Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Tex Mex Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Yaralag, May 17, 2018.

1. Yaralag

Yaralag Senior Stratmaster

Did the Tex Mex Strat (1996 predecessor to Jimmie Vaughn) ever have a modern C neck?

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  2. CephasG

CephasG Strat-O-Master

Dec 13, 2017
    Land of Lincoln
    Wasn't that like a prototype Jimmie Vaughn strat? Most of what I read is they didn't change much with the signature, so I am assuming, it was always soft-v. Can't back it up, though, sorry.

Elvie and Yaralag like this.
  3. Yaralag

It was a proto type I suppose. I’m looking at one for sale and it claims to have a modern C neck. I haven’t actually contacted the person yet but thought I would run by the strat talk crowd first.

4. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Senior Stratmaster

Jul 21, 2015
    USA
    i own two '96 Tex Mex strats and will own another someday because I like the way they play. Compared to a Standard of the same era, the Tex Mex have larger, med-jumbo frets and vintage string spacing of 2 7/16, not 2 1/4 like a Standard. Radius is 9.5 according to Fender spec sheet.

I'm not enough of a Strat connesoir to accuratly tell you if it's a modern C.
    To my hands the back of the neck feels slightly flatter than a C,,,but I've not owned or played tons of strats.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    Mech and Yaralag like this.
  5. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Senior Stratmaster

Aug 7, 2009
    austin texas
    I was a slim modern C shape like on the standard series Strats except fretted with medium jumbos.The Jimmie Vaughan model evolved from it with it's V shape neck.

Yaralag likes this.
  6. Yaralag

Thanks!

sonny wolf likes this.
  7. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    It's not any slimmer than a standard neck though, I've got a 96. If anything it feels a tad larger.

[​IMG]

Yaralag likes this.
  8. sjtalon

sjtalon Senior Stratmaster

C neck and med. jumbo frets

Yaralag likes this.
  9. Yaralag

So a 96 Tex Mex is one of the guitars you have kept in your collection? I guess that’s an endorsement for it’s quality.

10. joe_cpwe

Jul 21, 2015
    USA
    ...and the fact that I have two isn't an endorsement? :thumb:

Yaralag likes this.
  11. Lonn

Admin Post
    ...and I only bought this a couple of days ago. Hoping to keep it though.

joe_cpwe and Yaralag like this.
  12. Yaralag

It definitely is... but the way Lonn goes through guitars, I thought that if he had it for a while that it meant something. But, as I just found out he has only had it for a few days. I think I will pull the trigger on this one though. Here is the ad on TDPRI. Let me know what you think.
    http://www.tdpri.com/classifieds/19...ocaster-two-tone-sunburst-free-shipping.4356/

13. joe_cpwe

Jul 21, 2015
    USA
    Looks great, almost pristine. I think someone spent more time changing out parts than they did playing it.:whistling: Looks like a good buy to me.

I got both mine in a slightly more used condition. My vintage white is stock except I wired a tone to the bridge pickup. My black one came SSS but I've made it HSS w/ a Duncan SH-11, it's otherwise stock too.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    Yaralag likes this.
  14. Lonn

Admin Post
    With those upgrades I'd say that's a fair price. I've got mine listed for $425 locally and it's got a fair amount of wear, but it's also got fairly expensive pickup upgrade and a steel block.

Yaralag likes this.
  15. joe_cpwe

Jul 21, 2015
    USA
    I definitely agree it's worth that price,,, as much because of the clean condition as the upgrades. Outside a pickup change, especially if the SD Antiquity Hot is a good pickup (and my hunch is that it's excellent) most of the the upgrades on that guitar weren't necessary. It now has all the wiring, block, nut, and saddle changes that the Internet claims are necessary but a Tex Mex is a fine instrument w/ all-around good parts to begin with.

I like Tex Mex middle and neck pickups but the bridge pickup has left me wanting...twice. Considering this guitar presumably has that issue taken care of, it's a green light at that price.

Looking forward to hearing about it @Yaralag

Yaralag likes this.