Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Tele Parts for High School Kids

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by carolinaeasy, Sep 28, 2017.

1. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Senior Stratmaster

Hey guys,

If you haven't learned by now, I am a high school teacher and one of the coolest parts of my job is watching students get excited about something in their lives. This year one of the tech ed teachers, a learning support teacher, and myself have started a guitar builder's club here at the school. We meet once a week for 40 minutes during the school day. We currently have 6 students who attend weekly and are in the process of getting safety certified on the machines in the shop. Our end goal is for each student to build his (no females signed up, but we hope to change that next year) own telecaster. We have a CNC machine and some really nice 53 tele drawings to use for the body. Since this is our first year we are sticking to making the bodies only, we are buying the necks right now. What I wanted to see from all the kind folks here is if anyone had any spare tele parts they could part with for a low cost to help these young men build their guitars a bit cheaper. Right now they are fundraising to get the $120 we have estimated for the cheapest parts. If you have anything that could help please reach out to me. I will be having everything shipped to our school, so you can rest assured this isn't some scam to allow me to build a new tele! (Although I am building a pine caster with the kiddos).

fattboyzz, Thin69, thatfiend and 13 others like this.

2. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

that's a great idea! i don't have anything specifically fender/squier but i do have a pickguard, a humbucker and maybe some other parts... i bet if you reached out to allparts or warmoth or guitar fetish they'd hook you up for this project. after all you're delvering them potential future customers when they decide they need to build another!

velvet_man, gofmusic, s5tuart and 6 others like this.

3. carolinaeasy

4. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Stratocrastinator Extraordinaire Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2015
    Paris suburbs, France
    Great project!!!

carolinaeasy likes this.

5. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2015
    Maryland
    I have a no name soap bar pick up laying around if a student feels adventurous.

carolinaeasy likes this.

6. carolinaeasy

@mjark I’ll be in touch of someone goes that route. However, I have a feeling most are going to go traditional or Micawber in the builds!

mjark likes this.

7. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    I'll check in the morning...
    The drawer with that stuff is right next to my sleeping wife.
    I think I have a bridge and pair of pickups

carolinaeasy likes this.

8. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

I have a used humbucker, a new hardtail bridge, a new gold neck plate, and some various (new) screws I can donate if you're interested. May take several weeks to arrive to you, would that be too late? If not, let me know where to send them and I'll get them out on Saturday.

carolinaeasy likes this.

9. pwhite

pwhite Strat-Talker

May 24, 2015
    South Carolina
    I have a new gold Wilkinson compensated bridge and a new set of gold set of gold ferrules. I can get them out on Monday.

carolinaeasy likes this.

10. banjaxed

banjaxed Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Mar 14, 2014
    Liverpool UK
    Pity you are not building strats as I could have donated several parts :(

11. carolinaeasy

It is a year long club so it wouldn't be! I can also pick up your tab for shipping!

dueducs likes this.

12. carolinaeasy

I'll PM you! Thanks!

dueducs likes this.

13. carolinaeasy

Folks,

I always knew this was a special place, but so many people have reached out to help and literally are helping to make these young men's projects come to life! I will be starting a thread Monday showing our work progress. Due to federal privacy regs I cannot post any of the student's faces, but we will show them working in ways that we legally can!

Mansonienne, montemerrick and Bodean like this.

14. carolinaeasy

If these T style builds work out, next year we plan on doing S types. I am going to be working on contours with my body to see how difficult the process will be, and to see if it is something our students can handle.

15. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

Are you sourcing import ebay bits 'n bobs? A set of Tele pickups can be $10, tuners $10, control plates with pots $5 ... Build Esquires with a combo bridgeplate, pickup, and saddle assembly was maybe $7 or a humbucker set for $15 that can be used on two guitars. I have a MIM HH that I Esquired and used one pickup from a set of these that I dismantled the stock 2-wire pickup into two sets of wires and connected it to a four-way switch.

For sheer creativity with a minimized platform I'd have the kids go through these threads and look for inspiration.

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/club-51-the-squier-51-owners-club.172817/

https://web.archive.org/web/2011052...er51/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=891&whichpage=1

You'll need to run a lottery with the kids to select from the donated parts.

Great project to get the kids interested in building.

16. carolinaeasy

I have created a parts list, using prices from the cheapest suppliers for new parts. I have also instructed the students on how to source their own parts from reverb, ebay, etc. Right now, minus the wood for the body we have this priced at $120 a student using mostly GFS parts. But with the awesome parts coming in we will be able to allow them to upgrade elsewhere with the cost savings they will get from these parts.

What I intend to do for fairness sake, is put a price on all of the parts that come in, and a few very generous donations have come in as well which will supply parts. What I plan on doing is let the students each pick out a certain "amount" of parts, so one student doesn't get a bridge and pickups, while another only gets a neck plate and some screws. So that "monetary" value we place on the parts will be used to set the fairness of the part distribution. We will attempt to balance this out as best as we can. It won't be perfect, but I am willing and able to dig into my own pocket to help balance things out if need be.

Mansonienne likes this.

17. Keith268

Keith268 Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 16, 2016
    Charlotte
    Great project! Needs to be in every high school.

Bob the builder and carolinaeasy like this.

18. carolinaeasy

I wish I could say it was my idea, but the industrial arts teacher saw me playing my fiesta tele, and my jazzmaster at a local bar and overheard me telling a guy that I put them both together. That got his wheels spinning and here we are today!

19. TomH8

TomH8 Strat-O-Master

May 1, 2014
    USA
    Sounds awesome. I have some tuners from a classic vibe tele. Let me know if you're interested.

carolinaeasy likes this.

20. carolinaeasy

Definitely, that is a huge addition for one of these boys! Check you inbox!