Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Tele necks on strat bodies

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by jesuscares, Feb 22, 2009.

1. jesuscares

jesuscares Strat-Talk Member

Has anyone tried it? DO they fit well.I like tele necks.Tele pups too have a unique sound.I like the strat body though.

2. bruceffect

bruceffect Strat-Talk Member

You need a squier 51. Strat style body with a tele neck. The tele and strat necks are shaped differently at the heel.

3. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Strat-Talker

In order to fit a Tele neck to a Strat body, The neck pocket must be re-routed to fit the square Tele heel. The depth, length and width of the pocket is the same.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Jefro

Jefro Senior Stratmaster

So the rounded edges/profile is the only thing keeping them from fitting ? I never knew this but glad that I do now since I've often thought about doing this.

6. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Strat-Talker

That's the only difference. The heel of a Strat has a slight radius, a Tele's is dead flat. The corners of both are slightly rounded.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  7. kdda191

kdda191 Former Member

This little guy right here. Squire 51 & I paid $100 for it.

[​IMG]

8. Strat-Man-Do

Strat-Man-Do Senior Stratmaster

What is MINI STOCK CAR RACING? Whats the Mini part?

I didn't know you had to route anything for a tele neck to fit a Strat? I know one is round the other Square. But it will bolt right on. With 22 fret MIA necks the fret board edge will cover the space left by the different neck. A 21 fret neck will show the difference.

9. johnner72

johnner72 Strat-Talker

Here's a pic of some guy who seems to have had some success with his Tele neck / Strat body conversion ;)

Attached Files:

10. kdda191

kdda191 Former Member

Its a short wheel base, 4 cyl car. Fox Body Mustangs, Pinto's, Vega's, Toyota Corolla's, Toyota Celica's, Some Nissan's and Volkswagen's.

11. jmpro

jmpro Strat-Talk Member

A Tele neck on a Strat works just fine. Just bolt it on and play it.
    [​IMG]

12. Eight Ball

Eight Ball Strat-Talker

Hmm, cool!

Do you know his name by any chance? ;) :D

13. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Strat-Talker

A Strat neck will bolt right into a Tele body with no problem. There will just be gaps at the corners that would be covered by the pickguard.
    A Tele neck will not fit in a Strat neck pocket with out modification. The neck will not go all the way to the front of the pocket, leaving the scale length about a quarter inch out of whack. Trust me. I build my own guitars and have a fair amount of experience with the different necks.

14. Jii_

Jii_ Strat-Talk Member

15. StratmanNick

StratmanNick Senior Stratmaster

Looks like you need to drive more carefully Kdda191.....;)

On a serious note, on watching that fascinating docufilm about Motown's Funk Brothers, one of the guitarists uses a Tele with a Strat/Jag/Jazzmaster? neck. Must've had similar issues with fitting but in reverse of this thread.

Guess he must've found that neck better for whatever reason. Anyone know?

16. Celeste

Celeste Senior Stratmaster

A lot of strat bodies, especially cheaper ones are getting roughted with a square back on the neck pocket. That makes the tele neck an easy fit. I have a strat and tele build going on now, but my strat body is a cheap DR Parts body ( $45 from rondo. It is a gift to a beginner, so no comments about going cheap), and has a square back.

This is a strat neck on a tele body. guitars :: DSCN0364redu.jpg picture by CeCeHall - Photobucket As you can see, the radius on the neck makes for small voids in the corners that do not happen with a tele neck. http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d179/CeCeHall/guitars/DSCN0362redu.jpg If the strat body has the square rought that seems to be gaining popularity, the tele necks is no problem http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d179/CeCeHall/guitars/DSCN0365redu.jpg If the body is cut to fit a strat neck tightly, a tele neck will not drop in deep enough and will make the scale length to long. I do not have a pic of how this looks but hopefully you can imagine it from the pics.

17. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Strat-Talker

Here is the difference in pocket shape between a normally cut Strat and Tele.

Attached Files:

18. elementlax

elementlax Senior Stratmaster

it will fit, just not very snug (at all)