations I was talking about).

If I were you, I’d look up a used Classic Series or Baja … but I’m not you :D

One thing is for sure: you’re right to want a tele! As Jim Weider said: “If you don’t have a toothbrush, and you don’t have a telecaster, you’re in trouble"

Strat Jacket likes this.

15. Strat Jacket

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    Good questions, all...and ones I don't necessarily have the answers to.
    The only Tele I played is my brother's American Standard through a Blues Jr. I love it. Love the sound and the neck. I've always been a Strat guy and never figured I'd be shopping for a Tele.
    I love the Tele sounds of (early LZ) Jimmy Page, Danny Kirwan, Rory Gallagher and Roy Buchanan. Not really a rockabilly or country player, so my sound would lean more towards blues/rock rather than Nashville sound. After playing my brother's, I'm pretty sure I want to stay in the 'original equipment' camp when it comes to pickups; at least for my first Tele (*rolls eyes*):rolleyes:
    As far as necks go; again, I can only compare it to the AS or my Strats. I get on fine with both my MIM Strat and my '65 Strat necks, though the profile is definitely different.
    I think what you are telling me is "play it before you buy it" rather than taking a coin toss on an internet sale?
    At the moment, my top two contenders are the Classic Vibes Tele and the Indonesian G&L ASAT.

RadioFM74 likes this.

16. bear_down_chicago

bear_down_chicago Strat-Talker

May 13, 2018
    chicago, USA
    SJ .. what part of Illinois are you in? A bunch of MIM used for roughly $400 floating around.

This one looks interesting ... the pickups look nice and he’s already lowered the price once. Not crazy about the stickers on it though ...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/558426841192523

Strat Jacket likes this.

17. Strat Jacket

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    I'm squeezed neatly between you (Chicago) and Kenosha. I'm a bit leery about buying used, honestly. I would almost rather take a bit of a hit on price knowing it came from a legit dealer. I have seen some wonky stuff being done to guitars by kids and hacks that they try to cover up or pretend it never happened.

RB522 and fattboyzz like this.

18. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 24, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    I have recently been looking for a Butterscotch Blonde Tele with the translucent finish.. I looked all over the internet for the best deal but came up finding most were out of stock :(

Monday I walked in to the local M&A and what's hanging there ? The Squier Affinity Telecaster I wanted for $179 .

I plugged it in and enjoyed it for 10 or 12 minutes ,then put it on layaway :D:p:D

I was told it wasn't a real Tele because it didn't have the proper bridge & saddles. Body wasn't the correct thickness. Neck was to thin..blah ,blah ,blah... It played wonderfully an sounded great in all 3 positions !

Strat Jacket likes this.

19. bear_down_chicago

bear_down_chicago Strat-Talker

May 13, 2018
    chicago, USA
    Gotcha ... understand. There’s a few decent ones up in Milwaukee on Craigslist if you feel like getting adventurous. I actually work in Lake Forest and live in NW burbs ... so probably not far from you!

Strat Jacket likes this.

20. Strat Jacket

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    I probably pass you on the tollway every day...LOL!

bear_down_chicago likes this.