Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Tele choices

Discussion in 'Telecaster/Esquire Forum' started by Strat Jacket, Jun 11, 2018.

1. bear_down_chicago

bear_down_chicago Strat-Talker

May 13, 2018
    chicago, USA
    Oh yeah ... keep an eye on Daves guitar shop site. They ship for free and no taxes shipping to Illinois and if you have a problem and need to return it, they have a shop in Milwaukee (I confirmed you can return one even if it ships from their Lacrosse store which has most of the inventory). You might pay a little more, but it’s nice having a safety net of a return policy.

Strat Jacket likes this.

2. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Senior Stratmaster

May 11, 2018
    Illinois

3. bear_down_chicago

May 13, 2018
    chicago, USA

4. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Strat-O-Master

Totally with you on the ‘original equipment’. For your first tele, buy a classic one. And to me, this extends to buying one with the 3-saddles bridge. I’m such a traditionalist that I pulled out of my Baja the 4-way and S1 switches :D

Also right about the “play it before you buy”, although it might be impractical for you. Actually, what I am suggesting is that you try a few teles of all descriptions and price ranges around, even if you’re going to buy on the internet, just to get an idea of the various flavors of tele.

And if you can: buy used. I hear you that there’s a lot of junk being sold for gold around, but risks are reduced if you buy from a shop or, say, and individual seller with good rep and return policy on Reverb. That would open up for you the upper MIM ranges (Classic and Baja) which are GREAT teles. And by great I don’t mean “great for the price”. My Baja 60s held its own when I A/Bd it with a lovely ’66 vintage I went auditioning (walked away telling myself that there was no reason to spend 4k$ when I already had my Baja…). It then shredded to bits many late 60s/early 70s I A/B’d it with, and has the same place in my heart as my AV52. Great neck, great pickups, great appointments.

PS: for a great blues tele sound, don’t miss out on Robben Ford’s “Blue Moon”.
    PPS: enjoy the quest!

Strat Jacket likes this.

5. bear_down_chicago

May 13, 2018
    chicago, USA
    FYI. Got an alert that musicians friend is having the Stupid Deal of the hour event again tomorrow. So I'd keep an eye on that .... Pretty good possibility of some form of Tele being in there .

Bob the builder likes this.

6. bear_down_chicago

May 13, 2018
    chicago, USA
    Strat Jacket likes this.

7. Strat Jacket

May 11, 2018
    Illinois

8. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Senior Stratmaster

Jul 18, 2017
    The Heartland
    I have no experience with the ASAT, but I bought a G&L Legacy Tribute last summer on the SDOD. It is better than any of the MIM Strats I have owned. It has better pickups than a MIM, and the dual fulcrum bridge is far better than the MIM bridge.

I don't know how any of that translates to the ASAT. I'm certain I'd prefer the six-barrel ASAT bridge to the CV's three-barrel bridge, but some purists would hang me out to dry on that account. It appears both have Alnico pickups.

BallisticSquid and Strat Jacket like this.

9. Strat Jacket

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    I have been told by some that the 3-barrel bridges give off a better harmonic tone than the individual six-saddle bridges but you couldn't prove it by me either way. The only Tele I've played to date is an American Standard with six saddles.

Nadnitram likes this.

10. RB522

RB522 Strat-Talker

Nov 23, 2017
    Wisconsin
    May I suggest looking for a MIJ Telecaster ? I have one and quite honestly, it's one of my favorite guitars. I found it used at a music store in Kenosha for $300.

Strat Jacket likes this.

11. Strat Jacket

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    I will certainly keep that in mind! Probably the same music store I frequent...
    I am waiting to play the Classic Vibe Teles that are supposed to arrive middle/end of next week.

RB522 likes this.

12. RB522

RB522 Strat-Talker

Nov 23, 2017
    Wisconsin
    You're probably talking about Music Center. That's the place I'm usually going to. The Telecaster actually came from a place that's no longer in business, called K-Town music.

Strat Jacket likes this.

13. Strat Jacket

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    I am.
    There is also a Music Go Round that I've visited but I found their prices high for used gear on average.

RB522 likes this.

14. RB522

RB522 Strat-Talker

Nov 23, 2017
    Wisconsin
    Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Merry - Go - Round. The last time I was in there, most of the stuff wasn't used so much as it was flat out beat. They always have a few nice things that are grossly overpriced and kept away from the casual shopper.

Strat Jacket likes this.

15. Strat Jacket

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    So you shop MC too, then?
    I've always found Todd and Glen to be straight shooters that don't try to sell you something you don't want or need, and no pressure either. I feel comfortable buying from either one of those guys.

16. RB522

RB522 Strat-Talker

Nov 23, 2017
    Wisconsin
    They're both good guys. I've been doing business there for years. I bought my 78 Strat new from MC back when they were on 30th Ave. The building they're in now was my old elementary school years ago.

Strat Jacket likes this.

17. Strat Jacket

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    Wow, cool! I got to know those guys by taking my son for guitar lessons every Friday night for three years back in the early millenium. He would get lessons and I would hang out with those guys and BS, monkey with gear and guitars and generally make a nuisance of myself though they never seemed to mind.

18. RB522

RB522 Strat-Talker

Nov 23, 2017
    Wisconsin
    As long as you're not being a jerk, they're really cool about letting you play with stuff. After 40 years of buying stuff there, I get better prices than on any of the online places. I bought a Vox AC 15 there about 3 years ago for $510. I think it was $625 online. Maybe I'll run into you there one of these days.

Strat Jacket likes this.

19. Strat Jacket

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    You probably already have at one time or another!
    I bought my MIM Strat and Deluxe 90 from those guys, plus gear for my son as well. It's nice to have a place you can trust.