Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Tele Parts for High School Kids

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by carolinaeasy, Sep 28, 2017.

1. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

@carolinaeasy - Just checking in to see how the projects are coming along. I still have those gold vintage style tuners if you want them. Happy Holidays.

Green Craig and s5tuart like this.

2. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 24, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    These boys will carry this experience with them for the rest of their life !

Very Cool stuff right here :thumb::thumb::thumb:

carolinaeasy likes this.

3. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Senior Stratmaster

Thanks for asking, most of the students have their bodies cut out and are getting ready for the body finishing stage. One student is doing an American flag on the front of his Tele, which looks really cool in the layout he has sketched. We will not meet until Jan 8th so I won’t have any additional photos until then. And as for this tuners? We could use a set for sure, I’ll pm you with the school’s address.

dueducs, s5tuart and Chont like this.

4. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

I still have the address. I'm in Istanbul for the next few days, so I'll get them out on Wed. or Thurs. Cheers.
    Looking forward to seeing the American Flag Tele.

Green Craig and s5tuart like this.

5. s5tuart

s5tuart My Dad used to say.... Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 8, 2011
    Bedford, UK
    Yes, I'm looking forward to that one too! :D

Green Craig likes this.

6. Green Craig

Green Craig Senior Stratmaster

Oct 15, 2012
    Michigan
    Heck, I'm excited for all of these.

s5tuart likes this.

7. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    How goes the projects? Are the kids learning a new appreciation for their instruments? We're looking forward to some pics.

s5tuart likes this.

8. carolinaeasy

Here is a huge pic dump. We are getting closer to finishing the bodies! IMG_0159.JPG IMG_0161.JPG IMG_0165.JPG IMG_0166.JPG IMG_0076.JPG IMG_0164.JPG IMG_0188.JPG IMG_0189.JPG IMG_0191.JPG

Mansonienne, Chont, dueducs and 7 others like this.

9. banjaxed

banjaxed Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Mar 14, 2014
    Liverpool UK
    Looks like things are progressing very well.

10. carolinaeasy

Most of the students have routed the rollover edge of the guitar, and are now in the process of sanding. We are going to start drilling the input jacks, string holes, ferrules, and the worm holes this coming week.

The one body made of pine is going to be painted with a stars and stripes design, which on paper, looks incredible!

The next step is to prep the bodies for finishing work, then adding the hardware and necks that many of you donated. I will post individual pics of each finished guitar when they are completed.

Mansonienne, Chont, dueducs and 3 others like this.

11. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    Very cool. Thank you for the updated and for letting us be a part of it.

carolinaeasy likes this.

12. carolinaeasy

Thank you all for making this affordable for these kids, I don't post pics of the kids due to privacy laws, but the finished products will allow you all to see your parts on the actual guitar! Our school board has taken an interest in this process as well. We are hoping for a modest budget next year to buy some parts of these.

Btw, what are some of your thoughts on poplar as a body wood? We used a bunch of it due to availability and price.

Mansonienne, Chont and s5tuart like this.

13. s5tuart

s5tuart My Dad used to say.... Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 8, 2011
    Bedford, UK
    Great!!!!! Of course, the skill comes in being able to teach the kids in the first place! You have to know how to do everything and more importantly, know WHY you do it that way! :D :D

Mansonienne and carolinaeasy like this.

14. carolinaeasy

We now have students researching different techniques and coming in and discussing them with us. There have been a number of great things happening thanks to this project. Even the validity of sources has been discussed, this has been a fantastic learning project.

Mansonienne and dueducs like this.

15. Green Craig

Green Craig Senior Stratmaster

Oct 15, 2012
    Michigan
    Poplar should be pretty easy to work with. It's what they use to make wooden shoes out of, if you're into that sort of thing. I think they'd be better paint bodies, since I don't think there's a whole lot of character in the grain...

16. carolinaeasy

Just a bit of an update, most of the guitars are now in the sanding and wood grain filler stage, although a few have veered off into some pretty cool other areas. One young man has etched his brother's Navy group’s emblem into the back of the Tele and is going to inlay cherry into the grooves prior to a clear finish. More photos will be up in the next few days. But for now, here is the aforementioned Navy guitar. IMG_0289.JPG IMG_0290.JPG

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018

17. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Thanks for the updates. Those 'kids' are gaining skills for a lifetime! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

18. carolinaeasy

Major pic dump! We are starting to see some paint jobs happening. There is a reranch, shell pink tele, and a rattle can milky way galaxy guitar being made. Final builds will start happening soon. We are stalling out a bit due to the fact we only have one paint booth, and only so much time to meet. But we have lots of school year left, so I picture most of these to be painted by the end of this month. Thanks again to all who have helped make this happen!

image.jpeg image[1].jpeg image[2].jpeg

Attached Files:

Mansonienne, dueducs, Chont and 2 others like this.

19. carolinaeasy

And another pic dump. image.jpeg image[1].jpeg

Attached Files:

20. carolinaeasy

You will also see in the image7 of the first post a jig we made to help the 7/8 forstner bit stay in line and get started. The students were having trouble while practicing on their spare wood, so we asked them to think of a solution. The jig you see is what they developed. That was one of my favorite moments in the build so far.